Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where's Gummer?

On 3/8/2011 12:27 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
On Mar 8, 2:45 pm, "Ed wrote:

The objection to substituting private charity for a government safety net
is
that the wealthy individuals who are so generous tend to support those
people, and those ideas, that they favor -- and to hell with everyone
else.
This idea has been floating around for at least 250 years and was a point
of
contention before this country was founded. The real hard-core
conservatives
who provided most of the thought that preceded today's "conservatism" --
people like Milton Friedman, Barry Goldwater and the like -- acknowledged
this point and proposed a negative income tax to deal with it.

--
Ed Huntress

I was not suggesting that private charity ought to be promoted as a
substitute for a government safety net.

I realize that, but there are some here who would take it as a sign that we
should drop the safety net.

I was merely pointing out that Hawke has a unrealistic view of the
world. I think he believes that conservatives are not generous.

I haven't been paying close enough attention to know, but certainly what you
said would make the point.

If you make categories of people and rate their generosity, those that
we call conservative are not going to be near the top in generosity.
It's their nature to be much closer to the bottom. If you know much
about wealthy people and generosity you don't find conservatives being
generous as a habit. You have some super rich conservatives that have
given up large amounts of money in their lives, usually at the tail end.
But you normally don't find conservatives handing out anything. Like I
said, that is against their nature and their philosophy.

You also have many cases where what passes for generosity is actually
just meant to retain wealth. Giving money to foundations or passing it
on to relatives is more about maintaining wealth than being generous.
Also, large charitable contributions are only done for tax advantages
not real generosity. Not only that, studies have shown that the poor are
actually far more generous than the rich at least relatively. Even when
it comes to countries the wealthiest aren't the most generous. As a
percentage of GDP the U.S. is not at the top when it comes to being
generous. So Dan can think what he wants about conservatives and
generosity and use a study here and there to support his belief. But my
life experience and my reading on the subject has convinced me if you
need help from someone the last person you go to is the most conservative.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 9, 3:17*pm, Hawke wrote:

So Dan can think what he wants about conservatives and
generosity and use a study here and there to support his belief. But my
life experience and my reading on the subject has convinced me if you
need help from someone the last person you go to is the most conservative..

Hawke

So where are your facts and figures? Without any facts your
statements are worth nothing. They are just your personal beliefs.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 10, 3:07Â*pm, Hawke wrote:

So where are your facts and figures? Â*Without any facts your
statements are worth nothing. Â*They are just your personal beliefs..

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Dan

While I didn't post any specific figures I can find plenty of
statistics that show wealthy people are stingy when it comes to giving
to others. Many books like the rich and the super rich have chronicled
that. So it's not just an opinion of mine that is not based on anything
but my feelings. There's lots of evidence that backs up my assertion.
The question is how strong is your evidence that conservatives are the
most generous people, one survey?

Hawke

So where are your facts and figures? Without any facts your
statements are worth nothing. They are just your personal beliefs.

Statements like While I didn't post any specific figures I can
find plenty of
statistics that show wealthy people are stingy when it comes to giving
to others.

pretty much say nothing unless you actually post specific figures.

Dan

PS here is a specific figure.

The David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research
(pronounced /ˈkoʊk/ "coke", also referred to as the Koch Institute,
KI, or CCR/KI) is a cancer research center affiliated with the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) located in Cambridge,
Massachusetts, United States. The Institute is one of eight National
Cancer Institute-designated basic research centers in the United
States.[3][4]

The Institute was launched in October 2007 with a $100 million grant
from David H. Koch and will replace the MIT Center for Cancer Research
(CCR) when the 180,000 square feet (17,000 m2) research facility opens
in December 2010.[5][6] The Institute is affiliated with 25 MIT
faculty members in both the Schools of Engineering and Science.[7]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/10/2011 12:47 PM, wrote:
On Mar 10, 3:07 pm, wrote:

[...]

