Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

Default Appalling service from Amazon

Has anyone noticed an extraordinary decline
in the service from Amazon?

I ordered 14 items last week,
all of which were said to be available "immediately".
I asked Amazon to "Dispatch my items as they become available",
and was told at the time they would be sent next day.
I just received email from Amazon
to say they will not be sent for a month.

It does not seem possible to communicate with a human being at Amazon;
they apparently have no phone number,
and their query system actually says that they cannot reply to queries,
but simply sends you to a (useless) FAQ.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Has anyone noticed an extraordinary decline
in the service from Amazon?

I ordered 14 items last week,
all of which were said to be available "immediately".
I asked Amazon to "Dispatch my items as they become available",
and was told at the time they would be sent next day.
I just received email from Amazon
to say they will not be sent for a month.

It does not seem possible to communicate with a human being at Amazon;
they apparently have no phone number,
and their query system actually says that they cannot reply to queries,
but simply sends you to a (useless) FAQ.

I haven't experienced anything quite that bad, but they have declined a
lot over the past 18 months - to the point where they are no longer my
preferred book/cd/dvd supplier (play.com is).

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dontcha

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Has anyone noticed an extraordinary decline
in the service from Amazon?

I ordered 14 items last week,
all of which were said to be available "immediately".
I asked Amazon to "Dispatch my items as they become available",
and was told at the time they would be sent next day.
I just received email from Amazon
to say they will not be sent for a month.

It does not seem possible to communicate with a human being at Amazon;
they apparently have no phone number,
and their query system actually says that they cannot reply to queries,
but simply sends you to a (useless) FAQ.

Google is your friend

0208 6369451
or
0800 2796620
also Reception - 0208 6369200;
Fax: 0208 6369401 & 0800 2796630

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Has anyone noticed an extraordinary decline
in the service from Amazon?

No. Try posting somewhere more appropriate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Has anyone noticed an extraordinary decline
in the service from Amazon?

No. Try posting somewhere more appropriate.

It's no less appropriate than posts about plumbworld or screwfix.

MBQ

[hint: Amazon sell DIY books and tools]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:28:41 +0000, Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Has anyone noticed an extraordinary decline
in the service from Amazon?
No. Try posting somewhere more appropriate.

It's no less appropriate than posts about plumbworld or screwfix.
[hint: Amazon sell DIY books and tools]

Well! I didn't know that.

Well, considering Amazon sell DIY books (or so I should believe) - a
bit more on topic than that religious chat plauging this and other
groups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

Dontcha wrote:

It does not seem possible to communicate with a human being at Amazon;
they apparently have no phone number,
and their query system actually says that they cannot reply to queries,
but simply sends you to a (useless) FAQ.

Google is your friend

0208 6369451
or
0800 2796620
also Reception - 0208 6369200;
Fax: 0208 6369401 & 0800 2796630

Thanks very much.

You have proved to me that even the most OT topic
is not too OT for uk.d-i-y !

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

Dontcha wrote:

I ordered 14 items last week,
all of which were said to be available "immediately".
I asked Amazon to "Dispatch my items as they become available",
and was told at the time they would be sent next day.
I just received email from Amazon
to say they will not be sent for a month.

It does not seem possible to communicate with a human being at Amazon;
they apparently have no phone number,
and their query system actually says that they cannot reply to queries,
but simply sends you to a (useless) FAQ.

Google is your friend

0208 6369451
or
0800 2796620
also Reception - 0208 6369200;
Fax: 0208 6369401 & 0800 2796630

Thank you again.
I managed to contact Amazon at 044208 6369200
and after a reasonably short delay (3 minutes)
got through to a real and pleasant human (female).

She told me that the goods had actually been dispatched
but by Deutsche Post.
The delivery date given by Amazon was
(according to her) wrong.
I shall discover shortly who is right.

So it appears that Amazon uses Deutsche Post
to dispatch some goods, at least to Ireland.
(Two of the items I asked for are coming direct from the UK.)

I've been a pretty good customer of Amazon in the past,
but won't be using them any more.