Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Robatoy - Finishing advice needed...

Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem all
that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga
cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 4:14*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem all
that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga
cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

Well, I think that might be too much green. Oobatuba is notoriously
green, see this sample:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/oobaTuba.jpg

Maybe something a little lighter, like Trumpetswan... or claretnet?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 4:32*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 19, 4:14*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem all
that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga
cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

*Well, I think that might be too much green. Oobatuba is notoriously
green, see this sample:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/oobaTuba.jpg

*Maybe something a little lighter, like Trumpetswan... or claretnet?

I think I may have hit a low note.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem
all that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga
cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

What, or who, is that on the back porch?

I think the bubinga might not be the right wood, think you could find
enough brazillian rosewood? That'd look mighty nice

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

What, or who, is that on the back porch?

That's my anti-kickback armor, for when I put extra pawls on my TS.

I think the bubinga might not be the right wood, think you could find
enough brazillian rosewood? That'd look mighty nice

Good idea ... and maybe trim it with some ebony, or this:

http://www.rockler.com/Bubinga/

Might not have enough paint though ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem
all that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga
cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

What, or who, is that on the back porch?

I think the bubinga might not be the right wood, think you could find
enough brazillian rosewood? That'd look mighty nice

Especially since Oobatuba is a resort town in eastern Brazil...

a font of little known and mostly useless factoids,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

What, or who, is that on the back porch?

That's my anti-kickback armor, for when I put extra pawls on my TS.

I think the bubinga might not be the right wood, think you could find
enough brazillian rosewood? That'd look mighty nice

Good idea ... and maybe trim it with some ebony, or this:

http://www.rockler.com/Bubinga/

Oooh Yeah, that'd do it. Wow $60 / BF

Might not have enough paint though ...

I hear you can get it in 5 gallon pails, a couple of those oughta do it.

/You know we are gonna fry for comments like this associated with those
pieces of wood, right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message
m...
Mark & Juanita wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem
all that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga
cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

What, or who, is that on the back porch?

I think the bubinga might not be the right wood, think you could find
enough brazillian rosewood? That'd look mighty nice

Especially since Oobatuba is a resort town in eastern Brazil...

a font of little known and mostly useless factoids,
jo4hn

You can see a photo of ooba tuba granite here
http://bistro613.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote in
m:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't
seem all that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn
curly bubinga cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with
Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

What, or who, is that on the back porch?

I think the bubinga might not be the right wood, think you could
find
enough brazillian rosewood? That'd look mighty nice

Especially since Oobatuba is a resort town in eastern Brazil...

a font of little known and mostly useless factoids,
jo4hn

Having a little problem with my factoids too. Perhaps a little Prep H on
your font may help your factoids become more productive and a 'My Space
page' may make them better known.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Mark & Juanita" wrote
Swingman wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

What, or who, is that on the back porch?

That's the same girl whose reflection we saw in Cheney's sunglasses.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:14:35 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem all
that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga
cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

I think your timing is excellent! There is a move afoot in my
neighborhood by a small group of homeowners wishing to revise the
covenants and further restrict what people like me can have on their
property. Since I've lived here for twenty years, have never noticed
any problems, and am opposed to this current group of "self
proclaimed, dictatorial regulators", I'm going to print this, take it
to the next HOA board meeting and say. "this is what I intend, so
what's wrong with it"?

Thanks,

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote:

I think your timing is excellent! There is a move afoot in my
neighborhood by a small group of homeowners wishing to revise the
covenants and further restrict what people like me can have on their
property. Since I've lived here for twenty years, have never
noticed
any problems, and am opposed to this current group of "self
proclaimed, dictatorial regulators", I'm going to print this, take
it
to the next HOA board meeting and say. "this is what I intend, so
what's wrong with it"?

Typical HOA Board AKA: Condo Nazis.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

Well damn! It appears to be wheelchair accessible. Know where I can get one?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:14:35 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem
all that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga
cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg

Whatcha think, eh?

I think your timing is excellent! There is a move afoot in my
neighborhood by a small group of homeowners wishing to revise the
covenants and further restrict what people like me can have on their
property. Since I've lived here for twenty years, have never noticed
any problems, and am opposed to this current group of "self
proclaimed, dictatorial regulators", I'm going to print this, take it
to the next HOA board meeting and say. "this is what I intend, so
what's wrong with it"?

