Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Curious: why would Amazon

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Darrell Dorsey

"David" wrote in message
place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

They have mine broken up in to three shipments. I ordered, 2 31" and 3 -
24". They have one 31 not yet shipped, 3 - 24" not yet shipped and 1 - 31"
saying it will ship soon. The 3 - 24's have a delivery estimate, one 31 has
a delivery estimate and the other 31 has no date.

Who knows what will really happen. I'll wait till they actually send a
shiped notice.

Darrell

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

David writes:

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Different warehouses maybe? Also, UPS has certain dimension limits and
five 80" clamps in one box might exceed the limit.

Amazon's contract with UPS probably doesn't make it much more expensive to
ship five packages to one address than one or two. Big shippers get
amazing flexibility with shipping companies when you ship millions of
items a year.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

"David" wrote in message

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Dave

At first I thought they didnt have them all ready for shipment at the
same time, but they do. all 5 boxes are ready for UPS to pick up.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe T

Ordered 5 of the 31: clamps plus clamping blocks. No idea when they will
ship yet.

Was anyone able to enter the discount codes successfully? I got messages
saying they did not apply.

Joe T

"David" wrote in message
place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

"David" wrote in message

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Dave

yes, I got both discounts. the trick is you have to order the free 24"
clamp, before applying the discount.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"David" wrote in message
place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Dave

Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing. I ordered 6 24's and 4 31's and
every one of them is shipping separately.
I know when I bought a set from Lee Valley, they banded the boxes together
and shipped it as one single unit.

Another poster asked whether anyone was able to enter the discount codes
successfully. Yes, and No. I first entered
an order for 3 24's and 2 31's with all the discounts applied. Decided I
just couldn't live without "pairs" so I tried again.
Didn't work....Finally created a new account with a different email address
and was able to avail of the discounts.

Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

David wrote:
place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together?

At least they won't bang together!

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Joe T wrote:

Was anyone able to enter the discount codes successfully?

Twice
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

You did not his the "Continue to Confirm Order " button 5 times did you.
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe T

Which 24" is free? I didn't see anything tagged as free. Which Bessey 24"
is it.

I just tried canceling he order...too late. Damn!

thanks.

Joe T.

"David" wrote in message

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Dave

yes, I got both discounts. the trick is you have to order the free 24"
clamp, before applying the discount.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eric Berning

David wrote:
place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Dave

They did the same to my order. Got them all today, at the same time,
though.
As for the coupon codes, I had to order all the clamps together, then
put in the codes.
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Joe T wrote:
Ordered 5 of the 31: clamps plus clamping blocks. No idea when they will
ship yet.

Was anyone able to enter the discount codes successfully? I got messages
saying they did not apply.

Joe T

Yes, you have to add 2 Besseys of 31" or longer, and a 24" clamp to
your cart.
That lets you use the BESSEY24 coupon to get a free 24"

OPTIONAL: Then add approximately $50 more in merchandise (I added two
more 24") so you can use the SAVEON125 coupon. This is where the
savings really kick in, because you're getting $30 off that additional
$50 you spend. The total for your order (including the free 24" bessey)
must be $125 or more.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Joe T wrote:
Ordered 5 of the 31: clamps plus clamping blocks. No idea when they will
ship yet.

Was anyone able to enter the discount codes successfully? I got messages
saying they did not apply.

Sorry, the code was SAVON125 AND BESSEY24.. had a typo.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:16:45 -0800, David wrote:

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

That kind of thing never makes sense to me, but a lot of places do it.
I even ordered some DVDs from DeepDiscountDVD and they sent them in 5
different shipments, pretty much one per day, rather than just waiting
and sending them all at once.

But if they're paying shipping, it's fine with me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Well, I got five of my clamps today.. each packed individually. One was
basically "shrinkwrapped" in light cardboard. The other 4 were packed
in huge boxes (individually) the boxes were about 36" long, 16" wide
and 12" high. When I came home, my wife said: HOW MANY CLAMPS DID YOU
ORDER? Which was reasonable, since each box could've held at least 20
clamps. LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Well, I got five of my clamps today.. each packed individually. One was
basically "shrinkwrapped" in light cardboard. The other 4 were packed
in huge boxes (individually) the boxes were about 36" long, 16" wide
and 12" high. When I came home, my wife said: HOW MANY CLAMPS DID YOU
ORDER? Which was reasonable, since each box could've held at least 20
clamps. LOL.

I got four of the clamps in 36" long triangular shaped tubes, the fifth
clamp was in the big box like yours and had one of the 24" long clamps in
it. Each box had it's own shipping invoice with the clamp cost, rebate and
shipping cost. Some cost the same, some didn't!

It still came out to $78.36

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"GeeDubb" wrote in message

I got four of the clamps in 36" long triangular shaped tubes, the fifth
clamp was in the big box like yours and had one of the 24" long clamps in
it. Each box had it's own shipping invoice with the clamp cost, rebate

and
shipping cost. Some cost the same, some didn't!

Forgot all about it, so just checked: Five separate shipments - two shipped
today, one scheduled to ship on next Tuesday, and two on next Wednesday.

