Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Right angle drives, for drilling?

Right angle drives, for drilling?Specifically, the inexpensive
Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill?
Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871, and a
lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle drives/gearing
that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt 18V cordless drill?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ill-67043.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ill-92956.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...uck-95877.html

Why screw around?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On 02 Feb 2011 02:47:44 GMT, John Doe wrote:

Right angle drives, for drilling?Specifically, the inexpensive
Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill?
Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871, and a
lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle drives/gearing
that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt 18V cordless drill?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
Right angle drives, for drilling?Specifically, the inexpensive
Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill?
Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871, and a
lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle drives/gearing
that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt 18V cordless drill?

Define "support"? If your drill motor has a chuck, it will be supported.

Is it sturdy and beefy and something you would expect to last a few years on
a jobsite? Mine doesn't feel that solid, but for what it is it works great.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" jonSPAMMENOTdanniken yahSPAMhoo.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Right angle drives, for drilling?Specifically, the inexpensive
Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill?
Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871,
and a lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle
drives/gearing that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt
18V cordless drill?

Define "support"?

Being able to handle the power of the drill. Being able to handle
the torque that the drill is able to output. Having the same
torque handling capacity and durability as the other parts in the
specified tools.
--

If your drill motor has a chuck, it will be supported.

Is it sturdy and beefy and something you would expect to last a few years on
a jobsite? Mine doesn't feel that solid, but for what it is it works great.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...ng-489371-.htm
artisticirondesign wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Right angle drives, for drilling?Specifically, the inexpensive
Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill?
Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871, and a
lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle drives/gearing
that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt 18V cordless drill?

Thanks.

Maybe you can get more ideas from proffessionals or you may also hire
someone to
do that for you ( professional of course) you may call in Artistic Iron
Design
specializes in providing high quality services.
ArtisticIronDesign(dot)BmbNow(dot)com
--
_ _ _ _
| |_ | |__ (_) ___ (_) ___ _ __ ___ _ _
| __|| '_ \ | |/ __| | |/ __| | '_ ` _ \ | | | |
| |_ | | | || |\__ \ | |\__ \ | | | | | || |_| |
\__||_| |_||_||___/ |_||___/ |_| |_| |_| \__, |
|___/
_ _
___ (_) __ _ _ __ __ _ | |_ _ _ _ __ ___
/ __|| | / _` || '_ \ / _` || __|| | | || '__|/ _ \
\__ \| || (_| || | | || (_| || |_ | |_| || | | __/
|___/|_| \__, ||_| |_| \__,_| \__| \__,_||_| \___|
|___/
Artistic Iron Design

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

artisticirondesign wrote:
Maybe you can get more ideas from proffessionals or you may also hire
someone to
do that for you ( professional of course) you may call in Artistic Iron
Design
specializes in providing high quality services.

Do you actually think that you're going to generate any business by
posting this crap? All you're doing is annoying people. People who
might otherwise visit your site will not now. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
Right angle drives, for drilling?Specifically, the inexpensive
Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill?
Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871,
and a lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle
drives/gearing that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt
18V cordless drill?

Define "support"? *

Being able to handle the power of the drill. Being able to handle
the torque that the drill is able to output. Having the same
torque handling capacity and durability as the other parts in the
specified tools.
--

If your drill motor has a chuck, it will be supported.

Is it sturdy and beefy and something you would expect to last a few years on
a jobsite? *Mine doesn't feel that solid, but for what it is it works great.

Jon- Hide quoted text -

It all depends on what you want to do with the drill. Small holes,
sure, spade bits, maybe, driving 3" holesaws, probably not. I solved
the problem of needing a right-angle drive by getting a pneumatic
right-angle drill. Not cordless but WILL run off the CO2 tank.
Very compact and all the power I need. I don't run it day in and day
out, though. YMMV

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

John Doe wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on 02 Feb 2011 02:47:44 GMT:

Right angle drives, for drilling?Specifically, the inexpensive
Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill?
Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871, and a
lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle drives/gearing
that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt 18V cordless drill?