Condolences. From what I've seen around here, in the neighborhoods
controlled by HOA nazis (oops, boards), it appears to have a bunch of
retired old folks with nothing better to do than wait for someone to park
on the street and make a phone call to complain, or to walk around the day
after trash day reporting who forgot to take in their trash cans. In some
cases, they even peer over backyard fences and phone in violations
of "unapproved" plants and trees that don't even reach the height of said
fence. The word "busybodies" never applied to anyone as well as these
people.

Nope, I don't live in such a neighborhood, but have a number of friends
and acquaintances who do. Strangest rule thus far is this parking
(legally) on the street thing. If someone parks on the curb (not illegal
nor marked in any way) to drop off something to a homeowner in this
neighborhood, the homeowner can be fined for violating the covenants that
prohibit parking on the street without having first obtained a party
permit.

No thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
of "unapproved" plants and trees that don't even reach the height of said
fence. The word "busybodies" never applied to anyone as well as these
people.

Along the same lines and for some time, many "visually appealing
neighbourhood control boards" in Ontario have been prohibiting clotheslines
because of how they stand out. These clothes lines prohibitions have now
been officially deemed illegal by the Ontario provincial government with the
reasoning that clothes dryers use approximately 6% of the province's
electricity. I'm guessing a number of "neighbourhood improvement busybodies"
are currently having fits of anxiety.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:54:36 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
of "unapproved" plants and trees that don't even reach the height of said
fence. The word "busybodies" never applied to anyone as well as these
people.

Along the same lines and for some time, many "visually appealing
neighbourhood control boards" in Ontario have been prohibiting clotheslines
because of how they stand out. These clothes lines prohibitions have now
been officially deemed illegal by the Ontario provincial government with the
reasoning that clothes dryers use approximately 6% of the province's
electricity. I'm guessing a number of "neighbourhood improvement busybodies"
are currently having fits of anxiety.

Funny, I was thinking about that the other day. No restrictions here
about that yet, but then no one has a one, and I'm sure the first one
that is put up would bring out the HOA board in force.

I remember how good those fresh sheets used to smell after drying in
the breeze and sun at my Grandmothers home. We may all go back to
that eventually.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Funny, I was thinking about that the other day. No restrictions here
about that yet, but then no one has a one, and I'm sure the first one
that is put up would bring out the HOA board in force.

Here in CT, we had several towns that had oficially outlawed
clotheslines. After a recent news story, most have either repealed the
law, or stated they wouldn't enforce it and started the process to repeal.

I remember how good those fresh sheets used to smell after drying in
the breeze and sun at my Grandmothers home. We may all go back to
that eventually.

I already did. I put a new outdoor line up about a month ago. We've
had a 30' indoor line in the basement for 12 years, as we have lots of
clothes that can't go in the electric dryer.

After the news article, I realized how silly it's been to use a dryer on
a beautiful day, and remembered the smell Frank mentioned!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I remember how good those fresh sheets used to smell after drying in
the breeze and sun at my Grandmothers home. We may all go back to
that eventually.

You mentioning that makes me remember the smell of the clothes my mom would
hang in the back yard. Haven't thought of that in years.

I live in an apartment and my balcony experiences too much floating dirt
from traffic going by, so I got in the habit of drying clothes on the
parallel bars I use for walking exercises. And, it saved me quite a bit of
dryer money. It was ok until I got a cat and realized she liked dragging her
upright tail underneath the hanging clothes. I got so aggravated having to
spend money on lint rollers and the time needed to remove the cat hair, that
I gave up in frustration and went back to the dryers. You can't win for
trying.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote

Frank Boettcher wrote:

[...]

My grandfather welded up a giant, circular clothesline. It had several
layers of rope to hang the clothes from. It did not dryquite as fast as a
single line, but you could hang a lot of clothes on them.

The ultimate offense, for those condo nazis, is that it was constructed from
a recycled truck axel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

I live in an apartment and my balcony experiences too much floating dirt
from traffic going by, so I got in the habit of drying clothes on the
parallel bars I use for walking exercises. And, it saved me quite a bit of
dryer money. It was ok until I got a cat and realized she liked dragging
her
upright tail underneath the hanging clothes. I got so aggravated having to
spend money on lint rollers and the time needed to remove the cat hair,
that
I gave up in frustration and went back to the dryers. You can't win for
trying.

Sounds just like a cat!

