Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default You're all idiots

I used to have a lot of respect for the knowledge of the people in this
newsgroup. However the recent discussion of safety chains, and the
inability of the whole lot of you to figure out how to shorten one
without a huge amount of sturm und drang, and the abuse that you have
heaped upon me over the method that I showed, that I learned from my
father who sailed before the mast back when that meant literally
sailing, and who learned to do such things in the school of hard knocks
known at the "Seabees" during WWII, and which any competent engineer
would be able to tell you is structurally sound, has revealed to me that
you're all blithering idiots who talk a good game but don't have a lick
of common sense between you.

I can't believe that you bunch of IDIOTs can't figure out how to shorten
a damned chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mr. Clarke,
You are confusing me. You criticize the group for not possessing the knowledge to shorten a chain and yet you obviously do not
know, because you asked the question. Sounds like a very good case of self criticism for a task that is rather simple. Did you
expect the group to do your measurements, determine the type and location of the attachment points and pull the correct length out
of our ass?
Steve

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 01:25:57 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

I used to have a lot of respect for the knowledge of the people in this
newsgroup. However the recent discussion of safety chains, and the
inability of the whole lot of you to figure out how to shorten one
without a huge amount of sturm und drang, and the abuse that you have
heaped upon me over the method that I showed, that I learned from my
father who sailed before the mast back when that meant literally
sailing, and who learned to do such things in the school of hard knocks
known at the "Seabees" during WWII, and which any competent engineer
would be able to tell you is structurally sound, has revealed to me that
you're all blithering idiots who talk a good game but don't have a lick
of common sense between you.

I can't believe that you bunch of IDIOTs can't figure out how to shorten
a damned chain.

I usually use a torch if the chain is too big for my bolt cutters.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:54:04 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

when you see a message cross posted to "survivalism", it means idiots and
abuse

Odd..I seldom see you on misc.survivalism. But when you do...I
agree..idiot and abuse.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
ain.local...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Or if it's a G70 chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 19, 2:00*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Mr. Clarke,
You are confusing me. You criticize the group for not possessing the knowledge to shorten a chain and yet you obviously do not
know, because you asked the question. Sounds like a very good case of self criticism for a task that is rather simple. Did you
expect the group to do your measurements, determine the type and location of the attachment points and pull the correct length out
of our ass?
Steve

Mr. Clarke did NOT ask the question. He did, however, post a pretty
good answer. With pictures.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I once cut one with a Dremel. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Your attempt to post an intelligent reply has failed Steve L.

It wasn't J Clarke that asked the question, but he did submit a practical,
easy method for just holding up the loose end of a chain.

Some of the dimmer responders couldn't understand why anyone would want to
shorten a chain, and/or, would rather twist the chain to shorten it, or
would tie knots in a chain to shorten it.

Explanations are often worthless.

--
WB

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Mr. Clarke,
You are confusing me. You criticize the group for not possessing the
knowledge to shorten a chain and yet you obviously do not know, because
you asked the question. Sounds like a very good case of self criticism for
a task that is rather simple. Did you expect the group to do your
measurements, determine the type and location of the attachment points and
pull the correct length out of our ass?
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
I used to have a lot of respect for the knowledge of the people in this
newsgroup. However the recent discussion of safety chains, and the
inability of the whole lot of you to figure out how to shorten one
without a huge amount of sturm und drang, and the abuse that you have
heaped upon me over the method that I showed, that I learned from my
father who sailed before the mast back when that meant literally
sailing, and who learned to do such things in the school of hard knocks
known at the "Seabees" during WWII, and which any competent engineer
would be able to tell you is structurally sound, has revealed to me that
you're all blithering idiots who talk a good game but don't have a lick
of common sense between you.

I can't believe that you bunch of IDIOTs can't figure out how to shorten
a damned chain.

Don't know about you, but mine came from about twenty years of actually
working with them. You shorten a chain by cutting it. If you want to
safely join two sections together, you use a twin clevis link.

Then there's limitations on what you can use that altered chain for
according to OSHA and OPI standards, but that's another discussion.

Sorry your information is all second hand from your Dad, and does not come
from your own experience. That must suck. For me, it came from being a
several time OSHA certified rigger, Offshore Petroleum Institute rigger,
certified crane operator, certified hard hat diver, two years as a diver
tender, and just allaround grunt, worm, and weevil who rigged up a lot of
miles of chain for lifts.