Hmmm ... Barry's order must of have depleted their stock.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Swingman wrote:

Hmmm ... Barry's order must of have depleted their stock.

You snooze, you lose... G

I only ordered TEN!

FWIW, they're coming in TEN shipments.

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...

place my 5 clamp order into 5 separate boxes? Wouldn't that cost them
more than putting them together? 4 of the clamps are 80+ inches and are
shipping via UPS Ground. Even the little 24" clamp is shipping by its
lonesome.

Well, I got five of my clamps today.. each packed individually. One was
basically "shrinkwrapped" in light cardboard. The other 4 were packed
in huge boxes (individually) the boxes were about 36" long, 16" wide
and 12" high. When I came home, my wife said: HOW MANY CLAMPS DID YOU
ORDER? Which was reasonable, since each box could've held at least 20
clamps. LOL.

What a waste. I got 8 of my 10 clamps today. Each came individually boxed
in the large size box as you describe. I only orderd 31's and 24's. Took
me fricken forever to pop all the damn bubble wrap to get it into my
dumpster. The interesting thing is, they just threw the clamp in there and
then put all the bubble wrap on top....so the clamp wasn't even protected
underneath. A damn waste of cardboard etc... in my opinion. They could
have easily wrapped all 10 clamps up and shipped them in a single box.
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , James \"Cubby\"
Culbertson wrote:

They could
have easily wrapped all 10 clamps up and shipped them in a single box.

But the weight... What worker safety regs are they working under? What
will the carrier accept?

10 Besseys in a box might require two people or a lift.

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
In article , James \"Cubby\"
Culbertson wrote:

They could
have easily wrapped all 10 clamps up and shipped them in a single box.

But the weight... What worker safety regs are they working under? What
will the carrier accept?

10 Besseys in a box might require two people or a lift.

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

They certainly could have put more than one in a box, weight wise. I've
ordered items from them before that are certainly heavier than 2 or 3 clamps
and they came packaged in a box (ie. not a crate/pallet) so they have some
way of moving heavier boxes around. The UPS guy commented as well when he
delivered them that it sure was ridiculous but Amazon has that reputation
for using way too much packaging. I did write to Amazon to let them know
it was a ridiculous way of packaging these clamps. They gave me a $10
credit so I guess there was some good from it....oh, and I got 10 clamps for
a pretty good price.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Dave Balderstone wrote:

10 Besseys in a box might require two people or a lift.

Maybe, but 2, 3, or 4 in a box would probably be fine for most sizes.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall

I just was notified that my 5 clamps shipped. All 5 shipped on 2-18.
each clamp has a separate tracking number. 2 were shipped by FedEx Home
Delivery - one is scheduled to arrive on 2-22 and the other not until
3-3. The other 3 were shipped by UPS Groundwith one scheduled to arrive
on 2-22 and the other 2 on 3-3. Seems rather strange all around to me
that they all ship on the same day but each shipper has different
arrival dates on different parts of their share of the delivery. But
the shipping was free so I guess I don't much care if it comes in one
big box from one shipping company or in 5 boxes from 2 different
companies on various dates.

Dave Hall

Posted to rec.woodworking
Beezlebub

In article .com,
"Dave Hall" wrote:

I just was notified that my 5 clamps shipped. All 5 shipped on 2-18.
each clamp has a separate tracking number. 2 were shipped by FedEx Home
Delivery - one is scheduled to arrive on 2-22 and the other not until
3-3. The other 3 were shipped by UPS Groundwith one scheduled to arrive
on 2-22 and the other 2 on 3-3.

They probably shipped from different warehouses, hence the different
arrival dates and shippers (being free shipping, they ship "best way",
meaning whatever shipper has a truck at the door gets the package).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall

Beezlebub wrote:
In article .com,
"Dave Hall" wrote:

I just was notified that my 5 clamps shipped. All 5 shipped on 2-18.
each clamp has a separate tracking number. 2 were shipped by FedEx Home
Delivery - one is scheduled to arrive on 2-22 and the other not until
3-3. The other 3 were shipped by UPS Groundwith one scheduled to arrive
on 2-22 and the other 2 on 3-3.

They probably shipped from different warehouses, hence the different
arrival dates and shippers (being free shipping, they ship "best way",
meaning whatever shipper has a truck at the door gets the package).

2 31" clamps were shipped the same date and time to two different
shippers. 2 of 3 24" shipped with one company and the other 24" shipped
with a different shipper on the same date and time. All 5 with
different tracking codes. Their business, I don't care.

Dave Hall

Appalling service from Amazon Timothy Murphy UK diy 10 February 3rd 06 03:58 PM
What is Amazon thinking? Yet another Amazon post Mark & Juanita Woodworking 13 December 9th 05 03:52 AM
Misleading Amazon price cuts on tools blueman Woodworking 44 September 22nd 05 05:41 PM
Plug for Amazon TWS Woodworking 7 January 2nd 05 03:49 AM
Amazon Regrets? noOne Woodworking 7 November 25th 04 06:31 PM