Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Robatoy

Robatoy I know you have one or more Rotex sanders and I am very seriously
looking into buying a 125.
Do you use any of the other Festool sanders such as the finish sander?
I am very much interested in eliminating a majority of the saw dust that the
present sanders kick up and was wondering if the Festool finish sanders also
hook up to the vacuum cleaner and do as good of a job on dust control as the
Rotex.

Do you use the Festool sand paper?

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 12:14*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Robatoy I know you have one or more Rotex sanders and I am very seriously
looking into buying a 125.
Do you use any of the other Festool sanders such as the finish sander?

The last one, is my 4th. One of them was a linear-type sander Duplex
130. I wouldn't buy that again. I'm sure it is fine for some limited
applications, but not for me. The others were Rotex 150 (6") and the
last was a new Rotex 150 FEQ.

I am very much interested in eliminating a majority of the saw dust that the
present sanders kick up and was wondering if the Festool finish sanders also
hook up to the vacuum cleaner and do as good of a job on dust control as the
Rotex.

Yes, they all take the hose from the CT 22 and such. The non-static
aspect is nice this time of year for me.
I have mine running on Fein Turbos, except the one on the truck, which
is a CT22 (with a Fein sander...go figgur)

The last addition was the 150FEQ, as I mentioned, and it makes me
smile. I love that thing.
BTW, there is no real advantage to the 125. Draw a couple of circles
5" and 6" at the inside of a corner. You'll find the 5" doesn't really
get that much closer that the 6"....... to speak of. The 6" evens out
ripples better.

Do you use the Festool sand paper?

No. (Although I use Klingspor on my Quad sander)
Therein lies the crux of the matter.
Ultimately it is all about the sanding medium and how it behaves on
certain materials.
I don't use paper. I use Abranet from Mirka. (My spellchecker just
went: "WTF??")
It costs a bit more, lasts longer to the point that it is actually
cheaper to use and simply does a great job. It is a screen and
therefore it doesn't clog and no need to line up holes or any of that
nonsense. The hook 'n loop is as sticky as dog snot to a screen door.
People have complained about the cost, and it illustrates that they
just don't get it. What is 5 dollars more in 'paper' on a $ 1000.00
project? It makes for a more predictable and faster job...and dust
control is second to none.

$ 400 for a sander? Yup, and gladly spent. (It's not as if it's $ 4K,
FFS)

hth

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Leon,
I own the Rotex 150 (older model) and a DTS 400 and both of them yield
very little dust as used with the CT22. On occasion when I am sanding
with just partial coverage of the paper some dust escapes but I also
use a downdraft table when I am forced to sand in the basement.
So far I have only used Festool paper and I have seen great results.
With some oak projects a 240 sanding looks like glass. I have been
thinking of getting their linear sander but that's almost not
necessary with the finish that the Rotex gives me.

Marc (hope you don't mind me buttin' in)

On Jan 22, 12:14*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Robatoy I know you have one or more Rotex sanders and I am very seriously
looking into buying a 125.
Do you use any of the other Festool sanders such as the finish sander?
I am very much interested in eliminating a majority of the saw dust that the
present sanders kick up and was wondering if the Festool finish sanders also
hook up to the vacuum cleaner and do as good of a job on dust control as the
Rotex.

Do you use the Festool sand paper?

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 10:17*pm, marc rosen wrote:
Hello Leon,
I own the Rotex 150 (older model) and a DTS 400 and both of them yield
very little dust as used with the CT22. *On occasion when I am sanding
with just partial coverage of the paper some dust escapes but I also
use a downdraft table when I am forced to sand in the basement.
So far I have only used Festool paper and I have seen great results.
With some oak projects a 240 sanding looks like glass. *I have been
thinking of getting their linear sander but that's almost not
necessary with the finish that the Rotex gives me.

Marc (hope you don't mind me buttin' in)

I found that linear sanders in general are a bit of a disappointment.
To be fair, I have tried a few over the years and I think the problem
is inherit to the job it is trying to do. Not a design fault of
Festool or the air-driven linears I have tried.
The motion simply doesn't allow the dust to clear the sanding surface
unles you really move the sander along.
There isn't always room to do that.

BTW, Festool paper works great. They gave me some with my last sander.
Abranet works better in my application. (Solid surface)

Ping Robatoy PDQ Woodworking 10 January 6th 08 07:24 PM
PING Robatoy J T Woodworking 3 December 20th 07 07:23 PM
Ping Robatoy Frank Boettcher Woodworking 3 October 20th 07 09:47 PM
PING - Robatoy J T Woodworking 4 April 25th 07 07:12 PM
Ping Robatoy JGS Woodworking 8 November 7th 06 01:07 PM