Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Amazon Heads Up

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 00:08:52 -0600, "ChairMan" wrote:

In ,
sam spewed forth:

Quit smoking. It's bad for you.

Sam, that should be "Quit smoking. Don't you realize that you stink
like a dirty ashtray all day long?" My neighbor is a heavy smoker and
I have to spray air freshener in my house after she's been here for
five minutes, and I don't allow smoking anywhere near my house.

if everybody quits, do you think the gvnmt will cut the billions they
recieve in taxes from their budgets or just find someone or something else
to tax?
be careful what you wish forg

Do you honestly think that the taxes brought in from tobacco sales
outweigh the massive healthcare debt brought on by sick smokers?

--
If you're looking for the key to the Universe,
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked.
--Swami Beyondananda
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 06:04:28 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

if everybody quits, do you think the gvnmt will cut the billions they
recieve in taxes from their budgets or just find someone or something else
to tax?
be careful what you wish forg

Do you honestly think that the taxes brought in from tobacco sales
outweigh the massive healthcare debt brought on by sick smokers?

Actually...yes. Only 20% of smokers have medical issues related to
smoking. Yet 100% of smokers pay into the system in very big big ways.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

if everybody quits, do you think the gvnmt will cut the billions they
recieve in taxes from their budgets or just find someone or something else
to tax?
be careful what you wish forg

Do you honestly think that the taxes brought in from tobacco sales
outweigh the massive healthcare debt brought on by sick smokers?

Actually...yes. Only 20% of smokers have medical issues related to
smoking. Yet 100% of smokers pay into the system in very big big ways.

Got any hard figures to go with that? I figured that if ten bucks per
carton went to taxes, the average 2-pack/day smoker would contribute
$730/yr for those 73 cartons. After 20 years, that's $14,600.

How much does a full diagnostic workup for cancer cost?
How much to treat emphysema?

How much does a lung resection/removal cost?
http://healthcarebluebook.com/page_R...=45&dataset=MD
Oops, you just blew THIRTY FIVE YEARS of tax payments, not including
R&R time.

How much does chemo cost?
Throat/mouth cancer treatments?

I think you're wishing here, mon. BTW, Federal taxes are only
$6.16/carton.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Your numbers are out of date. Federal taxes are now $10.10 per carton. State
and local add to that. Around here the taxes are about $47 per carton not
including sales tax.
The median tax (Fed + State not including local) is $23.49 per carton.

I don't know what the current numbers are, but Hills study from the 50's
showed an increased mortality rate for lung cancer and cardiovascular
disease among cigarette smoking doctors at 3.42 per 1000 person years. So
the 20% may be a reasonable number.

So, a thousand people smoke for 20 years. Collectively they pay $343 million
dollars into the fund. 200 get sick that leaves them 1.7 million each for
treatment.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I added a zero. The smokers pay $34.3 million. The sick get $170,000
for treatment.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 11:17:13 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I got that from the first googled site I found with a figure. Cite?

and local add to that. Around here the taxes are about $47 per carton not
including sales tax.

$47 in taxes for, what, a $55 carton? GET REAL! Cites, please.

The median tax (Fed + State not including local) is $23.49 per carton.

Cite?

I don't know what the current numbers are, but Hills study from the 50's
showed an increased mortality rate for lung cancer and cardiovascular
disease among cigarette smoking doctors at 3.42 per 1000 person years. So
the 20% may be a reasonable number.

Cite?

So, a thousand people smoke for 20 years. Collectively they pay $343 million
dollars into the fund. 200 get sick that leaves them 1.7 million each for
treatment.

Redo the figures with real numbers, Paul.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take
the last step into a thousand years of darkness.?
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

$6.16 was the amount of the increase.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...ect-wednesday/

Tobacco companies and public health advocates, longtime foes in the nicotine
battles, are trying to turn the situation to their advantage. The major
cigarette makers raised prices a couple of weeks ago, partly to offset any
drop in profits once the per-pack tax climbs from 39 cents to $1.01.

and local add to that. Around here the taxes are about $47 per carton not
including sales tax.

