Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Way skirts question for Iggy

On 2010-12-07, Jon Elson wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
I think that the BOSS-8 *may* still be using stepper motors as
did the BOSS-3 through BOSS-6 and that was controlled by a LSI-11 CPU.
(And yes, that was properly spelled with all upper case -- an acronym
for "Bridgeport Operations System Software" according to the early
manuals.

When they moved to servos they must have had to change the CPU,
and probably had the ability (and experience by then) to add lots of
extra features.

No, the BOSS 8 is also a servo machine, and uses a Motorola 68000 CPU.
Really, a totally different system, with a CRT instead of a row of LED
displays. I think that is true of the BOSS 7 as well.

O.K. Thanks. I knew that at least the BOSS-6 was still
stepper, but had no idea about when the transition to servos was.

And I like the Motorola 68000 series of CPUs, so I think that
would be a nice one to have.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564