I keep forgetting that I know things that other people don't. In your
case it's clear that you don't know much about the wealthy. If you did
you wouldn't be questioning me. It's common for people to be wrong when
it comes to what they think about the rich and the super rich. But just
as it turns out to be a fact that as a percentage of GDP the U.S. is not
at the top when it comes to foreign aid, the same is true when it comes
to the rich and giving. Most Americans think we are the most generous
nation in the world. We're not. Not per capita.

It's also a well known fact that wealthy people are stingy with their
money except when spending on themselves. If you don't know any stories
about rich people giving nothing to charity while being super rich I'd
be very surprised. You did know about Al Gore's tiny donations to
charity, didn't you? My point is that is normal for the rich. I gave you
the title of a book The Rich and the Super Rich that explains what I am
saying. I didn't just make it up, I never do.

Of course, there are some very generous rich people but they are the
exceptions, and as I said before, giving to a foundation is not charity.
It's a way to maintain wealth and control it without actually giving it
up. It's a tax ploy for the super wealthy. Look into who benefits from a
foundation if you don't believe me. To repeat once again, I've read
about the giving habits of the wealthy. They have a bad reputation for
being tight wads. The poor are far more generous than the rich
relatively speaking. But I've read the books and know the facts. You can
find out just like I did by reading. I'm not going to dig up the
research for you. The rich and the super rich is an old book. Several
more have been written since then and they found the same thing. Rich
people, as a rule are not that generous. One who really is generous, Ted
Turner. He's given billions away. Want some more proof? Try looking up
how much money Donald Trump gives away. And don't forget that for rich
people charitable giving is a tax write off. So don't think giving to
charity instead of giving it up in taxes makes someone generous. It's
just a tax dodge most of the time.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Mar 10, 3:07 pm, Hawke wrote:

[...]

(pronounced /'ko?k/ "coke", also referred to as the Koch Institute,
KI, or CCR/KI) is a cancer research center affiliated with the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) located in Cambridge,
Massachusetts, United States. The Institute is one of eight National
Cancer Institute-designated basic research centers in the United
States.[3][4]

The Institute was launched in October 2007 with a $100 million grant
from David H. Koch and will replace the MIT Center for Cancer Research
(CCR) when the 180,000 square feet (17,000 m2) research facility opens
in December 2010.[5][6] The Institute is affiliated with 25 MIT
faculty members in both the Schools of Engineering and Science.[7]
**************

It means nothing to the people that are told to hate the Koch bros.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:35:47 -0500, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

wrote in message
On Mar 10, 3:07 pm, Hawke wrote:

[...]

Facts and figures just get in the way of Hack's wanting to post the
first thing that pops into his feeble libtard brain.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 10, 3:07*pm, Hawke wrote:

* So Dan can think what he wants about conservatives and
generosity and use a study here and there to support his belief. But my
life experience and my reading on the subject has convinced me if you
need help from someone the last person you go to is the most conservative.

Hawke

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

Try reading the Rich and the Super Rich. I also grew up in Orange
County, Calif. That's a wealthy, white, conservative, stronghold. I have
lots of personal and family experience with conservative people with
money. There's lots of evidence that backs up my assertion.
The question is how strong is your evidence that conservatives are the
most generous people, one survey?

Hawke

I am beginning to believe you did not get a degree. Or maybe you are
one of those that do not improve their intellect by going to college.

We were talking about the relative degree of generosity between
liberals and conservatives. And I come up with facts and figures that
says that conservatives are more generous.

And what do you do? You start talking about growing up in a well off
county and a book about " The Rich and Super Rich ". So explain what
that has to do with the comparative generosity of the average liberal
and conservative? In other words you want to change from discussing
liberals and conservatives to talking about rich people.
I hate to tell you this, but most liberals and conservatives do not
qualify to be discussed as " Rich " or " Super Rich ".

So did they teach you about Non Sequitors at the college you went to?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/11/2011 9:21 PM, Boris Kapusta wrote:

[...]

