Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JB JB is offline

Default Ping Iggy. Advice needed. [Long]

Hi Iggy.
I inherited a year or two ago, a nice Shizuoka ST-N CNC mill. This is a
3-axis machine with a nice large CNC rotary table giving it a 4th axis. It
was given to me by a good friend who couldn't fit it into his workshop. It
has low hours and was only ever used for machining acrylic.

This Japanese machine was originally sourced from and fitted out by a UK
company, Matchmaker, who fitted an unknown control system with arm mounted
CRT and button panel. The only thing we can easily recognise in the bird's
nest that is inside the control cabinet is the 4qty, Westamp PWM servo amp
model no. 30060-3. I take it that this means we have servos rather than
steppers? This makes sense as they (large) motors have 4 brushes. I think
they have 2-wire tachos built in too. I'm not sure what encoders we have yet
as they haven't been stripped out for identification.

The control system is dead. The CRT is dead, and I don't trust the Westamp
boards. However we'd probably keep the big DC PSU, buy 4 new servo drives
and fit a variable freq drive for the spindle.
This brings me to the big question. What controller should we choose? We'd
like to do as you have done, and use EMC2 on a (Linux?) PC, but don't have
any idea of what controller we need for the 'bit in between'.

I'd appreciate your advice on this if can spare a moment.

Many thanks in advance.

JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-09, JB wrote:
Hi Iggy.
I inherited a year or two ago, a nice Shizuoka ST-N CNC mill. This is a
3-axis machine with a nice large CNC rotary table giving it a 4th axis. It
was given to me by a good friend who couldn't fit it into his workshop. It
has low hours and was only ever used for machining acrylic.

Awesome! I am envious.

Kirk has a similar mill

http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/

He is on emc-users mailing list.

This Japanese machine was originally sourced from and fitted out by a UK
company, Matchmaker, who fitted an unknown control system with arm mounted
CRT and button panel. The only thing we can easily recognise in the bird's
nest that is inside the control cabinet is the 4qty, Westamp PWM servo amp
model no. 30060-3. I take it that this means we have servos rather than
steppers? This makes sense as they (large) motors have 4 brushes.

Most likely servos then.

I think
they have 2-wire tachos built in too. I'm not sure what encoders we have yet
as they haven't been stripped out for identification.

The control system is dead. The CRT is dead, and I don't trust the Westamp
boards. However we'd probably keep the big DC PSU, buy 4 new servo drives
and fit a variable freq drive for the spindle.
This brings me to the big question. What controller should we choose? We'd
like to do as you have done, and use EMC2 on a (Linux?) PC, but don't have
any idea of what controller we need for the 'bit in between'.

I'd appreciate your advice on this if can spare a moment.

JB, you are on a good track. You have a great machine with a great 4th
axis.

The control is junk.

You need to subscribe to emc-users mailing list at

Then you need to go slow and identify your hardware (what servos? What
voltage and current?)

Try to find a schematic of the mill, if you can, pre-retrofit. It will
help you identify wires from all opints like limit switches, valves
etc.

What you want is certainly doable, will probably take a while, but can
be done in steps where the result of each step is verified. For
example, you can hook up one servo motor to one servo drive, and
"drive" it by selding a signal from a battery to the niput of the
servo drive.

Try to identify your servos first.

You may reuse things from the old control, such as relays, power
supply, and possibly even servo drives.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JB JB is offline

On 2011-03-09, JB wrote:
Hi Iggy.
[...]

Many thanks for the fast response and pointers. I'll join the mailing list.
I'm already on CNCZone. There is a good section on EMC there too.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/emc_li...chine_control/
I'll get the servos off later this week and check them out.
Cheers,
JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-09, JB wrote:
Hi Iggy.
[...]

Do not pull them unless you need to (I did not need to pull mine).

Do the servos have a data plate?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-09, JB wrote:
Hi Iggy.
I inherited a year or two ago, a nice Shizuoka ST-N CNC mill. This is a
3-axis machine with a nice large CNC rotary table giving it a 4th axis.
It
was given to me by a good friend who couldn't fit it into his workshop.
It
has low hours and was only ever used for machining acrylic.

Awesome! I am envious.

You turd!!! I looked and looked for one of these fine machines. Never
found a good one nearby and ended up buying an Excello. Do you have
the tool changer with it?