Toss her in the dryer for a couple of minutes. I bet that will cure her
tail dragging behavior on your freshly laundered clothes!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote

After the news article, I realized how silly it's been to use a dryer on
a beautiful day, and remembered the smell Frank mentioned!

Clothes lines and TV antenna's ... ubiquitous accoutrements to life in the
50's.

I remember helping my maternal grandmother hang clothes.

My grandfather, a practical man who was a apparently true
conservationist/greenie, although we didn't know to call it that at the
time, kept goats to both mow, and fertilize, the lawns around his farm
house.

It was my job to keep the goats from butting my grandmother during this all
important task.

If I wasn't there, she took a broom with her, along with the clothes basket,
and lord help any goat with butting in mind as she could sidestep and swing
that broom at a charging goat's head like Babe Ruth could swing a baseball
bat!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

My grandfather, a practical man who was a apparently true
conservationist/greenie, although we didn't know to call it that at the
time, kept goats to both mow, and fertilize, the lawns around his farm
house.

It was my job to keep the goats from butting my grandmother during this
all
important task.

I see your farmboy goat story and raise you one of my own childhood goat
stories. (I know, I told this story before, but it is a good one.)

My sister was allergic to cow's milk. So we bought some goats and raised
them. And with goats, you get the young ones who like to chew, climb and
butt any thing that moves. I was in second grade and went to school within
walking distance. We were probably the last working farm at the edge of
town.

One thing that all young goats like to do is to chew on hair. Since I
played with the goats each night, I soon had chunks of my hair missing. To
the nosy, gossipy teachers at school, this was obvious signs of child abuse.
I tried to explain to them that this was normal goat behavior. But they all
would have a brain fart everytime I used the word, goat.

So they dispatched a teacher one day to walk with me to my house and check
up on this ridiculous story about billy goats. I helped her over the fence
and the young goats came running over to me. I was their friend and
playmate. We were immediately involved in playing and wrestling.

The teacher became alarmed and feared some kind of wild animal attack and
tried to intervene. This was perceived by a number of young goats as an
invitation to play. She got butted by at least three goats. This woman had
no idea how to deal with this kind of behavior. She tried to hit them and
they kept butting her. Then, stupidly, she tried to run away. This is
exactly what goats like. They would run her down and butt her to the ground.
She must of got butted 20 times or so. And to top it off, she got tangled up
in the electric fence.

The next day at school the word was that I was not abused. Crazy as a loon,
but not abused. Those city slicker never did understand us farmboys.

Lee

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

[...]

Please tell me it was turned on.

The next day at school the word was that I was not abused. Crazy as
a loon, but not abused. Those city slicker never did understand us
farmboys.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Sounds just like a cat!
Toss her in the dryer for a couple of minutes. I bet that will cure her
tail dragging behavior on your freshly laundered clothes!

Yeah, but from experience I know I'd end up paying big-time in the long run.
She owns me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

Toss her in the dryer for a couple of minutes. I bet that will cure her
tail dragging behavior on your freshly laundered clothes!

Last summer, we had a 4 month old kitten spend about a minute in a
running dryer! G

The cat seems to have had no ill effects, but it took my wife days to
get over it. All I heard for those days was "I almost killed Ike!"

After loading the dryer and ascending the basement stairs, she heard a
thumping in the machine. For a moment, she thought there was a sneaker
in the dryer. When she remembered the kitten was walking around while
she loaded the clothes, she almost fell down the stairs as she ran back
down to the dryer.

I have noticed that Ike now steers clear of the open dryer door. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Goats Old: (Ping Robatoy - Finishing advice needed...)

"Swingman" wrote:

My grandfather, a practical man who was a apparently true
conservationist/greenie, although we didn't know to call it that at
the
time, kept goats to both mow, and fertilize, the lawns around his
farm
house.

You'll be happy to know that here in SoCal, goats are alive and well.

Since goats will eat almost anything, and can navigate steep hillsides
with ease, they are a natural to clear brush from the hillsides,
especially the inaccessible ones.

Good old Yankee ingenuity prevails.

Goats are now rented to clear the brush from the hillsides

Quiet, effective, and a whole lot cheaper than having to use
firefighters when
the brush catches fire, if it hasn't been cleared.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

Toss her in the dryer for a couple of minutes. I bet that will
cure
her tail dragging behavior on your freshly laundered clothes!

