Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default Where's Gummer?

On 3/10/2011 12:47 PM, wrote:
On Mar 10, 3:07 pm, wrote:

So where are your facts and figures? Without any facts your
statements are worth nothing. They are just your personal beliefs.

Dan

While I didn't post any specific figures I can find plenty of
statistics that show wealthy people are stingy when it comes to giving
to others. Many books like the rich and the super rich have chronicled
that. So it's not just an opinion of mine that is not based on anything
but my feelings. There's lots of evidence that backs up my assertion.
The question is how strong is your evidence that conservatives are the
most generous people, one survey?

Hawke

So where are your facts and figures? Without any facts your
statements are worth nothing. They are just your personalbeliefs.

Statements like While I didn't post any specific figures I can
find plenty of
statistics that show wealthy people are stingy when it comes to giving
to others.

pretty much say nothing unless you actually post specific figures.

Dan

PS here is a specific figure.

The David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research
(pronounced /ˈkoʊk/ "coke", also referred to as the Koch Institute,
KI, or CCR/KI) is a cancer research center affiliated with the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) located in Cambridge,
Massachusetts, United States. The Institute is one of eight National
Cancer Institute-designated basic research centers in the United
States.[3][4]

The Institute was launched in October 2007 with a $100 million grant
from David H. Koch and will replace the MIT Center for Cancer Research
(CCR) when the 180,000 square feet (17,000 m2) research facility opens
in December 2010.[5][6] The Institute is affiliated with 25 MIT
faculty members in both the Schools of Engineering and Science.[7]

I keep forgetting that I know things that other people don't. In your
case it's clear that you don't know much about the wealthy. If you did
you wouldn't be questioning me. It's common for people to be wrong when
it comes to what they think about the rich and the super rich. But just
as it turns out to be a fact that as a percentage of GDP the U.S. is not
at the top when it comes to foreign aid, the same is true when it comes
to the rich and giving. Most Americans think we are the most generous
nation in the world. We're not. Not per capita.

It's also a well known fact that wealthy people are stingy with their
money except when spending on themselves. If you don't know any stories
about rich people giving nothing to charity while being super rich I'd
be very surprised. You did know about Al Gore's tiny donations to
charity, didn't you? My point is that is normal for the rich. I gave you
the title of a book The Rich and the Super Rich that explains what I am
saying. I didn't just make it up, I never do.

Of course, there are some very generous rich people but they are the
exceptions, and as I said before, giving to a foundation is not charity.
It's a way to maintain wealth and control it without actually giving it
up. It's a tax ploy for the super wealthy. Look into who benefits from a
foundation if you don't believe me. To repeat once again, I've read
about the giving habits of the wealthy. They have a bad reputation for
being tight wads. The poor are far more generous than the rich
relatively speaking. But I've read the books and know the facts. You can
find out just like I did by reading. I'm not going to dig up the
research for you. The rich and the super rich is an old book. Several
more have been written since then and they found the same thing. Rich
people, as a rule are not that generous. One who really is generous, Ted
Turner. He's given billions away. Want some more proof? Try looking up
how much money Donald Trump gives away. And don't forget that for rich
people charitable giving is a tax write off. So don't think giving to
charity instead of giving it up in taxes makes someone generous. It's
just a tax dodge most of the time.

Hawke