Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Awsome sandbox toy

http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg
--
Boris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-09, Boris Mohar wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg

We have a nearby playground with just that toy. It is nice, indeed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Those have been around a while. Yeah, first time I saw one, my first
thought was why the hell didn't someone design that when -I- was a
kid... And yes, I had a go with it... G

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg
--
Boris

I need one in my yard to clean up after my dog.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:10:03 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg

Dayum, I wish we'd had those when I was a kid.

--
Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
--anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 10, 1:59*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:10:03 -0400, Boris Mohar wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg

Dayum, I wish we'd had those when I was a kid.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ggers-ride-ons

One answer; never grow up:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...65918437561074

They were popular in Germany when I was a soldier there in the early
70's. The chaplain roped me into helping with his orphanage project
which included shopping for Kettcars.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:58:30 +0800, "Dennis"
wrote:

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
.. .
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg
--
Boris

I need one in my yard to clean up after my dog.

Never pass up the opportunity to acquire a toy. You need one with
tracks.

My oldest uncle would wade the bays all day with nothing but cigars
and drinking water chasing reds, but complained he was too old and
hurt too bad to walk his rice fields shoveling levees. For a while,
he ran those two wheel drive motorcycles with the tractor treads,
shovel in a scabbard. Then he wised up and got a little John Deere
with the wedge steel wheels and a tiny backhoe. Look maw, no shovel!

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 04:03:50 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jun 10, 1:59Â*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:10:03 -0400, Boris Mohar wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg

Dayum, I wish we'd had those when I was a kid.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ggers-ride-ons

Amazing. Outstanding!

One answer; never grow up:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...65918437561074

They were popular in Germany when I was a soldier there in the early
70's. The chaplain roped me into helping with his orphanage project
which included shopping for Kettcars.

Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? Compare them to now. Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. UFR!

--
Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 10, 8:56*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 04:03:50 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. *Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? *Compare them to now. *Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. *UFR!

All I asked for was access to the shop and the scrap heap, and don't
look too closely at what I made....

It's possible my flying toys set off the Exeter NH UFO hysteria. The
ultra-lightweight poly film parachutes that floated away on thermals
like milkweed seeds were saucer shaped and glistened white and silvery
from reflected clouds and sun.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:31:38 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jun 10, 8:56Â*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 04:03:50 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. Â*Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? Â*Compare them to now. Â*Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. Â*UFR!

All I asked for was access to the shop and the scrap heap, and don't
look too closely at what I made....

It's possible my flying toys set off the Exeter NH UFO hysteria. The
ultra-lightweight poly film parachutes that floated away on thermals
like milkweed seeds were saucer shaped and glistened white and silvery
from reflected clouds and sun.

Oh, so it was you all along. Wait until I tell NORAD, the CD guys,
NASA, the USAF, and all the rest of 'em.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 10, 7:01*pm, Larry Jaques
It's possible my flying toys set off the Exeter NH UFO hysteria. The
ultra-lightweight poly film parachutes that floated away on thermals
like milkweed seeds were saucer shaped and glistened white and silvery
from reflected clouds and sun.

Oh, so it was you all along. *Wait until I tell NORAD, the CD guys,
NASA, the USAF, and all the rest of 'em.

No one reported them at the time, but they may be what Betty Hill's
sister Janet saw. I was elsewhere during the big sighting in
Kensington, which sounded to me like a student prank hot air balloon
that glowed like a Japanese paper lantern.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? Compare them to now. Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. UFR!

It used to be all a sportsman needed was an old pickup truck and a little
boat with a motor to go fishing with. Now there's an arms race of guys with
monster trucks and brand-new shiny boats showing up at the fishing holes.

I liked it better before.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
.. .
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg
--
Boris

I need one in my yard to clean up after my dog.

I never have to clean up - when she does her squat, the scoop goes
under and then to the bag. When I take her out, she walks over the
scoop if it will be needed.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
. ..
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg
--
Boris

I need one in my yard to clean up after my dog.