Thanks.

I have a right angle attachment I got from Harbor Freight that works
good. Cost around $10.00 on sale. The flats on the input shank had
some run out, but I cleaned that up on a surface grinder. When I had
it apart it looked like it would hold up. I've used it in close
quarters with 1.250 spade bits and for driving screws.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

notme privacy.net (dan) wrote:

I have a right angle attachment I got from Harbor Freight

I cannot take advantage of Communist Chinese slave labor while
putting my fellow countrymen out of work. Obviously some people
think that Communist Chinese slave labor is okay. Not actually
owning the slaves makes them feel good about sending their money
to Communist Chinese dictators, but they have essentially the same
mentality that the slave owners have.
--

that works
good. Cost around $10.00 on sale. The flats on the input shank had
some run out, but I cleaned that up on a surface grinder. When I had
it apart it looked like it would hold up. I've used it in close
quarters with 1.250 spade bits and for driving screws.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
eb.com...
notme privacy.net (dan) wrote:

I have a right angle attachment I got from Harbor Freight

I cannot take advantage of Communist Chinese slave labor while
putting my fellow countrymen out of work. Obviously some people
think that Communist Chinese slave labor is okay. Not actually
owning the slaves makes them feel good about sending their money
to Communist Chinese dictators, but they have essentially the same
mentality that the slave owners have.

Are you on drugs, or just stupid?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-02, JR North wrote:

On 02 Feb 2011 02:47:44 GMT, John Doe wrote:

[ ... ]

Right angle drives, for drilling?Specifically, the inexpensive
Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill?
Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871, and a
lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle drives/gearing
that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt 18V cordless drill?

[ ... ]

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ill-67043.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ill-92956.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...uck-95877.html

Why screw around?

If you want something which is battery powered, and does a nice
job, take a look at the following item from Rigid:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

with the following needed to power it:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

FWIW -- I have this kit, the drill head above, and the hammer which
follows:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

and have found all to be quite useful. I haven't bothered with the
impact drivers or the ratchet heads, because I have compressed air tools
for that. (Actually, for the drill too -- but this one has plenty of
torque to drive drywall screws.)

So -- if you can benefit from other parts of the kit, you might
find the kit better than a single tool. I used them all for some
drywall work and installing outlets in cramped spaces (which is where
the power hammer helped -- there was not room to swing a good hammer to
attach the outlet boxes to the framing.

Yes, it is 12V not 18V, but it is also LiIon and seems to do
better than a similar volume of NiCad cells.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
[...]

It shouldn't overheat, run from compressed CO2.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:52:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
web.com...
notme privacy.net (dan) wrote:

I have a right angle attachment I got from Harbor Freight

I cannot take advantage of Communist Chinese slave labor while
putting my fellow countrymen out of work. Obviously some people
think that Communist Chinese slave labor is okay. Not actually
owning the slaves makes them feel good about sending their money
to Communist Chinese dictators, but they have essentially the same
mentality that the slave owners have.

Are you on drugs, or just stupid?

Wasn't he the shop steward for the millwrights' union a while back?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:52:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
aweb.com...
notme privacy.net (dan) wrote:

I have a right angle attachment I got from Harbor Freight

I cannot take advantage of Communist Chinese slave labor while
putting my fellow countrymen out of work. Obviously some people
think that Communist Chinese slave labor is okay. Not actually
owning the slaves makes them feel good about sending their money
to Communist Chinese dictators, but they have essentially the same
mentality that the slave owners have.

Are you on drugs, or just stupid?

Wasn't he the shop steward for the millwrights' union a while back?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I think they made him business agent .....................

