Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Five dolaar ObamaGas by summer $5

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:11:50 -0500, "Tom Gardner" bs@ln wrote:

"Shall not be infringed" wrote in message
On Feb 26, 4:02 pm, Hawke wrote:
On 2/25/2011 4:54 PM, Boris Kapusta wrote:

Gas may hit $5 by summer

Anti-government protests in Libya raising questions about reliability
of oil shipments

So now do you understand why he's trying to get the country to switch
from fossil fuels to alternative ones? It's pretty simple really.
Although I'm not sure a right winger can understand it.

Hawke

Walking is very healthy.
**************

Of course liberals abhor nuclear power. They wouldn't have a stranglehold on energy
like they would rationing watts from meager wind and solar. What will you do with
your 18 watt-hours of power every month at a cost of $400.00, light a single LED by
your toilet at night? That fits the liberal agenda of destroying industry,
transportation and commerce. But I'll bet AlGore's mansions will be well lit, heated
and air conditioned.

Well, I'm gonna go GREEN and buy some of these extreme
electricity-saving products so I can save up for Barrycare payments.
http://tinyurl.com/4tkl4ca

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guys, can someone educate me a bit. I thought that imported oil was
used for vehicle fuel or chemical industry, but not for burning in
power plants. Am I mistaken?

In any case, personally, I do not see alternatives to nuclear
power. Other countries have long solver used fuel disposal problems.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15145" wrote in message
Guys, can someone educate me a bit. I thought that imported oil was
used for vehicle fuel or chemical industry, but not for burning in
power plants. Am I mistaken?

In any case, personally, I do not see alternatives to nuclear
power. Other countries have long solver used fuel disposal problems.

The cost of fighting the lawsuits filed by econuts kills any hope
of building any new nuclear power plants.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15145" wrote in message
Guys, can someone educate me a bit. I thought that imported oil was
used for vehicle fuel or chemical industry, but not for burning in
power plants. Am I mistaken?

Only a tiny portion of oil is used for generating electricity -- 1% in 2009.
It was 18% in 1973:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/energy_in_bri..._and_users.cfm

In any case, personally, I do not see alternatives to nuclear
power. Other countries have long solver used fuel disposal problems.

I don't see any alternatives, either. However, no country has solved its
problems with the disposal of spent fuel. Some just pretend it will go away.
The French seem to be comfortable with rather large amounts of plutonium
sloshing around their energy/industrial system, which exchanges one problem
for another.

They're developing a fast breeder, they say, which produces something other
than plutonium. Good luck to them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15145" wrote in message
Guys, can someone educate me a bit. I thought that imported oil was
used for vehicle fuel or chemical industry, but not for burning in
power plants. Am I mistaken?

In any case, personally, I do not see alternatives to nuclear
power. Other countries have long solver used fuel disposal problems.

Most but not all oil-powered plants were converted to Natural Gas or closed. Fusion
is the answer and it's "just around the corner" and has been for fifty years. The
French seemed to have figured out nuclear power, why don't we ask them? A family of
four in France produce enough nuclear waste in a lifetime to fill a teacup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 4:25*am, "Tom Gardner" tg@tg,com wrote:
"Ignoramus15145" wrote in message

Guys, can someone educate me a bit. I thought that imported oil was
used for vehicle fuel or chemical industry, but not for burning in
power plants. Am I mistaken?

In any case, personally, I do not see alternatives to nuclear
power. Other countries have long solver used fuel disposal problems.

Most but not all oil-powered plants were converted to Natural Gas or closed. *Fusion
is the answer and it's "just around the corner" and has been for fifty years. *The
French seemed to have figured out nuclear power, why don't we ask them? *A family of
four in France produce enough nuclear waste in a lifetime to fill a teacup.

And what would you propose to do with those tens of millions of
teacups of plutonium? Can we store them at your house?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-27, rangerssuck wrote:
On Feb 27, 4:25?am, "Tom Gardner" tg@tg,com wrote:
"Ignoramus15145" wrote in message

Guys, can someone educate me a bit. I thought that imported oil was
used for vehicle fuel or chemical industry, but not for burning in
power plants. Am I mistaken?

In any case, personally, I do not see alternatives to nuclear
power. Other countries have long solver used fuel disposal problems.

Most but not all oil-powered plants were converted to Natural Gas or closed. ?Fusion
is the answer and it's "just around the corner" and has been for fifty years. ?The
French seemed to have figured out nuclear power, why don't we ask them? ?A family of
four in France produce enough nuclear waste in a lifetime to fill a teacup.

And what would you propose to do with those tens of millions of
teacups of plutonium? Can we store them at your house?

What the Russians do is they melt glass, and mix the radiactive waste
with the glass. The resulting glass rods are radioactive, but safe to
store, they do not leech any elements, and if they even break up. they
still stay in one place.

The French do something even smarter and recycle their own nuclear
waste.

I, personally, would like to see more nuclear energy produced.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 09:41:45 -0600, Ignoramus31412
wrote:

On 2011-02-27, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Are the Russian nuclear engineers all liberals?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 10:41*am, Ignoramus31412 ignoramus31...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-02-27, rangerssuck wrote:

On Feb 27, 4:25?am, "Tom Gardner" tg@tg,com wrote:
"Ignoramus15145" wrote in message

om...

[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

Don't get me wrong - I am in favor of nuclear powerplants as
replacements for fossil fuel plants. I wouldn't, however, want to see
bad replaced with worse. If there REALLY is safe storage, sign me up.

On the other hand, I think the real direction we must go in is to
reduce the amount of energy we consume. It's absolutely insane that
mothers are driving their kids to school in multi-ton trucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-28, Tom Gardner uig@fgt wrote:
And what would you propose to do with those tens of millions of
teacups of plutonium? Can we store them at your house?

