Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It is still winter for many of us, what are you reading?

On 2011-03-02, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

The classic crazy fighter pilot memoir is God is my Copilot. Scott was
born in 1908 and judged too old for combat in WW2 but fast-talked his
way in anyway; he wasn't too old to run with the Olympic torch in
Atlanta:
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...p.grid-4x2.jpg

Hmm ... Might I suggest _Stranger to the Ground_ by Richard
Bach? (Actually the same fellow who wrote _Jonathon Livingston
Seagull_.) Apparently everything he writes involves flying in some way.

It is hardly an adventure story -- more a contemplative look at
the experience of flying a military jet on a long flight, with
flashbacks to training and takeoffs and landings. I actually read that
one before _Jonathon Livingston Seagull_ came out. Probably thoroughly
out of print by now. Hmm ... it was from 1963, but it has a reprint by
Dell in 1990. I must have read the 1963 version -- though it was in
paperback too.

Most of what I read is Science Fiction and Fantasy -- but I also
read quite a few of the more humorous mystery stories she reads

And we're both enjoying the series by Michael Jecks starting
with _The Last Templar_ (not the same as at least one other book by the
same name which is supposed to be more like an Umberto Eco story. The
ones which we are reading are mystery stories actually set in the early
1300s and give a very good feel for what it was like to live back then.
Lots of history in them too.

And I think that I am much happier with today's world, even with
its problems -- at least here in the USA. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564