You're right one target with EMC for this machine. Almost the exact
same job Iggy just finished.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-09, JB wrote:
Hi Iggy.
I inherited a year or two ago, a nice Shizuoka ST-N CNC mill. This is a
3-axis machine with a nice large CNC rotary table giving it a 4th axis.
It
was given to me by a good friend who couldn't fit it into his workshop.
It
has low hours and was only ever used for machining acrylic.

Awesome! I am envious.

You turd!!! I looked and looked for one of these fine machines. Never
found a good one nearby and ended up buying an Excello. Do you have
the tool changer with it?

You're right one target with EMC for this machine. Almost the exact
same job Iggy just finished.

Karl, doesn't that Schizuoka have a tool changer too?

If so, I *hate* JB!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-09, JB wrote:
Hi Iggy.
I inherited a year or two ago, a nice Shizuoka ST-N CNC mill. This is
3-axis machine with a nice large CNC rotary table giving it a 4th
axis.
It
was given to me by a good friend who couldn't fit it into his
workshop.
It
has low hours and was only ever used for machining acrylic.

Awesome! I am envious.

You turd!!! I looked and looked for one of these fine machines. Never
found a good one nearby and ended up buying an Excello. Do you have
the tool changer with it?

You're right one target with EMC for this machine. Almost the exact
same job Iggy just finished.

Karl, doesn't that Schizuoka have a tool changer too?

If so, I *hate* JB!

No it doesn't have a toolchanger! You can relax guys. We did also have to
hire a big truck with a crane to collect it. It's a bit of a monster but I
think it will be invaluable. I'm in the process of building another trike.
This one for my wife. A BMW K100 bike mated to (probably) a BMW E36 back
axle. I have done a few and i've often cursed te lack of a CNC machine.
Milling **** out by hand and doing all of the inevitable 'fettling' is a
time consuming job. Much better to squirt the design over a DXf (I hope!).
You may want to hate me again when i tell you about the machines we run at
work.
http://www.amada.com/site/default.as...emlk3610nt.htm
and
http://www.amada.co.jp/english/produ...nt_series.html
Plus a few of these:
http://www.salvagnini.com/salvagnini.php?s=291&new=1
and even some (8!) of these:
http://www.vossloh-schwabe.com/image...200801_eng.pdf
At work we really _do_ sheet metal.
I'll keep you posted as to progress on the mill.
Cheers.
JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-09, JB wrote:
Hi Iggy.
[...]

You will love this Schizuoka, it is the real thing. EMC will make it
really shine. This is like my Bridgeport on steroids.

I only hate people for what they have at home, not at work.

You may want to hate me again when i tell you about the machines we run at
work.
http://www.amada.com/site/default.as...emlk3610nt.htm
and
http://www.amada.co.jp/english/produ...nt_series.html
Plus a few of these:
http://www.salvagnini.com/salvagnini.php?s=291&new=1
and even some (8!) of these:
http://www.vossloh-schwabe.com/image...200801_eng.pdf
At work we really _do_ sheet metal.
I'll keep you posted as to progress on the mill.
Cheers.
JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Awesome! I am envious.

You turd!!! I looked and looked for one of these fine machines. Never
found a good one nearby and ended up buying an Excello. Do you have
the tool changer with it?

You're right one target with EMC for this machine. Almost the exact
same job Iggy just finished.

Karl, doesn't that Schizuoka have a tool changer too?

If so, I *hate* JB!

No it doesn't have a toolchanger! You can relax guys. We did also have to
hire a big truck with a crane to collect it. It's a bit of a monster but I
think it will be invaluable. I'm in the process of building another trike.

Well, I guess I only half *hate* you then. You're stuck with just
about the most rigid knee mill ever made.

I really enjoyed reading about Iggy's daily progress. If you got the
time, keep us posted regularly. Beats the heck out of political crap.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
Awesome! I am envious.

You turd!!! I looked and looked for one of these fine machines. Never
found a good one nearby and ended up buying an Excello. Do you have
the tool changer with it?

You're right one target with EMC for this machine. Almost the exact
same job Iggy just finished.

Karl, doesn't that Schizuoka have a tool changer too?

If so, I *hate* JB!

No it doesn't have a toolchanger! You can relax guys. We did also have to
hire a big truck with a crane to collect it. It's a bit of a monster but I
think it will be invaluable. I'm in the process of building another trike.

Well, I guess I only half *hate* you then. You're stuck with just
about the most rigid knee mill ever made.

I really enjoyed reading about Iggy's daily progress. If you got the
time, keep us posted regularly. Beats the heck out of political crap.

