Simon Mustey

Default Drilling on an angle

I want to drill a hole on a 1/4 inch 45 degree hole through the centre of a
peice 1.5 inch shed. 40 steam pipe. What is the best way to do this?

thanks

Simon

Bugs

You need to state your problem in a little more detail. What size is
the hole? What kind of equipment do you have to drill with? What kind
of finish does it need?
Bugs

Grady

Do you have a means to adjust your work in a vise at a 45 degree angle or
does your drill press/mill head cant to a 45 degree angle? How long is the
work piece? If the piece is too big to chuck up in a vise then you will have
to make some kind of fixture to attach to the pipe to maintain your angle.
Need more input before I can decide how I would drill the hole. What tools
do you have to work with? How accurate does the angle need to be and how

"Simon Mustey" wrote in message
I want to drill a hole on a 1/4 inch 45 degree hole through the centre of a
peice 1.5 inch shed. 40 steam pipe. What is the best way to do this?

thanks

Simon

Assuming this is a full joint of pipe, 21 feet long, I would use a file
to make a little 45 degree notch so the drill bit will not wander.
Then make a jig to hold the drill at 45 degrees and centered on the
pipe. I would make the jig for about an 1/8th inch drill as well as for
your 1/4 inch drill. I would then drill through one side of the pipe
with the 1/8 inch drill. THen I would figure out where the exit ought
to be on the other side and file a notch there. Then move the jig
there and drill an 1/8 inch hole. Then I would use a 1/8th inch
aircraft drill to go in from one side and out the other. Probably
repeat with a 3/16 th inch aircraft drill , before using the 1/4 inch
drill to go thru the pipe.

Dan
Simon Mustey wrote:
I want to drill a hole on a 1/4 inch 45 degree hole through the

centre of a
peice 1.5 inch shed. 40 steam pipe. What is the best way to do this?

thanks

Simon

Bob May

Start the hole squared on and then after you get down to where you have a
few thou of wall, work the drill over to the 45 deg. angle while it is
turning.
The alternate is to make up a block that will guid the drill at the 45 deg.
angle and clamp that where you want to drill the hole. There are drill
guide inserts that will keep the block from being chawed up available.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

jasonrnorth

Start a straight hole until the flute tips are flush with the surface.
Tip the drill slowly 45° and procede.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Simon Mustey wrote:
I want to drill a hole on a 1/4 inch 45 degree hole through the centre of a
peice 1.5 inch shed. 40 steam pipe. What is the best way to do this?

thanks

Simon

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"