Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Right angle drives, for drilling?

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:17:47 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:732r18-
:

Running it for very long at all can cause problems from freezing. I've
frozen CO2 regulators (cheap ones) from running almost continuously.

I don't understand that, unless you were running liquid to the regulator.

CO2 is liquified under much less pressure than (say) O2 is compressed
(not liquified) in its cylinder.

A gas cools proportionately to the expansion ratio. CO2 expands much
less than would the O2 because it's at lower pressure in the tank. It
will cool less, as well.

We use lots of CO2-powered confetti equipment, some regulated, some not.
We've _never_ frozen a regulator, even running gas-to-gas continuously
for twenty minutes.

Now... liquid-to-gas... yeah. You'll freeze up in a hurry; just a minute
or two at a couple of cubic feet per minute.

Freezing a CO2 regulator is not a problem I've faced, but I did end up
with a couple of these in an auction lot, so it's apparently a real
phenomenon.
http://weldingdirect.com/elhereflforc.html

--
Ned Simmons