Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It is still winter for many of us, what are you reading?

Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book "Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I can't find any
more space to store books.

Wes

--

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book "Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I can't find any
more space to store books.

I've read the first five books in the Perry Rhodan series this month,
even though it's in the upper 80s here.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:29:32 -0500, Wes
wrote:

Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I've almost quit on books. Just read my 'puter.

But, I've got two shops. The basment one is nice and warm. I covered
the entire floor with blue chips today. Crunchy to walk on. About 4
hours run on the 10EE and an hour on the drill press.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is
spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book
"Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the
digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I
can't find any
more space to store books.

Wes

Maybe you could put some in those spaces in your shop ......................

just kiddin'

Waiting here and posturing for spring. Lots of lists. This reading and
book writing isn't as easy as I once thought.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

"Wes" wrote:

Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is
spent in the house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book
"Decision Points", and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle.
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the
digital world recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books
and periodicals I can't find any more space to store books.

Maybe you could put some in those spaces in your shop ......................

just kiddin'

If he did that he would be reading in his shop, not working with
metal.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a on it, because it's Teflon
coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I've almost quit on books. Just read my 'puter.

But, I've got two shops. The basment one is nice and warm. I covered
the entire floor with blue chips today. Crunchy to walk on. About 4
hours run on the 10EE and an hour on the drill press.

I am also not reading nearly as much as I did, and I did not like the
Kindle, personally, because it did not have the titles that I wanted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more
time is spent in the house reading a book rather than out in your
shop machining.

Currently about 2/3 thru Chronicles of Amber , but only in the recliner
just before bedtime .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book "Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I can't find any
more space to store books.

Wes

Just finished Myth & Geology and while waiting for The Celtic Gods I'm
reading The Comets of God.

Yesterday I took the head and 6 foot platen off the horizontal mill,
next is the knee. Still can't decide on which kind of green to paint
it. Found the problem with the power drive, the worm part of the drive
is toast. Not sure how to get it off yet, the key way doesn't continue
to the end.

Could only do that for the weekend so now it's back to the house.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in
the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book "Decision
Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I can't
find any
more space to store books.

Wes

--

4 Cussler titles from Costco for $3 each.

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/28/2011 5:29 PM, Wes wrote:
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book "Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I can't find any
more space to store books.

Wes

"The Confusion" by Neal Stephenson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:37:09 -0500, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in
the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book "Decision
Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I can't
find any
more space to store books.

Wes

4 Cussler titles from Costco for $3 each.

_Brave New War_ awaits me on my nightstand. I'm finishing up
2 Lee Child titles from the library while I await 3 more W.E.B.
Griffin titles from the library and _The Intuition Experiment_ from an
Amazon vendor. _Eat Fat, Lose Fat_ and _The 4 Hour Workweek_ are open
or tabbed in the smelly library. _Google SketchUp Missing Manual_ is
on my computer desk, crying for more time.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

_Brave New War_ awaits me on my nightstand. I'm finishing up
2 Lee Child titles from the library while I await 3 more W.E.B.
Griffin titles from the library and _The Intuition Experiment_ from an
Amazon vendor. _Eat Fat, Lose Fat_ and _The 4 Hour Workweek_ are open
or tabbed in the smelly library. _Google SketchUp Missing Manual_ is
on my computer desk, crying for more time.

LOVE Lee Child! Hate to admit but like Nora Roberts, I just skip over the sex.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is
spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

My computers and controllers love the cooler weather. I am getting as much
done right now as I can. Metal Nibbler Two has been tested on two interim
controllers, and I got a good start on hooking it up to its final controller
today. When Its done I'll have to decide if I plan to do the much needed
teardown and upgrade on Metal Nibbler One, or if I plan to get serious about
the retrofit on Metal Nibbler Three. I got three identical controller
computers in a week or so ago. Just chasing down some more memory and real
(not onboard) video and parallel ports.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is
spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book
"Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the
digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I
can't find any
more space to store books.

Wes

Industrial Sound Systems

Howard Sams Publications, circa 1954

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:29:24 -0500, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

_Brave New War_ awaits me on my nightstand. I'm finishing up
2 Lee Child titles from the library while I await 3 more W.E.B.
Griffin titles from the library and _The Intuition Experiment_ from an
Amazon vendor. _Eat Fat, Lose Fat_ and _The 4 Hour Workweek_ are open
or tabbed in the smelly library. _Google SketchUp Missing Manual_ is
on my computer desk, crying for more time.

LOVE Lee Child! Hate to admit but like Nora Roberts, I just skip over the sex.

Does Nora write anything else in those books? Me mum's a fan.