Steve, just another uneducated ****wad, but if you want to lift something
safely, call me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

****, Gunner. Coffee on the monitor. Again! ROTFLMAO, but THE answer to
the man's question.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I got a set of 4' long Made in USA bolt cutters, and I've even used them
with a cheater pipe to cut some things. But then, they won't cut
EVERYTHING, and it's smoke wrench time.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 01:25:57 -0400
I used to have a lot of respect for the knowledge of the people in this
newsgroup. However the recent discussion of safety chains, and the
inability of the whole lot of you to figure out how to shorten one
without a huge amount of sturm und drang, and the abuse that you have
heaped upon me over the method that I showed, that I learned from my
father who sailed before the mast back when that meant literally
sailing, and who learned to do such things in the school of hard knocks
known at the "Seabees" during WWII, and which any competent engineer
would be able to tell you is structurally sound, has revealed to me that
you're all blithering idiots who talk a good game but don't have a lick
of common sense between you.

I can't believe that you bunch of IDIOTs can't figure out how to shorten
a damned chain.

Have considered the small detail that perhaps the respondents
don't know?

And that they are pointing out what they perceive as potential
problems?

I'm recalling a story of a guy who grew up in a bad neighborhood
(back before they became known as 'hoods), who had started running
when a drive by occurred. He was grabbed by an adult and "taught" the
important lesson: "Where the hell you running, boy! Don't you know
you're suppose to drop to the ground when the shooting starts?!" No,
he hadn't but he learned the lesson.
Guys tend to ask questions in a confrontational manner: If you do
it that way it will break! is similar "you know that if you do it that
way it will break!"
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Just be careful not to affect the next link.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You're addressing a group of what's left over, after a newsgroup has
deteriorated from off-topic abuse that no one wanted to address when it
started.

So, as you and many others have disccovered, the old RCM ain't what it used
to be, and you're one of many that have expressed their dissatisfaction.

Countless knowledgeable and friendly former regular participants have
realized what you have, and have moved on to find other forums where there
are others who are willing to reasonably discuss only related topics.

You could show a friend the method that you offered to RCM, and they would
probably appreciate that you had.

Some in RCM would rather tie knots in chain, or twist it to shorten it, and
feel they had accomplished something, while others in RCM will agree, since
it doesn't cost anything to use such a foolish method.. and this is what
they'll pass on to others.
Insurance companies will probably continue to cover damages and funeral
expenses, lawyers will continue to collect major fees.

Hey, wuddaya gonna do? A buddy frequently states: Take heed, and govern
yourselves accordingly.

--
WB

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
I used to have a lot of respect for the knowledge of the people in this
newsgroup. However the recent discussion of safety chains, and the
inability of the whole lot of you to figure out how to shorten one
without a huge amount of sturm und drang, and the abuse that you have
heaped upon me over the method that I showed, that I learned from my
father who sailed before the mast back when that meant literally
sailing, and who learned to do such things in the school of hard knocks
known at the "Seabees" during WWII, and which any competent engineer
would be able to tell you is structurally sound, has revealed to me that
you're all blithering idiots who talk a good game but don't have a lick
of common sense between you.

I can't believe that you bunch of IDIOTs can't figure out how to shorten
a damned chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote

It wasn't J Clarke that asked the question, but he did submit a practical,
easy method for just holding up the loose end of a chain.

What reason is there to hold up the loose end of a chain? What purpose does
this loose end have except to drag, and offer another place to catch highway
debris? Mr. Clarke just showed his depth of knowledge on how to do
something unsafe. If a chain is too long, cut it off! If it needs to be
lengthened for another vehicle or tow configuration, put it back on SAFELY
with a twin clevis.

Sheesh.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
You're addressing a group of what's left over, after a newsgroup has
deteriorated from off-topic abuse that no one wanted to address when it
started.

So, as you and many others have disccovered, the old RCM ain't what it
used to be, and you're one of many that have expressed their
dissatisfaction.

Countless knowledgeable and friendly former regular participants have
realized what you have, and have moved on to find other forums where there
are others who are willing to reasonably discuss only related topics.

And then, there's always the slant that there are still some people here who
DO know what they are talking about, and then, there's REALITY, where right
is just plain right.

Reality is nature's way of keeping things straight. When you rig something
up wrong, it can work. And when you rig something up right, it can fail.
We're just talking about how to do it right. What works is all over the
map. It is not the fault of the group that a person would rather trust
their Dad's opinion, and dis a lot of people who have actually BTDT, and has
the attitude of , "Well, this is the way I do it, and it works for me."