Last summer, we had a 4 month old kitten spend about a minute in a
running dryer! G

The cat seems to have had no ill effects, but it took my wife days
get over it. All I heard for those days was "I almost killed Ike!"

After loading the dryer and ascending the basement stairs, she heard
thumping in the machine. For a moment, she thought there was a
sneaker in the dryer. When she remembered the kitten was walking
around while she loaded the clothes, she almost fell down the stairs
as she ran back down to the dryer.

I have noticed that Ike now steers clear of the open dryer door. G

Kittens are remarkably resilient. Carrying a 27 inch TV down stairs,
halfway down I felt something soft underfoot and heard a "ROWR"--came
down on the little guy with all my weight plus the TV. Wasn't
anything I could do except keep going--I figured that once I got to
the bottom and set down the TV I'd find a dead kitten. But there he
was bouncing around like he didn't have a care in the world. I took
him to the vet and told him what happened, the vet poked and prodded
for a bit and decided that there was no harm done.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

One of my favorite "Over the Hedge" strips had a neighborhood denizen spy
something shining in the sun over her back fence. Upon investigation, she
saw that it was a swingset in one of the neighbor's yards. Punchline (with
by-line "suburban she-witch in full battle mode") was "Not in YOUR
backyard!" Kind of sums up the HOA mentality succinctly.

I remember how good those fresh sheets used to smell after drying in
the breeze and sun at my Grandmothers home. We may all go back to
that eventually.

Yeah, I remember that too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

.... snip

After the news article, I realized how silly it's been to use a dryer on
a beautiful day, and remembered the smell Frank mentioned!

On a nice day, yeah. Until the birds fly over and make you have to
re-wash the load. Or until a big dust-devil spies your clotheline and
dumps a yard of sand and grit in said sheets.

There is a reason folks went to dryers. I still like the smell of
line-dried bedsheets and clothes, but recognize that there are some
downsides as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
The cat seems to have had no ill effects, but it took my wife days to
get over it. All I heard for those days was "I almost killed Ike!"

The first year or so with my cat, I experienced that horrible feeling every
one or two months. She liked to walk up and sit behind my wheelchair and of
course, I'd roll backwards and catch a tail or a paw under one of my wheels.
And naturally, she'd shriek in pain, I'd stop dead while jumping two feet in
the air. Lucky for her I've got a manual wheelchair and not an electric one.

She's three years old now and occasionally still lays about halfway under
the wheelchair, but I've been sufficiently trained. It's a guarantee that
she's somewhere near me whatever room I'm in so every rolling action by me
is preceded with a growl to move, accompanied with a visual confirmation of
her whereabouts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

On a nice day, yeah. Until the birds fly over and make you have to
re-wash the load.

Yup!

Or until a big dust-devil spies your clotheline and
dumps a yard of sand and grit in said sheets.

Not where I live, but I would imagine that could be annoying.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:U35Pj.4244$Ux4.393
@trnddc07:

"Swingman" wrote:

My grandfather, a practical man who was a apparently true
conservationist/greenie, although we didn't know to call it that at
the
time, kept goats to both mow, and fertilize, the lawns around his
farm
house.

You'll be happy to know that here in SoCal, goats are alive and well.

Since goats will eat almost anything, and can navigate steep hillsides
with ease, they are a natural to clear brush from the hillsides,
especially the inaccessible ones.

Good old Yankee ingenuity prevails.

Goats are now rented to clear the brush from the hillsides

Quiet, effective, and a whole lot cheaper than having to use
firefighters when
the brush catches fire, if it hasn't been cleared.

Lew

They are also tasty little critters. Hmmm a little cabritto would hit the
spot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hank" wrote

They are also tasty little critters. Hmmm a little cabritto would hit the
spot.

You're right ... haven't had any since I lived in the Heights in Houston (8'
above sea level, instead of 6') back in the 80's, a hot bed of cabrito
sources.

IIRC, the "season" is fast approaching.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Ping Robatoy Leon Woodworking 3 January 23rd 08 03:58 AM
Ping Robatoy PDQ Woodworking 10 January 6th 08 07:24 PM
PING Robatoy J T Woodworking 3 December 20th 07 07:23 PM
Ping Robatoy Frank Boettcher Woodworking 3 October 20th 07 09:47 PM
Ping Robatoy JGS Woodworking 8 November 7th 06 01:07 PM