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03 Feb 2011 00:59:00 GMT, John Doe wrote:

notme privacy.net (dan) wrote:

I have a right angle attachment I got from Harbor Freight

I cannot take advantage of Communist Chinese slave labor while
putting my fellow countrymen out of work. Obviously some people
think that Communist Chinese slave labor is okay. Not actually
owning the slaves makes them feel good about sending their money
to Communist Chinese dictators, but they have essentially the same
mentality that the slave owners have.

What are the odds the $25 VA drill attachment is *not* made in China?

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

notme privacy.net (dan) wrote:

I have a right angle attachment I got from Harbor Freight

I cannot take advantage of Communist Chinese slave labor while
putting my fellow countrymen out of work. Obviously some people
think that Communist Chinese slave labor is okay. Not actually
owning the slaves makes them feel good about sending their money
to Communist Chinese dictators, but they have essentially the same
mentality that the slave owners have.

Interesting. Hadn't heard that old saw in a few years, not since a lot
of US businesses moved off shore and Americans started visiting China.

I'm not sure where any Chinese prisons are actually in the
manufacturing business but all those thousands of bicycle riders, and
increasingly motorcycle riders are not slaves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

notme privacy.net (dan) wrote:

I have a right angle attachment I got from Harbor Freight

I cannot take advantage of Communist Chinese slave labor while
putting my fellow countrymen out of work. Obviously some people
think that Communist Chinese slave labor is okay. Not actually
owning the slaves makes them feel good about sending their money
to Communist Chinese dictators, but they have essentially the same
mentality that the slave owners have.

What are the odds the $25 VA drill attachment is *not* made in China?

Or the odds that anything isn't made in China these days.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

I have only frozen a
regulator about three times during HEAVY use, and they were the $25
variety.

I've never owned a $25 regulator. My mileage may have varied from yours.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

I have only frozen a
regulator about three times during HEAVY use, and they were the $25
variety.

I've never owned a $25 regulator. My mileage may have varied from yours.

LLoyd

Maybe they're more now. But yes, you can get cheapies for MIG welding for
low prices. They aren't very good, and don't last a long time if you weld
much at all. When you're getting started, a $20 CO2 regulator that will get
you by until you make enough to get into Victors is standard. One at
Northern Tools is now $49. That was about 1978, so I'm sure they've gone up
a few bux.

My last yard sale purchase of two Victor regulators (the large 450-460 ones)
plus 50' hose plus cutting head plus cart plus accessories was $45, so doing
that math, I guess those were really $10 regulators. They worked just fine
for a $10 regulator.

I have never paid retail for a regulator in my life except for those $20 CO2
regs.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

I have never paid retail for a regulator in my life except for those
$20 CO2

Sorry for that. There are benefits to dealing with a reputable local
vendor.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

I have never paid retail for a regulator in my life except for those
$20 CO2

Sorry for that. There are benefits to dealing with a reputable local
vendor.

LLoyd

I use them for service and parts. Some used rigs are better than the new
ones. Of the half dozen used rigs I've bought, a trip to rehab never was
much, as I only bought working sets. There's not a hell of a lot to them,
and are easy to check for condition.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:17:47 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:732r18-
:

Running it for very long at all can cause problems from freezing. I've
frozen CO2 regulators (cheap ones) from running almost continuously.

I don't understand that, unless you were running liquid to the regulator.

CO2 is liquified under much less pressure than (say) O2 is compressed
(not liquified) in its cylinder.

A gas cools proportionately to the expansion ratio. CO2 expands much
less than would the O2 because it's at lower pressure in the tank. It
will cool less, as well.

We use lots of CO2-powered confetti equipment, some regulated, some not.
We've _never_ frozen a regulator, even running gas-to-gas continuously
for twenty minutes.

Now... liquid-to-gas... yeah. You'll freeze up in a hurry; just a minute
or two at a couple of cubic feet per minute.

Freezing a CO2 regulator is not a problem I've faced, but I did end up
with a couple of these in an auction lot, so it's apparently a real
phenomenon.
http://weldingdirect.com/elhereflforc.html

--
Ned Simmons