Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On May 20, 8:13 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
Yes! From decades of self-teaching, I can suggest my own solution: two or
three books, written by different authors, that explain the same thing in
different ways. ...

Ed Huntress

I've found that I need an intuitive explanation first to provide a
framework to file away the subsequent formulaic ones, which killed me
when I got to Laplace Transforms.

Aha. Yes, I have some of that affliction too. I grow impatient with purely
abstract explanations until I have a picture in my head.

Unfortunately some good mathematicians have a limited ability to think
visually. My first physics teacher couldn't look at a sign support on
the front of a building and tell whether the diagonal brace was in
tension or compression. He had to solve the algebra and see the sign
of the result. A girlfriend's father who taught physics had quit
chemistry because he couldn't imagine the 3 dimensional molecular
structures.

She was a lovely, classy lady who didn't help me concentrate on math
and molecules either.

jsw

You're drifting, Jim. g That's another affliction we share.

--
Ed Huntress