Old May 22nd 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

Gunner Asch on Wed, 18 May 2011 01:54:09 -0700
On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:37:15 -0500, Ignoramus31865

On 2011-05-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

I have a GM 3/4 ton pickup.

I won, in an auction, a "Ramco RM5000" crane. This crane is similar to
the Harbor Freight truck crane, but is a lot beefier.

It is pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Ramco-RM5000-Truck-Crane.jpg

(not mine, but an identical model).

This is rated for 5k pounds, I am sure for the boom fully retracted.

It has a 8,000 lbs jack. I will put in a longer boom too, and a
winch. I am aware that extending the boom will decrease capacity
proportionally, so a boom that is 4 foot would decrease capacity of
the crane to, say, 1,500 lbs or whatever. I have to call the mfr to
find out. This is stillw ay better than my HF crane.

I have a very large 3/4 inch steel plate, I would say 3x4 feet, that
is rusting in my backyard.

What I thought of doing, is making a cutout on the plate to fit around
a wheel well, and mount it in the back of the truck's bed, and put the
crane on top of it. The Ramco crane would sit in the rear right corner
of the bed, just like this Harbor Freight crane does now:

http://goo.gl/KAN0Y

It has to be a large plate, to spread the weight of the crane and the
levering action that its base would apply to the bed. This particular
plate weighs around 300 lbs and is large enough.

My question is, what sort of constraints do I still have. I would hate
to overturn my truck, break suspension, etc. I would also think that
for heavy lifting, I would need to jack up the right rear wheel too.

Any practical opinions?

A crane with that weight capacity really needs to be mounted to the
frame, not to pickup bed sheetmetal. I think typically it would be
mounted with a beefy bracket under the bed to the frame. A support leg
(trailer jack) for the corner of the truck with the crane is common for
the heavier cranes so you don't apply a concentrated load to the
suspension on one side of the truck and also to stabilize it so it stays
level during the lift instead of tilting to that side.

What I was going to do is put a steel plate, 3x4 feet or so, on the
bed and bolt it to the bed. Would that not be enough support for the
crane? I already have this plate and it is huge.

That plate HAS to be bolted to the frame. Period

Amazing how flexible truck beds can be. Especially to the torque
of an asymmetrical load.

No matter how thick it is.

Oh I don't know, a bed whcih is six inches thick _might_ hold.

Then again, the whole bed might also just come loose from the
frame, from the torque.

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Old May 22nd 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there mounting plate locations on the Frame underneath ?
Attach low and have a hole in the bed going down to the plate.

These almost no frame cars and some trucks might be a nightmare.

Full size trucks have rails for the frame.

Just an idea. Naturally if you have to have the payload area for a load
you are then talking about outriders that you plant into the ground
(plate under them) to stabilize side loads.

Martin

Gunner on Wed, 18 May 2011 01:54:09 -0700

Old October 29th 19, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a 1 ton Chev dually I took a 1/4 inch thick wall pipe and welded it to the side of the frame right behind the spring hanger bracket and weld to it to cut a hole in the bed so the pipe was flush with the bottom of the bed so there was nothing sticking up when the hoist was remove. I use it for years picking up various things I think the heaviest thing I lifted was a 8x8 foot steel disk and loaded it on a trailer I had made a 6 foot boom for mine with capped ends.
Old January 13th 21, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Ignoramus31865, Wing wrote:
Y not ubolt the lift frame to the truck frame. U might want to box the truck
frame where the bolts are. I would make sure to fill the void Btwn the top of
the frame and bottom of box at the mounting points Consider two support
jacks in the rear one on the front right in case u are doing side lift

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...up-504259-.htm

Stabilizing a HF Shop Crane GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 4 July 28th 09 05:10 AM
HF truck crane Ignoramus10340 Metalworking 31 November 3rd 07 03:23 PM
hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane [email protected] UK diy 23 October 5th 05 11:56 PM
Old Crane Sink [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 21st 05 03:53 PM
1957 Crane Sink David McCulloch Home Repair 16 January 31st 04 06:30 PM