Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13782 Ignoramus13782 is offline

Default Way skirts question for Iggy

On 2010-12-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ig, the other day, I replace the front and rear way covers on my r2e4,
because they were cracked.

I selected 1/16" neoprene, medium soft, and the rear one snagged under the
lead screw covers -- and tore.

Maybe you could use thicker neoprene, I think that I use 1/8"
rubber. I think that coolant can damage neoprene.

I can't see any significant difference between my cover and the one
that came off, except perhaps that the old one is a tiny bit
(0.010") thicker, and just a little stiffer.

Your base casting is almost identical to mine. Did you use the flexible
skirts on yours (or not change them), or did you install bellows covers?

I changed one cover only, the one between the knee and the column.

There, I just used a sheet of rubber. At least I think that it is
rubber, I was given these sheets by Mike Henry and I think that he
told me that the harder ones were rubber and the softer ones were
neoprene. I can take a picture if you want. So far it seems to work
fine.