What facts do you know about the Koch brothers? Do you know that they
inherited their money? They didn't earn it. Did you know they are the
financial backers of the Tea Party and Dick Armey? Do you know they own
the 2nd largest privately held company in the country? It's a coal
company. They actively pursue an anti environmental agenda too. They are
for a dirtier environment. They have an anti global warming campaign
going because a clean environment is bad for the coal business. They
corrupt the government with their lobbying. They're conservatives. Rich,
white, conservatives, who didn't earn their wealth, and are poster boys
for what is wrong with this country. But you know so much about them,
right?

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/12/2011 5:39 AM, wrote:
On Mar 10, 3:07 pm, wrote:

[...]

Maybe I am. Although I doubt that the professors that I learned from
would think that is the case. Neither do people I meet have any trouble
knowing that I am an educated man.

We were talking about the relative degree of generosity between
liberals and conservatives. And I come up with facts and figures that
says that conservatives are more generous.

Actually, all you came up with is one study that said conservatives were
more generous than liberals. It generally takes a lot more research than
that to make one very confident about a claim.

And what do you do? You start talking about growing up in a well off
county and a book about " The Rich and Super Rich ". So explain what
that has to do with the comparative generosity of the average liberal
and conservative? In other words you want to change from discussing
liberals and conservatives to talking about rich people.
I hate to tell you this, but most liberals and conservatives do not
qualify to be discussed as " Rich " or " Super Rich ".

I hate to tell you but almost no one qualifies as being rich or super
rich whatever their political view. It's true we began by talking about
the study that claimed liberals are not as generous as conservatives.
It's also true that I changed that topic slightly from only between
liberal and conservative to wealthy or poor, which to me, didn't seem a
big leap. You said conservatives are more generous than liberals and I
added to that by saying rich are less generous than those with less. I
then just told you how I had personal experience with conservative rich
people and I included a book that supported my own experiences.

So did they teach you about Non Sequitors at the college you went to?

Well, I do know what a non sequitor is. But I don't think that changing
something being discussed from the generosity of conservative vs liberal
to the generosity of the rich vs poor would fall under the definition of
a non sequitor. Because moving from the former to the latter does
follow. It certainly seems germane to the initial subject being
discussed to me.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 12, 4:05*pm, Hawke wrote:

It's also true that I changed that topic slightly from only between
liberal and conservative to wealthy or poor, which to me, didn't seem a big leap.

Fairly big leap without saying one is changing the subject.
Dan

Hawke

Actually I do think you are educated. But think you do not read what
you write before posting.

And I agree with you as far as the generosity of the Rich vs Poor.
But still believe that conservatives , in general, rich or poor, are
more generous than the liberals with the same amount of wealth.

I can come up with more studies on the comparative generosity of
liberal vs conservatives. But the one is pretty conclusive. It
started out to be a book that proved the liberals were more generous.
But the facts did not support that.

Do you have any experience with Rich Liberals?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:22:37 -0800, Hawke
wrote:

[...]

Where did Obama's money come from and how much has he donated to
cancer research?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/12/2011 7:38 PM, Boris Kapusta wrote:

[...]

We'll get to that in a minute. But for now let's get back to the
question asked. What do you know about the Koch brothers? It seems next
to nothing. Google time for you.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/12/2011 1:49 PM, wrote:
On Mar 12, 4:05 pm, wrote:

[...]

Yeah I do, and it's funny because I've known a number of wealthy
liberals who were Jews and you know what? They're some of the nicest and
most generous people I've ever met. Completely against what the
stereotype says. On the contrary the rich, white, business people I've
known don't give anything away. Except when it's for business and they
think it will help them in some way. But that's just my own experience.

Seriously though, the whole idea of who is more generous liberals or
conservatives is a crock of ****. Anyone with a serious background in
social science research wouldn't waste their time with that kind of
thing. First off, how are you going to decide who is a liberal and who
is a conservative? What is the criteria for conservative? I'm a
conservative in many ways. You would be judged a liberal in some things
too. You would have to make the definition of who is what too
restrictive. That's the kind of survey someone does just to make a
political point or to stir up controversy. It isn't real science because
it doesn't really tell you anything.

