Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Awsome sandbox toy

"Gerald Miller" wrote

Try taking your sail boat a half mile through the bush to take your
twelve year old son fishing in a lake teaming with 2-3 pound big mouth
bass. 6 AM to Noon he caught eight of them, some of which I had to
practically go on shore to get out of the water. Paddling back to the
landing, I had a hell of a time steering the 12 foot canoe until I
took the stringer of fish out of the water - those damned fish didn't
want to go the direction I wanted to go!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Sounds like some of the territory we used to fish in the Atchafalaya Swamp.
Right where lots of Swamp People is filmed. Been to Every location they
show. But in the interior of the Atchafalaya, we would go through stuff in
a little pirogue, or pull a 14' aluminum over levee after levee to get to
special lakes where we would catch more fish than we wanted to clean. I
miss the food and fishing in Louisiana. My crystal ball tells me I'll be
spending some time there soon.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Califbill" wrote

Still use it once in a while up at June
Lake in the Sierras and also have two kayaks. Ocean Kayak tandem and a
Hobie Outback pedal yak. Love the Hobie. Great fishing platform. Lots
cheaper than the boat I also have. Aluminum (metal content) river jet
boat. Which is in the paint shop for a $4k repaint.

Had an Ocean tandem and dive and fish. Didn't like them because one would
get all wet while paddling. Good if weather is warm, not good in cold. But
they were very stable, and easy to handle, and light to carry. Wish I had
kept them, but am considering buying one you sit inside. Has a bit more
cockpit room for tackle box, beer cooler, etc.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote Copy all that, Steve.
My Dad had a house at Crystal Beach on Bolivar peninsula.
After the storm, there was nothing on the peninsula at all.

I loved taking the ferry home. Sure it took a while but it
was a chance to stop and relax on the commute.

Last time I saw Kemah (5 years ago?), it had grown so crowded
that I barely recognized it from my childhood beach memories.

We thought about moving back there, but the heat, humidity,
and humanity talked us out of it.

Besides, most of Galveston Bay is barely 4 feet deep!

--

Richard Lamb

Been all over there. The ferry boat Thornton was named after a friend of
mine's grandpa. Owned two bars in Galveston. Had some memorable summers
there. The beachhouses in Bolivar, as well as West Beach hold some fond
memories, too. Fished all over that area, around the jetties, on the piers,
in boats. Floundering in the flats was a hoot. Is that old historic
lighthouse still on Bolivar?

Steve

I doubt it. I heard it was heavily damages and would be torn down.
But I've not stayed in touch.

You know there is not a single house left on Bolivar, don't you?
The hurricane wiped it clean as a whistle and I heard noone was allowed
to rebuild on the peninsula...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote

You know there is not a single house left on Bolivar, don't you?
The hurricane wiped it clean as a whistle and I heard noone was allowed
to rebuild on the peninsula...

I heard that it was because they couldn't get it zoned as a zoo. From the
start, like many a seaside retreat, built without much forethought, an
accident waiting to happen. Over history, countless little and bigger
communities wiped out after being built in places they had no business being
built in.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 02:21:49 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote

You know there is not a single house left on Bolivar, don't you?
The hurricane wiped it clean as a whistle and I heard noone was allowed
to rebuild on the peninsula...

I heard that it was because they couldn't get it zoned as a zoo. From the
start, like many a seaside retreat, built without much forethought, an
accident waiting to happen. Over history, countless little and bigger
communities wiped out after being built in places they had no business being
built in.

Steve

New Orleans comes to mind as well..in that catagory.

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

I heard that it was because they couldn't get it zoned as a zoo. From the
start, like many a seaside retreat, built without much forethought, an
accident waiting to happen. Over history, countless little and bigger
communities wiped out after being built in places they had no business
being
built in.

Steve

New Orleans comes to mind as well..in that catagory.

New Orleans started as a hideaway for Jean Lafitte. Then it became port of
call for every grifter, octoroon whore, card hustler, and associated person.
It was built on debauchery, and went out, ironically, in the same way.

Fascinating history of a city. As good as it got, and as rotten as anywhere
could be.

Storyville, animal sex shows, Bourbon Street, it goes from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyville

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:16:15 -0700
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 02:21:49 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote

You know there is not a single house left on Bolivar, don't you?
The hurricane wiped it clean as a whistle and I heard noone was allowed
to rebuild on the peninsula...

I heard that it was because they couldn't get it zoned as a zoo. From the
start, like many a seaside retreat, built without much forethought, an
accident waiting to happen. Over history, countless little and bigger
communities wiped out after being built in places they had no business being
built in.

Steve

New Orleans comes to mind as well..in that catagory.

The French at least had enough smarts to build on top of the only
local hill...

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

SEA-N-SANDBOX - PDF J T Woodworking 0 December 19th 07 05:24 AM
SANDBOX J T Woodworking 0 December 18th 05 04:49 AM
Sandbox bottom? rob Woodworking 17 August 3rd 05 09:58 PM
Homemade Drykiln is awsome [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 2nd 05 04:57 PM
roof for sandbox donald Home Repair 5 June 2nd 05 09:38 PM