I thought you would have had at least one math class in you life but you show that you
haven't. 100,000,000 teacups of 4 oz would be about a 25' cube. That'll fit on the
back patio...unlike your stupidity...or ignorance...whichever...or both. And,
Plutonium is NOT the waste product, Plutonium is used in fast-breeder reactors. Why
do you continue to embarrass yourself?

My calculation gives me a bigger cube, 25x25x25 meters.

Anyway, if you compacted those heat yielding waste materials into one
such cube, it would be a very spectacular event to observe, preferably
from a large distance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 12:11*am, "Tom Gardner" uig@fgt wrote:

*I know, I know...you'd MUCH rather remain ignorant
so you can make a fool of yourself.

Tom -

For your own betterment, perhaps you should take a little quiet time
today to ask yourself why it is impossible for you to deliver
information without attaching a totally unwarranted insult.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
Forget the heat. A 5" sphere of Pu 239 is roughly a critical mass. g

Of course, the waste product from a breeder reactor contains several
isotopes of plutonium, which have various effects that are beyond my
understanding, but I wouldn't want to be on the same planet with a 25'
cube of it.

A 25 foot cube would be the breath of hell...

When you mix in Pu 240, which, I'm told, is a substantial portion of the
Pu produced in a powerplant breeder reactor, the critical mass becomes
*much* larger. But, jeez, this is not something from which to draw
conclusions about waste disposal unless you have a good handle on
plutonium and nuclear fission.

The fast breeders produce more Pu 239, according to some sources I've
read. But all of the science in those layman's descriptions is so
dumbed-down for us layers that I don't really know what the story is. We
do dispose of weapons-grade Pu 239 by somehow oxidizing it and melting it
with borosilicate glass. Again, this is not something to try at home. d8-)

But a sphere of high-grade Pu 239 metal larger than 4" or 5" is
impossible. It would be Trinity, all over again, before you made the ball
any bigger than that.

(Well, not quite, because the plutonium you would try to add to a
subcritical mass explodes before the mass of material can become
supercritical -- and it's not a result of fission, exactly. That's why
gun-type triggers ((which we used in the Little Man bomb on Nagasaki))
don't work with plutonium cores. You need U 235 for that.)

Correction, that was Little Boy, and it was the (previously untested) bomb
we dropped on Hiroshima.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 10:49*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 00:07:57 -0500, "Tom Gardner" uig@fgt wrote:

I thought you would have had at least one math class in you life but you show that you
haven't. *100,000,000 teacups of 4 oz would be about a 25' cube. *That'll fit on the
back patio...unlike your stupidity...or ignorance...whichever...or both. *And,
Plutonium is NOT the waste product, Plutonium is used in fast-breeder reactors. *Why
do you continue to embarrass yourself?

Because he's a libtard troll. Any questions?

And **** you too, Larry. Actually, I agree with virtually all of what
you wrote below, but you're too blinded by political hatred to see
that, What a shame that you shut yourself in such a tiny world.

Right, and our country produces (hi and lo level rad) a tanker full
instead of a teacup's worth per family. We don't do any recycling at
all, which is assinine.

France is doing some things right, but they're also about to be taken
over by Islamic fundamentalists. *Won't that be fun for the world?

Regarding our power use, we should have been discontinuing hi-watt
halogens and hi-press sodiums instead of just incandescent lamps.
With the exception of street lights, replace all full-time area
lighting (including porch lights) with motion sensed lamps.
My neighbor's 150w porch light uses more energy during the dark hours
than all of my lighting does in an entire day. (2 or 3 23w CFLs)

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 12:22*am, Ignoramus31412
And what would you propose to do with those tens of millions of
teacups of plutonium? *100,000,000 teacups of 4 oz would be about a 25' cube.

My calculation gives me a bigger cube, 25x25x25 meters

.. Anyway, if you compacted those heat yielding waste materials into
one
such cube, it would be a very spectacular event to observe, preferably
from a large distance.

I am confused. Are you talking about teacups that will hold 4 fluid
ounces. Or are you talking teacups that hold 4 ounces of plutonium.?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
Forget the heat. A 5" sphere of Pu 239 is roughly a critical mass. g

Of course, the waste product from a breeder reactor contains several
isotopes of plutonium, which have various effects that are beyond my
understanding, but I wouldn't want to be on the same planet with a 25'
cube of it.

A 25 foot cube would be the breath of hell...

The fast breeders produce more Pu 239, according to some sources I've read.
But all of the science in those layman's descriptions is so dumbed-down for
us layers that I don't really know what the story is. We do dispose of
weapons-grade Pu 239 by somehow oxidizing it and melting it with
borosilicate glass. Again, this is not something to try at home. d8-)

At this time, yes, I think it is the best we can do.

Contain. Separate. Stabilize.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 5:15*am, rangerssuck wrote:
On Feb 28, 12:11*am, "Tom Gardner" uig@fgt wrote:

*I know, I know...you'd MUCH rather remain ignorant
so you can make a fool of yourself.

Tom -

For your own betterment, perhaps you should take a little quiet time
today to ask yourself why it is impossible for you to deliver
information without attaching a totally unwarranted insult.

And the betterment of humanity.

TMT

ObamaGas $4 on horizon? KG Metalworking 2 April 15th 10 12:22 AM
ObamaGas $4 on horizon? Hawke[_3_] Metalworking 11 April 13th 10 04:57 AM
ObamaGas $4 on horizon? Existential Angst Metalworking 0 April 10th 10 07:54 PM
Summer Golan UK diy 3 April 26th 07 10:16 AM
summer fan [email protected] Home Repair 6 July 23rd 06 11:42 PM