Thanks. JB, and post pictures too, and take videos. It is really fun
stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

By the way, I looked at pictures of Shizuoka ST-N mills, they are
great, but in fact very comparable to my Bridgeport. Mine supposedly
weighs even more, 5,500 lbs.

This obviously would not be a great way to compare wives, though

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Ive just recently downloaded the emc software and planning to eventually use
on a lathe, ( tsugami type super preciision chucker )

--good possibility I will end up using geck amps to drive some motors that
i've had kicking around here for some time now...I need to double check if
they geckos can handle it--they are glentek @ 7 amps appx IIRC w/2500 count
encoders....

Looking to keep the hardware as simple as possible and it appears that if I
go this route then everything can be run off of the existing parallell port.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Then why exactly do you need gecko drives?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:fv6dnbSxMY9foOXQnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

( brush DC, there is a tach on these that will most likely not be needed and
there is an encoder like I say its probly 2500 per rev )

I'll try and reload the ubunto disc soon but IIRC its the basic NIST is all
I really need here this will be a gang tool setup.

( "soon" to me sometimes takes a year or so just so you are aware )

Or it might be in just a few minutes...

Once, I was rear ended--I took a pretty good hit...seems like yesterday but
that actually happened more like 15 years ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Seems all Gecko drives accept is stepper input, which is the basic output
from EMC....however, Gecko also has drives which will drive a brush dc
servo.

Allows you to also toss the existing drives by eliminating the need for
additional DA converters or motion cards.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus27783" wrote in message
news On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Actually EMC natively supports servo motors and analog amplifiers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT
wrote:

"Ignoramus27783" wrote in message
news On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT
wrote:

"Ignoramus27783" wrote in
message
On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend
[...]

Cant find that at the moment then I guess..

lemme go downstairs get some numbers then

BRB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

With these sorts of projects, you need to be dogged, overcome
obstacles, and dig deeply when you have problems.

The latest 10.04 disk with EMC is a great system and works very well.

EMC supports DC servo drives natively, with or without tachometers.

You need to take a good inventory of what you have. I would also
suggest to keep notes, in a spreadsheet or just a notebook.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message

Servos?

Yes

Then why exactly do you need gecko drives?

Seems all Gecko drives accept is stepper input, which is the basic
output
from EMC....however, Gecko also has drives which will drive a brush dc
servo.

Allows you to also toss the existing drives by eliminating the need for
additional DA converters or motion cards.

Actually EMC natively supports servo motors and analog amplifiers.

Cant find that at the moment then I guess..

lemme go downstairs get some numbers then

BRB

Motors :

Glentek GM 4040 motors brush dc with 7v/1000 tach and 2500 pulse encoder

I also have some fanuc motors size H002 with encoder but no tach

------
So far as amplifiers that I have on hand :

AMC 30A20

Glentek 4568

Servo Dynamics 1525

Fanuc A20B6045

All of these REALLY like to have a tach feedback but as far as I can tell
the the only one that ABSOLUTELY NEEDS it is the fanuc.

--

All of these like to have analog +/-10

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:fv6dnbSxMY9foOXQnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Ignoramus27783" wrote in message
news On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT
wrote:

"Ignoramus27783" wrote in
message
On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Curious then why did you feel it necessary to buy the PICO interface ?

You need to take a good inventory of what you have. I would also
suggest to keep notes, in a spreadsheet or just a notebook.

I keep quite a few of my notes here on usenet...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Motors :

Glentek GM 4040 motors brush dc with 7v/1000 tach and 2500 pulse encoder

I also have some fanuc motors size H002 with encoder but no tach

------
So far as amplifiers that I have on hand :

AMC 30A20

Glentek 4568

Servo Dynamics 1525

Fanuc A20B6045

All of these REALLY like to have a tach feedback but as far as I can tell
the the only one that ABSOLUTELY NEEDS it is the fanuc.

Those glentech motors and AMC amps were made for each other. Work very
well with EMC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message

Servos?

Yes

Then why exactly do you need gecko drives?

Seems all Gecko drives accept is stepper input, which is the basic
output
from EMC....however, Gecko also has drives which will drive a brush dc
servo.

Allows you to also toss the existing drives by eliminating the need for
additional DA converters or motion cards.

Actually EMC natively supports servo motors and analog amplifiers.

Cant find that at the moment then I guess..

lemme go downstairs get some numbers then

BRB

Motors :

Glentek GM 4040 motors brush dc with 7v/1000 tach and 2500 pulse encoder

What s the voltage, amp, and RPM rating of those?