I never have to clean up - when she does her squat, the scoop goes
under and then to the bag. When I take her out, she walks over the
scoop if it will be needed.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Well trained!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:45:48 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? Compare them to now. Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. UFR!

It used to be all a sportsman needed was an old pickup truck and a little
boat with a motor to go fishing with. Now there's an arms race of guys with
monster trucks and brand-new shiny boats showing up at the fishing holes.

I liked it better before.

Jon

And what, pray tell, was wrong with oars?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? Compare them to now. Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. UFR!

It used to be all a sportsman needed was an old pickup truck and a little
boat with a motor to go fishing with. Now there's an arms race of guys with
monster trucks and brand-new shiny boats showing up at the fishing holes.

I liked it better before.

To to hunting now, you need a grand worth of special pattern camo
gear, a $4k rifle, a $1k rangefinder, a $12k quad, $2k in camping
gear, a hunting license, etc.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? Compare them to now. Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. UFR!

It used to be all a sportsman needed was an old pickup truck and a little
boat with a motor to go fishing with. Now there's an arms race of guys with
monster trucks and brand-new shiny boats showing up at the fishing holes.

I liked it better before.

Jon

And what, pray tell, was wrong with oars?

Leave the 'ores onshore and take the motorboat out for some quiet time
with the fishies.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? Compare them to now. Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. UFR!

It used to be all a sportsman needed was an old pickup truck and a little
boat with a motor to go fishing with. Now there's an arms race of guys
with monster trucks and brand-new shiny boats showing up at the fishing
holes.

I liked it better before.

And what, pray tell, was wrong with oars?

Too much like work, and doesn't impress bimbos. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:10:03 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg

Now that..is cool!!!!

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).

The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:10:03 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg

Thinking about it though...how do you keep your lunch hot? No bucket on
the exhaust manifold......damn.

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).

The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Kids nowadays just don't know how good they have it. Remember Mom and
Dad's budgets back then? Compare them to now. Mom and Pop are
dropping a few grand a year on toys today. UFR!

It used to be all a sportsman needed was an old pickup truck and a little
boat with a motor to go fishing with. Now there's an arms race of guys with
monster trucks and brand-new shiny boats showing up at the fishing holes.

I liked it better before.

To to hunting now, you need a grand worth of special pattern camo
gear, a $4k rifle, a $1k rangefinder, a $12k quad, $2k in camping
gear, a hunting license, etc.

Where the hell do you live?

Total kit value for most of the old boys around here is $500...including
the pickup truck G

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).

The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg
--
Boris

I need one in my yard to clean up after my dog.

I never have to clean up - when she does her squat, the scoop goes
under and then to the bag. When I take her out, she walks over the
scoop if it will be needed.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Well trained!

SWMBO says I am anyhow!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
m...
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg
--
Boris

I need one in my yard to clean up after my dog.

I never have to clean up - when she does her squat, the scoop goes
under and then to the bag. When I take her out, she walks over the
scoop if it will be needed.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Well trained!

SWMBO says I am anyhow!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No one reported them at the time, but they may be what Betty Hill's
sister Janet saw. I was elsewhere during the big sighting in
Kensington, which sounded to me like a student prank hot air balloon
that glowed like a Japanese paper lantern.

jsw

reply: Did you see the guys on The Time Bandit do that on Deadliest Catch?
They were about a mile upwind from the Northwestern, and lit off a few dozen
of them. Sig thought he was being invaded, as they would not show up on
radar, and the Time Bandit had turned off its locator identifier beacon. He
was sure nervous for a while there, thinking UFOs.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And what, pray tell, was wrong with oars?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I had one experience with oars. We went to a Utah lake, and a guy from
California had left a boat for the summer with the camp host. They said
anyone could use it. The lake had beavers, so no motors of any type. I was
hesitant, but it was remarkably easy, and we caught lots of fish.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 20:11:11 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

And what, pray tell, was wrong with oars?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I had one experience with oars. We went to a Utah lake, and a guy from
California had left a boat for the summer with the camp host. They said
anyone could use it. The lake had beavers, so no motors of any type. I was
hesitant, but it was remarkably easy, and we caught lots of fish.