Child was referred to me by another reader of Nora Roberts, but it's
not the sexy books he reads, it's some other sort under a different
pseudonym. I don't recall it at the moment. BTW, is this some kind
of NRA Instructor collusion or ritual? Rob teaches, too.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
-- Doris Lessing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is
spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book
"Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the
digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals
I can't find any
more space to store books.

Wes

--

4 Cussler titles from Costco for $3 each.

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.

Tom - why do you change your user name so often?

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 6:29*pm, Wes wrote:
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.
Wes

http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Pilot-.../dp/0312560230

Ed Rasimus is a regular poster on rec.aviation.military.
Long ago I switched from adventures invented by writers to first-hand
accounts by the participants. Pilots and sub skippers can be very
articulate story tellers.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:10:14 -0600
"David R. Birch" wrote:

On 2/28/2011 5:29 PM, Wes wrote:
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book "Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I can't find any
more space to store books.

Wes

"The Confusion" by Neal Stephenson

Been around for awhile but I recently read "Snow Crash" by Neal
Stephenson. Seems to fit the times right now in a morbid sort of
way ;-)

Also "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" series by Steig Larsson
(Excellent!), "The Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne. There are several
different translations around. This is the one I read:

http://jv.gilead.org.il/kravitz/

And for some light-hearted fluff I'm about halfway through Sue Grafton's
Kinsey Millhone private detective series (ie A is for Alibi, B is for
Burglar, C is for Corpse...).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I've almost quit on books. Just read my 'puter.

But, I've got two shops. The basment one is nice and warm. I covered
the entire floor with blue chips today. Crunchy to walk on. About 4
hours run on the 10EE and an hour on the drill press.

I am also not reading nearly as much as I did, and I did not like the
Kindle, personally, because it did not have the titles that I wanted.

I'm not reading anything right now, which is unusual for me. When I am
reading it's always non-fiction. But I just ordered a Kindle that should
be here by the end of the week. Once I get that I will be reading again.
But what I was wondering was how many people here have switched over to
ereaders like the Kindle and how they like them. My 83 year old mother
got one recently and she seems to like it a lot. So how many of you have
moved away from books and into electronic readers? I'm making the move
this week. I hope I like it because it really seems like a convenient
way to read anytime or place I want, and because there are so many books
available for almost nothing.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I read "Winner Take All Society".

very boring read, but interesting ideas.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 05:42:16 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:29:24 -0500, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

_Brave New War_ awaits me on my nightstand. I'm finishing up
2 Lee Child titles from the library while I await 3 more W.E.B.
Griffin titles from the library and _The Intuition Experiment_ from an
Amazon vendor. _Eat Fat, Lose Fat_ and _The 4 Hour Workweek_ are open
or tabbed in the smelly library. _Google SketchUp Missing Manual_ is
on my computer desk, crying for more time.

LOVE Lee Child! Hate to admit but like Nora Roberts, I just skip over the sex.

Does Nora write anything else in those books? Me mum's a fan.

Child was referred to me by another reader of Nora Roberts, but it's
not the sexy books he reads, it's some other sort under a different
pseudonym. I don't recall it at the moment. BTW, is this some kind
of NRA Instructor collusion or ritual? Rob teaches, too.

I'm currently reading "Perilous Fight" by Stephen Budiansky, about the
naval part of the War of 1812.... when I'm not outside on the patio,
drinking beer and watching the cedar waxwings, bluebirds,
mockingbirds, house finches, deer, etc. in the 70 degree blue sky
weather. Spring in Texas is long and very pleasant. Of course, it's
then followed by the very hot, long summer.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Yea, she writes stuff in between the sex...but she must be really horny! J.D. Robb is
Nora Robert's other pen name. A bit of a different style, good mystery and adventure
and a fast read.

You HAVE to read everything written by Janet Evanovich! **** your pants funny! David
Baldacci is an excellent author! Author Brad Thor in a friend of one of my brush
machine supplier friends and Brad Thor has used his name in some of his books as a
minor character. Brad does a mean BBQ! You'd like his books, spy and adventure type.

I found a great niche...teaching ccw and basic pistol and coaching one-on one.
Expensive, but clients love the idea. I'm waiting for my certs and rocker for
"Certified Reloading Instructor" and have a spark of an idea to provide similar. I
only did the courses because it was at my club, I got a discount and I was bored. I
was terribly worried about the qual. shooting but I was one of only two of us out of
ten passed the first time. The 50' range with a 6" circle is intimidating under
pressure and more than 2 fliers and you're out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28206 wrote:

I am also not reading nearly as much as I did, and I did not like the
Kindle, personally, because it did not have the titles that I wanted.

What kinds of titles did you not find?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

I'm currently reading "Perilous Fight" by Stephen Budiansky, about the
naval part of the War of 1812.... when I'm not outside on the patio,
drinking beer and watching the cedar waxwings, bluebirds,
mockingbirds, house finches, deer, etc. in the 70 degree blue sky
weather. Spring in Texas is long and very pleasant. Of course, it's
then followed by the very hot, long summer.