$47 in taxes for, what, a $55 carton? GET REAL! Cites, please.

http://www.galesburg.com/archive/x54...abitCigarettes in Illinois cost $49 to $55 a carton - with 10 packs in acarton - outside the Chicago area. A carton is $90 to $95 in Chicago becauseof additional taxes imposed by Cook County and the city of Chicago,according to Harry "Bud" Kelley, executive director of the Association ofTobacco and Candy Distributors.The median tax (Fed + State not including local) is $23.49 per carton. Cite?http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/resea.../0097.pdfTable shows all cigarette tax rates in effect now. Since 2002, 47 states,DC, and several U.S. territories have increased their cigarette tax ratesmore than 100 times. The three states in bold type have not increased theircigarette tax since 1999 or earlier. Currently, 29 states, DC, Puerto Rico,the Northern Marianas, and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $1.00 per packor higher; 14 states, DC, and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $2.00 perpack or higher; five states and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $3.00 perpack or higher; and one state (NY) has a cigarette tax rate more than $4.00per pack. Tobacco states are KY, VA, NC, SC, GA, and TN. States' averageincludes DC, but not Puerto Rico, other U.S. territories, or local cigarettetaxes. The median tax rate is $1.339 per pack. AK, MI, MN, MS, UT also havespecial taxes or fees on brands of manufacturers not participating in thestate tobacco lawsuit settlements (NPMsI don't know what the current numbers are, but Hills study from the 50'sshowed an increased mortality rate for lung cancer and cardiovasculardisease among cigarette smoking doctors at 3.42 per 1000 person years. Sothe 20% may be a reasonable number. Cite?http://www.cdc.gov/excite/classroom/smoking_q.pdf Excess Deaths per 1000 Person-YearsLung Cancer 1.23Cardiovascular Disease 2.19So, a thousand people smoke for 20 years. Collectively they pay $343milliondollars into the fund. 200 get sick that leaves them 1.7 million each fortreatment. Redo the figures with real numbers, Paul.I did. If you check my reply to myself, I made a mistake on my firstcalculations, I added an extra zero. The patients only get $170,000.Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The formatting got screwed up in transmission.
This one should be easier.

http://www.galesburg.com/archive/x54...-kicking-habit

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/resea...s/pdf/0097.pdf

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Your numbers are out of date. Federal taxes are now $10.10 per carton. State
and local add to that. Around here the taxes are about $47 per carton not
including sales tax.
The median tax (Fed + State not including local) is $23.49 per carton.

I don't know what the current numbers are, but Hills study from the 50's
showed an increased mortality rate for lung cancer and cardiovascular
disease among cigarette smoking doctors at 3.42 per 1000 person years. So
the 20% may be a reasonable number.

So, a thousand people smoke for 20 years. Collectively they pay $343 million
dollars into the fund. 200 get sick that leaves them 1.7 million each for
treatment.

Paul K. Dickman

Which they will never see a penny of...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Holy ****, Maynard! I sit corrected. It might be cheaper to hire a
moving van and move out of IlliNOISE than pay their ciggy taxes.

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/resea...s/pdf/0097.pdf Table
[...]

I suppose that it is possible for the taxes to pay for it, then, all
other figures withstanding, in some states.

P.S: I spent 5 minutes reformatting the response you sent. Next time,
please leave a space between quoted text and the response, or add a
line and then insert your response, please. Also add a space between
the link and the following text. sigh

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take
the last step into a thousand years of darkness.?
-- Ronald Reagan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/resea...s/pdf/0097.pdf
Table shows all cigarette tax rates in effect now. Since 2002,
47 states,DC, and several U.S. territories have increased their
cigarette tax ratesmore than 100 times. The three states in
bold type have not increased theircigarette tax since 1999 or
earlier. Currently, 29 states, DC, Puerto Rico,the Northern
Marianas, and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $1.00 per pack
or higher; 14 states, DC, and Guam have cigarette tax rates of
$2.00 perpack or higher;

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/repor...php?StateID=OR
Hmm, the toll seems higher in my little state. $1.1B per year in
healthcare, $1.13B in lost productivity, etc. Inflated figures?
Probably, as they have an agenda.

The costs are staggering, aren't they? I'm sure glad I quit. I could
buy a carton of cigs back then for half the price of today's taxes.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take
the last step into a thousand years of darkness.?
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

Something in the cut and paste shifted the formatting. It looked fine until
I saw it on the newsgroup.
I redid it promptly and sent out a revised version.

As to the original premise of cigarette taxes...
I am not advocating smoking.
I am not saying that the taxes are covering the bills. I just don't know.
What I am saying is that those taxes are not chump change.

It probably adds up to over $40 billion a year (state and fed)

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:51:14 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

P.S: I spent 5 minutes reformatting the response you sent. Next time,

....and I still didn't get it right.

please leave a space between quoted text and the response, or add a
line and then insert your response, please. Also add a space between
the link and the following text. sigh

Something in the cut and paste shifted the formatting. It looked fine until
I saw it on the newsgroup.
I redid it promptly and sent out a revised version.

And it came out even worse, plus HTML. Don't worry about it.

As to the original premise of cigarette taxes...
I am not advocating smoking.
I am not saying that the taxes are covering the bills. I just don't know.
What I am saying is that those taxes are not chump change.

It probably adds up to over $40 billion a year (state and fed)

It sure better!

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take
the last step into a thousand years of darkness.?
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You left out state taxes....why?