I like the newfangled reverse style which allow you to see the #$%^
where you're going much better than standard oars.
http://goo.gl/d9OBt (Read the whole mag. 1943 Pop Sci!)

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I like the newfangled reverse style which allow you to see the #$%^
where you're going much better than standard oars.
http://goo.gl/d9OBt (Read the whole mag. 1943 Pop Sci!)

=========
No worries, mate!

Let's get together for a few Fosters and we'll hire a couple of good lookin'
'oars for the night!

--

Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And what, pray tell, was wrong with oars?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I had one experience with oars. We went to a Utah lake, and a guy from
California had left a boat for the summer with the camp host. They said
anyone could use it. The lake had beavers, so no motors of any type. I was
hesitant, but it was remarkably easy, and we caught lots of fish.

Steve

A canoe and paddles is even better!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote

A canoe and paddles is even better!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Let me tell you about my ONE experience with a canoe. I bought a canoe. I
had this image of me in a canoe ...... a mix of Mark Twain, Ernest
Hemmingway, and Dan'l Boone. I took it to a good sized lake. I left the
dock okay, then was taken by the wind to the other shore, quite a distance.
Along the way, I did more 360's than an ice skater. It took every ounce of
energy I had to get back to the dock at dark thirty.

Never had an urge to get in a canoe since.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Gerald Miller" wrote

A canoe and paddles is even better!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Let me tell you about my ONE experience with a canoe. I bought a canoe. I
had this image of me in a canoe ...... a mix of Mark Twain, Ernest
Hemmingway, and Dan'l Boone. I took it to a good sized lake. I left the
dock okay, then was taken by the wind to the other shore, quite a distance.
Along the way, I did more 360's than an ice skater. It took every ounce of
energy I had to get back to the dock at dark thirty.

Never had an urge to get in a canoe since.

Steve

That's why we invented sails, Steve.

Paddling is hard work!

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:58:39 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote

A canoe and paddles is even better!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Let me tell you about my ONE experience with a canoe. I bought a canoe. I
had this image of me in a canoe ...... a mix of Mark Twain, Ernest
Hemmingway, and Dan'l Boone. I took it to a good sized lake. I left the
dock okay, then was taken by the wind to the other shore, quite a distance.
Along the way, I did more 360's than an ice skater. It took every ounce of
energy I had to get back to the dock at dark thirty.

Never had an urge to get in a canoe since.

Steve

Didnt read a book eh?

Pity.

I miss my canoe. Had a Coleman for years, then sold it to someone who
had more time for it.

Sigh...

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote

That's why we invented sails, Steve.

Paddling is hard work!

--

Richard Lamb

We had a house on the point in Seabrook, Texas with a dock to Galveston Bay
in the yard. We had two of those AMF little sailboats with the wood
centerboard. Open cockpit. Had one HELL of a lot more fun in those than I
had in any canoe. One time, I hit a six foot garfish with the centerboard.
It was like hitting a log, and he jumped out of the water, splashing me. We
could get some decent speed on those. Other people were bringing down
Hobies, et al, and it was great living there.

Google 11th avenue, Seabrook, Tx. Just the pilings left to the house, looks
like it all went commercial. Had some great times there. Kemah is just
across the channel.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 05:41:13 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote

That's why we invented sails, Steve.

Paddling is hard work!

--

Richard Lamb

We had a house on the point in Seabrook, Texas with a dock to Galveston Bay
in the yard. We had two of those AMF little sailboats with the wood
centerboard. Open cockpit.

Ive got an AMF Force 5 that I take out when I cant get any crew for the
Hobi or the 20' Ensenada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_5
http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99force5.html

Picked mine up, on a pretty decent trailer 3 yrs ago..at the
Goodwill....for $150

Sails just fine.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote

That's why we invented sails, Steve.

Paddling is hard work!