Having toured Texas on a bicycle back in the 90's, I know how hot it gets in April. Enjoy
while you can. Btw, Texas deer look gay .

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-01, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28206 wrote:

I am also not reading nearly as much as I did, and I did not like the
Kindle, personally, because it did not have the titles that I wanted.

What kinds of titles did you not find?

Wes

I do not remember, but a lot of history and engineering type
books. A lof of books published some years ago. Nothing rare or very
unusual.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote:

On 2/28/2011 5:29 PM, Wes wrote:
Winter still has us in its grip for many of us and I suspect more time is spent in the
house reading a book rather than out in your shop machining.

I'm currently reading Star Parkers "Uncle Sam's Plantation", GWB's book "Decision Points",
and Sen James Webb's, "Fields of Fire" on my kindle. I moved into the digital world
recently since I am filled to the gills with paper books and periodicals I can't find any
more space to store books.

Wes

I have an entire 3'x1'x7' bookshelf for my IN box. sigh

"The Confusion" by Neal Stephenson

Been around for awhile but I recently read "Snow Crash" by Neal
Stephenson. Seems to fit the times right now in a morbid sort of
way ;-)

Hmm...

Also "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" series by Steig Larsson

I just watched that movie a couple months ago, and then "The Girl Who
Played With Fire" last week. Next is "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's
Nest". They've been fun movies.

(Excellent!), "The Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne. There are several
different translations around. This is the one I read:

http://jv.gilead.org.il/kravitz/

And for some light-hearted fluff I'm about halfway through Sue Grafton's
Kinsey Millhone private detective series (ie A is for Alibi, B is for
Burglar, C is for Corpse...).

I'm waiting for the rest of Rachel Caine's 'Morganville Vampire' books
to come back into the library for me to check out. That girl can
WRITE! Her 'Weather Warden' series left me in tears quite a few times
and I'm seeing if the MV series can do as well.

Oh, the 'Harry Dresden' books are, at minimum, ten times better than
the TV version was. What a dramatic difference!

I also just opened "Beyond Terror: Strategy in a Changing World" by
Ralph Peters. It looks -very- good so far. Insightful guy.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
-- Doris Lessing
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I read "...flight" there, twice in a row, and couldn't figure out how
you were getting "naval" out of it. 3rd read is the charm. sigh

when I'm not outside on the patio,
drinking beer and watching the cedar waxwings, bluebirds,
mockingbirds, house finches, deer, etc. in the 70 degree blue sky
weather. Spring in Texas is long and very pleasant. Of course, it's
then followed by the very hot, long summer.

Today was 60F and the rain didn't appear as scheduled, though it's due
in tonight. I was watching the interaction of the robins and blue
jays (as well as stellar jays). The robins don't back off as quickly
as the other smaller birds do, and the jays do NOT like that. They're
mean effers.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
-- Doris Lessing
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:55:22 -0500, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

Robb, yeah, that's the name.

You HAVE to read everything written by Janet Evanovich! **** your pants funny! David
Baldacci is an excellent author! Author Brad Thor in a friend of one of my brush
machine supplier friends and Brad Thor has used his name in some of his books as a
minor character. Brad does a mean BBQ! You'd like his books, spy and adventure type.

I'll have to check them out.

I found a great niche...teaching ccw and basic pistol and coaching one-on one.
Expensive, but clients love the idea.

Cool, go for it!

'm waiting for my certs and rocker for
"Certified Reloading Instructor" and have a spark of an idea to provide similar. I
only did the courses because it was at my club, I got a discount and I was bored. I
was terribly worried about the qual. shooting but I was one of only two of us out of
ten passed the first time. The 50' range with a 6" circle is intimidating under
pressure and more than 2 fliers and you're out.

Congrats. I don't have the eyesight (or stable hands any more) to go
after something like that. 'Course, I'm not very competitive, either,
so matches don't attract me. "Competent" works for me.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
-- Doris Lessing
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 18:19:35 -0600

On 2011-03-01, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28206 wrote:

I am also not reading nearly as much as I did, and I did not like the
Kindle, personally, because it did not have the titles that I wanted.

What kinds of titles did you not find?

Wes

I do not remember, but a lot of history and engineering type
books. A lof of books published some years ago. Nothing rare or very
unusual.

Kindle can't read epub, which seriously limits it. Which also
prevents it from being able to read library ebooks,
which are usually drm epub format. Amazon admits to doing that on
purpose to force people into buying their ebooks and it only has
internal memory, no expansion memory card support.