Now judging the generosity of the rich against other wealth levels,
that's easy to do. It's easy to put a number on what is rich, what is
middle, what is low, and what is poor. Then you can compare how much
they give according to their wealth. These types of survey's have been
done many times already. They do show that most rich people are stingy
and it makes little difference what their political party is. If they
are rich they tend to keep it for themselves. All I can say on the
subject is that personally I have found people who call themselves
conservative don't give much to others. Because they feel they earned
their own way so should everyone else. Your experience may be completely
different.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:45:54 -0800, Hawke
wrote:

[...]

Well what would you like to know?

I'll tell you this , both of them are smarter and better educated than
you, and it didn't take them 50 years to get a liberal arts degree.

Were you really unaware of their donations to cancer research, or do
you believe that rich people can't be philanthropic?

Now, are you going to answer the question about where did Obama's
money come from and how much has he donated to cancer research? Google
time for you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 12:00*am, Hawke wrote:

Seriously though, the whole idea of who is more generous liberals or
conservatives is a crock of ****.
Hawke

Read the book and you will have a better basis for deciding.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that if I had inherited billions from my father I probably
would have a better education than I did get. Being a billionaire helps
in most things in life. It sure helped those boys.

Were you really unaware of their donations to cancer research, or do
you believe that rich people can't be philanthropic?

Do you understand how wealthy being tied for third or fourth richest
American is? The brothers made 9 billion last year. Want to tell me how
much a percentage of that 100 million is? Oh, and it's tax deductible
too. The term filthy rich applies to these people. Not only that one of
them has prostate cancer. How much would you donate to cancer research
if you were a billionaire and had cancer? A lot I'd guess.

Now, are you going to answer the question about where did Obama's
money come from and how much has he donated to cancer research? Google
time for you.

Everything Obama has can be accounted for. His personal money all came
from books he wrote and from his pay as the president. All political
donations are public. So you can find out as easy as I can. Or are you
alleging some new scandal that only you know about?

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It doesn't take billions, it's just a matter of being determined
enough to wake up every day, put your clothes on and go to school. I
hope you aren't trying to say that it took you fifty years to get your
political science degree (which still isn't proven, but I'll let that
slide) because your daddy wasn't a billionaire? Laugh, laugh, laugh. I
got mine in less than half that time and paid for it all by myself.
Sorry, I can't relate to your loser situation.

Were you really unaware of their donations to cancer research, or do
you believe that rich people can't be philanthropic?

Do you understand how wealthy being tied for third or fourth richest
American is? The brothers made 9 billion last year. Want to tell me how
much a percentage of that 100 million is? Oh, and it's tax deductible
too. The term filthy rich applies to these people. Not only that one of
them has prostate cancer. How much would you donate to cancer research
if you were a billionaire and had cancer? A lot I'd guess.

I'm sure they put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us
do. I thought you said earlier that they didn't earn their money, but
now after a bit of googling you eat your words and admit they they are
quite capable of earning money like the rest of us, maybe even better
than the rest of us. Good for you. And also good for you to recognize
that cancer doesn't discriminate between the rich or the poor.

Not that I knew or even cared about their cancer, I'm not really
obsessed about them like you are. It's nice that there are rich
philanthropists to donate to causes like that, it's quite a refreshing
difference from the liberal thieves who help themselves to the
contents of our wallets.

Now, are you going to answer the question about where did Obama's
money come from and how much has he donated to cancer research? Google
time for you.

Everything Obama has can be accounted for. His personal money all came
from books he wrote and from his pay as the president. All political
donations are public. So you can find out as easy as I can. Or are you
alleging some new scandal that only you know about?

Hawke

In other words you couldn't find any donations to cancer by Obama
either.

While I never mentioned any scandals, but I'm sure there are plenty to
find for those interested in uncovering such things. It's intersting
you would bring it up, what can you share?