I also have some fanuc motors size H002 with encoder but no tach

------
So far as amplifiers that I have on hand :

AMC 30A20

Glentek 4568

Servo Dynamics 1525

Fanuc A20B6045

All of these REALLY like to have a tach feedback but as far as I can tell
the the only one that ABSOLUTELY NEEDS it is the fanuc.

I would find out motor characteristics, and then I would look for a
drive that matches those to some extent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus27783" wrote in message
The latest 10.04 disk with EMC is a great system and works very well.

EMC supports DC servo drives natively, with or without tachometers.

Curious then why did you feel it necessary to buy the PICO interface ?

Pico interface is what sits between the PC's parallel port and servo
drives.

You need to take a good inventory of what you have. I would also
suggest to keep notes, in a spreadsheet or just a notebook.

I keep quite a few of my notes here on usenet...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Motors :

Glentek GM 4040 motors brush dc with 7v/1000 tach and 2500 pulse encoder

I also have some fanuc motors size H002 with encoder but no tach

------
So far as amplifiers that I have on hand :

AMC 30A20

Glentek 4568

Servo Dynamics 1525

Fanuc A20B6045

All of these REALLY like to have a tach feedback but as far as I can tell
the the only one that ABSOLUTELY NEEDS it is the fanuc.

Those glentech motors and AMC amps were made for each other. Work very
well with EMC.

Well I guess then what I need is to figure how to source +/- 10 vdc for 2
axes through the parallel port and still have enough pins left over for the
encoders and some limits.

Yes, the AMC like to see a tach, and I can certainly give it to them if I
use those glenteks...

I just burned the .ISO image yesterday and looked into it only breifly at
this point_ think it was some example pages is all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

torque 500 in oz

cur A 9.1

res .8 ohm

ind 5.6 MH

BEMF 41 v/1000 rpm

max rpm 2400

I also have some fanuc motors size H002 with encoder but no tach

------
So far as amplifiers that I have on hand :

AMC 30A20

Glentek 4568

Servo Dynamics 1525

Fanuc A20B6045

All of these REALLY like to have a tach feedback but as far as I can tell
the the only one that ABSOLUTELY NEEDS it is the fanuc.

I would find out motor characteristics, and then I would look for a
drive that matches those to some extent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus27783" wrote in message
The latest 10.04 disk with EMC is a great system and works very well.

EMC supports DC servo drives natively, with or without tachometers.

Curious then why did you feel it necessary to buy the PICO interface ?

Pico interface is what sits between the PC's parallel port and servo
drives.

I understand that..

Pretty sure it's not needed for a simple 2axis gang tool lathe with
threading--as long as you using steppers or a gecko the parallel port has
enough pins as is.

Needless to say, I absolutely require closed loop position feedback....so if
the encoder is is being interpreted by linux, instead of by the gecko then
there goes all of your pinouts ....

--

You need to take a good inventory of what you have. I would also
suggest to keep notes, in a spreadsheet or just a notebook.

I keep quite a few of my notes here on usenet...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

AMC drives work just fine without a tachometer.

I just burned the .ISO image yesterday and looked into it only breifly at
this point_ think it was some example pages is all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Great motor, very close to servo motors on my Bridgeport (3.4 N-m =
2.5 ft-lbs, same as yours).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus27783" wrote in message
The latest 10.04 disk with EMC is a great system and works very well.

EMC supports DC servo drives natively, with or without tachometers.

Curious then why did you feel it necessary to buy the PICO interface ?

Pico interface is what sits between the PC's parallel port and servo
drives.

I understand that..

Pretty sure it's not needed for a simple 2axis gang tool lathe with
threading--as long as you using steppers or a gecko the parallel port has
enough pins as is.

no idea

Needless to say, I absolutely require closed loop position feedback....so if
the encoder is is being interpreted by linux, instead of by the gecko then
there goes all of your pinouts ....

This is what is closed loop, EMC closes the loop and gets encoder
signal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

It would be a very dangerous way to compare any wife! I'm not going to risk
it that's for sure!

JB

Ping: Iggy Gunner Asch[_5_] Metalworking 2 December 4th 09 07:15 AM
Ping: Iggy Jon Danniken Metalworking 11 May 12th 08 06:01 PM
Ping Robatoy - Finishing advice needed... Swingman Woodworking 33 April 24th 08 03:32 AM
Ping Iggy... Todd Rich Metalworking 10 December 26th 07 04:52 PM
Ping - Iggy.. Todd Rich Metalworking 11 October 31st 07 12:14 PM