I narrowed my choices down to the wifi Nook, but they still cost more
than I'm willing to spend on one... There are more models still
coming out so maybe something better will turn up if I keep
waiting ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/28/2011 3:29 PM, Wes wrote:

Been without power for 3 days due to a tree in my power lines, then no
internet/cable TV for another 2 because in getting the tree out of the
power lines, my cable line was severed.

Gave me a chance to read A Soldier's Story by Omar Bradley.
It was a most interesting read, dealing primarily with what went on
behind the scenes and how and why decisions were made. I've never read
anything on WWII from that perspective before.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 1:48*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
Gave me a chance to read A Soldier's Story by Omar Bradley.
It was a most interesting read, dealing primarily with what went on
behind the scenes and how and why decisions were made. I've never read
anything on WWII from that perspective before.

Jon

The 1983 rewrite titled "A General's Life" was able to reveal
declassified Ultra intelligence that really shaped his decisions.

Patton and Audie Murphy in WW2 and for WW1, Erwin Rommel, Herbert
Mcbride and Eddie Rickenbacker all wrote fascinating war adventures.
http://www.amazon.com/Rifleman-Went-...9106710&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Infantry-Attac.../dp/0760337152

The classic crazy fighter pilot memoir is God is my Copilot. Scott was
born in 1908 and judged too old for combat in WW2 but fast-talked his
way in anyway; he wasn't too old to run with the Olympic torch in
Atlanta:
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...p.grid-4x2.jpg

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

Kindle can't read epub, which seriously limits it. Which also
prevents it from being able to read library ebooks,
which are usually drm epub format. Amazon admits to doing that on
purpose to force people into buying their ebooks and it only has
internal memory, no expansion memory card support.

I narrowed my choices down to the wifi Nook, but they still cost more
than I'm willing to spend on one... There are more models still
coming out so maybe something better will turn up if I keep
waiting ;-)

I bought a kindle at the 139 dollar price point. I also doubt it will be my last reading
platform.

I'm not really thrilled about some of Amazons pricing schemes on books that are dated
either. However, I've read enough books so far that, I've broke even on paper vs
electronic.

Newspapers on kindle stink as far as I can tell. Maybe there is one that does it right
but I haven't found it amongst the papers I'm willing to spend money to obtain.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/2/2011 3:01 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The 1983 rewrite titled "A General's Life" was able to reveal
declassified Ultra intelligence that really shaped his decisions.

That would be worth a re-read, I'll have to get a copy. And thanks for
the other recommendations, will hunt them down too.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 6:44*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 3/2/2011 3:01 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The 1983 rewrite titled "A General's Life" was able to reveal
declassified Ultra intelligence that really shaped his decisions.

That would be worth a re-read, I'll have to get a copy. And thanks for
the other recommendations, will hunt them down too.

Jon

"Popski's Private Army" is uneven but fascinating in places:
http://www.amazon.com/Popskis-Privat.../dp/0304361437
He rode with the Desert Rats and then led his own version in the
mountains of Italy.

Shifting to the Navy, if you like real-life tales by masters and
commanders with BIG brass ones, try this:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=536375

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-02, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

The classic crazy fighter pilot memoir is God is my Copilot. Scott was
born in 1908 and judged too old for combat in WW2 but fast-talked his
way in anyway; he wasn't too old to run with the Olympic torch in
Atlanta:
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...p.grid-4x2.jpg

Hmm ... Might I suggest _Stranger to the Ground_ by Richard
Bach? (Actually the same fellow who wrote _Jonathon Livingston
Seagull_.) Apparently everything he writes involves flying in some way.

It is hardly an adventure story -- more a contemplative look at
the experience of flying a military jet on a long flight, with
flashbacks to training and takeoffs and landings. I actually read that
one before _Jonathon Livingston Seagull_ came out. Probably thoroughly
out of print by now. Hmm ... it was from 1963, but it has a reprint by
Dell in 1990. I must have read the 1963 version -- though it was in
paperback too.

Most of what I read is Science Fiction and Fantasy -- but I also
read quite a few of the more humorous mystery stories she reads

And we're both enjoying the series by Michael Jecks starting
with _The Last Templar_ (not the same as at least one other book by the
same name which is supposed to be more like an Umberto Eco story. The
ones which we are reading are mystery stories actually set in the early
1300s and give a very good feel for what it was like to live back then.
Lots of history in them too.

And I think that I am much happier with today's world, even with
its problems -- at least here in the USA. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Reading RCM via Mac? steamer Metalworking 8 March 28th 10 06:07 PM
OT Reading TheOldFellow UK diy 11 September 27th 09 11:35 AM
hello Sam, what are we reading Gordon[_6_] Electronics Repair 0 April 13th 09 02:26 AM
Reading this ng Matthew Woodworking 0 January 30th 05 06:55 PM