--

Richard Lamb

We had a house on the point in Seabrook, Texas with a dock to Galveston Bay
in the yard. We had two of those AMF little sailboats with the wood
centerboard. Open cockpit. Had one HELL of a lot more fun in those than I
had in any canoe. One time, I hit a six foot garfish with the centerboard.
It was like hitting a log, and he jumped out of the water, splashing me. We
could get some decent speed on those. Other people were bringing down
Hobies, et al, and it was great living there.

Google 11th avenue, Seabrook, Tx. Just the pilings left to the house, looks
like it all went commercial. Had some great times there. Kemah is just
across the channel.

Steve

Copy all that, Steve.

My Dad had a house at Crystal Beach on Bolivar peninsula.
After the storm, there was nothing on the peninsula at all.

I loved taking the ferry home. Sure it took a while but it
was a chance to stop and relax on the commute.

Last time I saw Kemah (5 years ago?), it had grown so crowded
that I barely recognized it from my childhood beach memories.

We thought about moving back there, but the heat, humidity,
and humanity talked us out of it.

Besides, most of Galveston Bay is barely 4 feet deep!

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 05:41:13 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote

That's why we invented sails, Steve.

Paddling is hard work!

--

Richard Lamb

We had a house on the point in Seabrook, Texas with a dock to Galveston Bay
in the yard. We had two of those AMF little sailboats with the wood
centerboard. Open cockpit. Had one HELL of a lot more fun in those than I
had in any canoe. One time, I hit a six foot garfish with the centerboard.
It was like hitting a log, and he jumped out of the water, splashing me. We
could get some decent speed on those. Other people were bringing down
Hobies, et al, and it was great living there.

Google 11th avenue, Seabrook, Tx. Just the pilings left to the house, looks
like it all went commercial. Had some great times there. Kemah is just
across the channel.

Steve

Try taking your sail boat a half mile through the bush to take your
twelve year old son fishing in a lake teaming with 2-3 pound big mouth
bass. 6 AM to Noon he caught eight of them, some of which I had to
practically go on shore to get out of the water. Paddling back to the
landing, I had a hell of a time steering the 12 foot canoe until I
took the stringer of fish out of the water - those damned fish didn't
want to go the direction I wanted to go!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sweet! Let me guess, diesel engine noises not included?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
http://i.imgur.com/jMJ2K.jpg
--
Boris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:58:39 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote

[...]

Reply:
Still got my fiberglass canoe. Only thing is they said it weighed 65#.
More like 65 kilos I think :). Still use it once in a while up at June
Lake in the Sierras and also have two kayaks. Ocean Kayak tandem and a
Hobie Outback pedal yak. Love the Hobie. Great fishing platform. Lots
cheaper than the boat I also have. Aluminum (metal content) river jet boat.
Which is in the paint shop for a $4k repaint.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote Copy all that, Steve.

My Dad had a house at Crystal Beach on Bolivar peninsula.
After the storm, there was nothing on the peninsula at all.

I loved taking the ferry home. Sure it took a while but it
was a chance to stop and relax on the commute.

Last time I saw Kemah (5 years ago?), it had grown so crowded
that I barely recognized it from my childhood beach memories.

We thought about moving back there, but the heat, humidity,
and humanity talked us out of it.

Besides, most of Galveston Bay is barely 4 feet deep!

--

Richard Lamb

Been all over there. The ferry boat Thornton was named after a friend of
mine's grandpa. Owned two bars in Galveston. Had some memorable summers
there. The beachhouses in Bolivar, as well as West Beach hold some fond
memories, too. Fished all over that area, around the jetties, on the piers,
in boats. Floundering in the flats was a hoot. Is that old historic
lighthouse still on Bolivar?

Steve

SEA-N-SANDBOX - PDF J T Woodworking 0 December 19th 07 05:24 AM
SANDBOX J T Woodworking 0 December 18th 05 04:49 AM
Sandbox bottom? rob Woodworking 17 August 3rd 05 09:58 PM
Homemade Drykiln is awsome [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 2nd 05 04:57 PM
roof for sandbox donald Home Repair 5 June 2nd 05 09:38 PM