Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Way skirts question for Iggy

Ig, the other day, I replace the front and rear way covers on my r2e4,
because they were cracked.

I selected 1/16" neoprene, medium soft, and the rear one snagged under the
lead screw covers -- and tore.

I can't see any significant difference between my cover and the one that
came off, except perhaps that the old one is a tiny bit (0.010") thicker,
and just a little stiffer.

Your base casting is almost identical to mine. Did you use the flexible
skirts on yours (or not change them), or did you install bellows covers?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ig, the other day, I replace the front and rear way covers on my r2e4,
because they were cracked.

I selected 1/16" neoprene, medium soft, and the rear one snagged under the
lead screw covers -- and tore.

Maybe you could use thicker neoprene, I think that I use 1/8"
rubber. I think that coolant can damage neoprene.

I can't see any significant difference between my cover and the one
that came off, except perhaps that the old one is a tiny bit
(0.010") thicker, and just a little stiffer.

Your base casting is almost identical to mine. Did you use the flexible
skirts on yours (or not change them), or did you install bellows covers?

I changed one cover only, the one between the knee and the column.

There, I just used a sheet of rubber. At least I think that it is
rubber, I was given these sheets by Mike Henry and I think that he
told me that the harder ones were rubber and the softer ones were
neoprene. I can take a picture if you want. So far it seems to work
fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13782 fired this volley in
:

Maybe you could use thicker neoprene, I think that I use 1/8"
rubber. I think that coolant can damage neoprene.

"They" say that neoprene is oil resistant, but I didn't check on
vegetable oil! duh

I think the softness and thin-ness combined were responsible. A stiffer,
thicker skirt could not have gotten pinched like that.

Expensive lesson, it was. That darned stuff was almost $50. It lasted
two hours.

Not as expensive as crashing bits, though. I've taken to wax-proofing
all my parts on the first run of some new code.

LLoyd

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13782 fired this volley in
:

Maybe you could use thicker neoprene, I think that I use 1/8"
rubber. I think that coolant can damage neoprene.

OH!

I have a quandry. I have absolutely NO programming information on the
Boss-9 extended codes. I'm good up to 89, but there are some 70s codes
and a lot of them over G100. Although I've seen a few sample code
snippets using them, so far they don't produce the part expected.

Am I stuck with RS-274 codes, only?

Anybody got a programming tutorial that explains the Bridgeport Boss-9
extended codes? The only Series I programming manual I can find stops at
Boss-8, and the G170s aren't in there.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus13782 fired this volley in
:

Maybe you could use thicker neoprene, I think that I use 1/8"
rubber. I think that coolant can damage neoprene.

"They" say that neoprene is oil resistant, but I didn't check on
vegetable oil! duh

I think the softness and thin-ness combined were responsible. A stiffer,
thicker skirt could not have gotten pinched like that.

Might also be the way it folds and unfolds as the table moves.

Expensive lesson, it was. That darned stuff was almost $50. It lasted
two hours.

Sux!

Not as expensive as crashing bits, though. I've taken to wax-proofing
all my parts on the first run of some new code.

Whet EMC2 gives me in this regard is toolpath preview, it helps quite
a bit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[ ... ]

I have a quandry. I have absolutely NO programming information on the
Boss-9 extended codes. I'm good up to 89, but there are some 70s codes
and a lot of them over G100. Although I've seen a few sample code
snippets using them, so far they don't produce the part expected.

Am I stuck with RS-274 codes, only?

Anybody got a programming tutorial that explains the Bridgeport Boss-9
extended codes? The only Series I programming manual I can find stops at
Boss-8, and the G170s aren't in there.

I think that the BOSS-8 *may* still be using stepper motors as
did the BOSS-3 through BOSS-6 and that was controlled by a LSI-11 CPU.
(And yes, that was properly spelled with all upper case -- an acronym
for "Bridgeport Operations System Software" according to the early
manuals.

When they moved to servos they must have had to change the CPU,
and probably had the ability (and experience by then) to add lots of
extra features.

I wonder whether Iggy's collection of scanned Bridgeport manuals
includes the programming of the BOSS-9.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

I wonder whether Iggy's collection of scanned Bridgeport manuals
includes the programming of the BOSS-9.

No. His collection came from the same sources as my first pass on
finding them. Some are incomplete. Some are only two to four pages from
100. All are for earlier machines than mine.

Excepting that my boards are a bit newer than the schematics I have, I do
have a pretty complete collection of .pdf and original Bridgeport BOSS-9
R2E4 Series I literature. But I do NOT have the "programming" manual. I
found one _called_ that on .pdf, and it turned out the be the Users'
Manual -- not the same.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus13782 fired this volley in
:

Maybe you could use thicker neoprene, I think that I use 1/8"
rubber. I think that coolant can damage neoprene.

"They" say that neoprene is oil resistant, but I didn't check on
vegetable oil! duh

I think the softness and thin-ness combined were responsible. A stiffer,
thicker skirt could not have gotten pinched like that.

Might also be the way it folds and unfolds as the table moves.

Expensive lesson, it was. That darned stuff was almost $50. It lasted
two hours.

Sux!

Not as expensive as crashing bits, though. I've taken to wax-proofing
all my parts on the first run of some new code.

Whet EMC2 gives me in this regard is toolpath preview, it helps quite
a bit.

Dry runs over the part with Z inhibit on are a good idea as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
I think that the BOSS-8 *may* still be using stepper motors as
did the BOSS-3 through BOSS-6 and that was controlled by a LSI-11 CPU.
(And yes, that was properly spelled with all upper case -- an acronym
for "Bridgeport Operations System Software" according to the early
manuals.

When they moved to servos they must have had to change the CPU,
and probably had the ability (and experience by then) to add lots of
extra features.

No, the BOSS 8 is also a servo machine, and uses a Motorola 68000 CPU.
Really, a totally different system, with a CRT instead of a row of LED
displays. I think that is true of the BOSS 7 as well.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-07, Jon Elson wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
I think that the BOSS-8 *may* still be using stepper motors as
did the BOSS-3 through BOSS-6 and that was controlled by a LSI-11 CPU.
(And yes, that was properly spelled with all upper case -- an acronym
for "Bridgeport Operations System Software" according to the early
manuals.

When they moved to servos they must have had to change the CPU,
and probably had the ability (and experience by then) to add lots of
extra features.

No, the BOSS 8 is also a servo machine, and uses a Motorola 68000 CPU.
Really, a totally different system, with a CRT instead of a row of LED
displays. I think that is true of the BOSS 7 as well.

O.K. Thanks. I knew that at least the BOSS-6 was still
stepper, but had no idea about when the transition to servos was.

And I like the Motorola 68000 series of CPUs, so I think that
would be a nice one to have.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Question for Iggy Steve Lusardi Metalworking 24 December 4th 10 01:06 AM
deck skirts Smitty Two Home Repair 19 August 10th 10 10:16 PM
OT Question for Iggy Carl Ijames[_2_] Metalworking 24 September 7th 09 11:44 PM
Oak Skirts and Archetrave - fixings etc just typed in a load of text and thought it would UK diy 0 November 30th 05 05:33 PM