There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle, but it all tastes like chicken.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote

It wasn't J Clarke that asked the question, but he did submit a
practical, easy method for just holding up the loose end of a chain.

What reason is there to hold up the loose end of a chain? What purpose
does this loose end have except to drag, and offer another place to catch
highway debris? Mr. Clarke just showed his depth of knowledge on how to
do something unsafe. If a chain is too long, cut it off! If it needs to
be lengthened for another vehicle or tow configuration, put it back on
SAFELY with a twin clevis.

Sheesh.

Steve

In what way is Mr Clarke's method unsafe? Look at a picture....get a clue!
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle, but it all tastes like chicken.

Nah. Dog doesn't taste anything like chicken - it's a lot more like buffalo,
but gamier.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you have to have your ignorance pointed out to you, Steve B, then allow
me.

A trailer with shortened chains may only be of use with one particular
vehicle.

Whoever told you that there is no such thing as a dumb question, lied to
you.

Sheesh yourself moron. So ****in hellbent on defending a flawed point (like
so many others here ie: the Gummer syndrome), you just can't help yourself.

--
WB

"Steve B" wrote in message

What reason is there to hold up the loose end of a chain? What purpose
does this loose end have except to drag, and offer another place to catch
highway debris? Mr. Clarke just showed his depth of knowledge on how to
do something unsafe. If a chain is too long, cut it off! If it needs to
be lengthened for another vehicle or tow configuration, put it back on
SAFELY with a twin clevis.

Sheesh.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I read the replies from those that seem to think they know what they're
talking about..

when in REALITY, they can't understand a clear explanation, or even a simple
picture when it's provided for them.

Replies like that cheap carabiner will break, jumping to the conclusion that
J Clarke was actually suggesting that the trailer load could be secured with
the cheap carabiners.
You stupid, misguided fucwit.

Up there on your high horse, Steve B, and others, you'll take exception with
someone that has provided A safe, reliable and inexpensive solution.

I didn't say his method was THE solution, I stated that it was practical.

Did you not see the replies regarding tying knots in chains (and twisting
them to shorten them), or maybe you're just selective of who you will take
the time to try to strike up an argument with.

Doesn't matter to me, couldn't give a FRA.. I only read your posted
questions because they're ridiculously funny.

--
WB

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote

A trailer with shortened chains may only be of use with one particular
vehicle.

So, you add a twin clevis and lengthen the chain for the other vehicle(s),
or leave it a little long on the short chained trailer, but not so long that
they drag, or are unsafe. Putting them on as JC proposed with an improper
use of a shackle, then a carabineer to hold the excess is not the safe OR
correct way to do it.

But then, you (and JC, and everyone else) just do whatever you want. Hey,
if it gets you there, and doesn't wipe out a car full of nuns and kids in a
station wagon, what's the foul?

I bet if you could stop 100 vehicles with trailers on any given road, a high
percentage of them would be hooked up either unsafe or incorrectly.

What particular point of my ignorance do you take issue with. You ramble so
much, you never get around to it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:08:37 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
ain.local...
[...]

Point...set and Match!!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you cant cut chain with a Blue Point Wrench without heating up the
next link...send it out to someone who can......

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Just like you. Like JC, you're not really interested in what's right, just
anything that will validate your way of doing things. So, using a shackle
improperly, and using a fifty cent caribiner to hold up a length of useless
chain is "practical". Well, maybe. There's a lot of that in the real
world.

You're done. You may go now.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 19, 2:38*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

[...]

OK, then how about a new rule: No posting from anyone who doesn't have
the credentials (and I mean REAL credentials not fantasy "experience-
based" credentials) to back it up. Your years of experience don't
count, only the letters after your name.

That ought to cut down on the noise around here.

BTW, I can see why the shackle MIGHT be a bad, or shall we say, "less
good" idea, with a straight pin bearing on a round link, but I'm not
buying that the carabiner in JC's picture is going to fail simply
under the weight of the loose end of the chain.

*** I just re-read your post and JC's. I don't understand your
objection to his use of a shackle, when you say that it would be OK to
lengthen the chain using a dual clevis, which is basically two
shackles back-to-back. I'm pleading ignorance here, and I'm not trying
to stir something up, but now you've got me curious.

There's the right way, the wrong way and, in most (or many) cases, the
"good enough" way. Say the trailer (with attached chains) was a U-Haul
rental. You're not going to cut that chain, are you?

But what do I know?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/19/2010 12:25 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

--snip whiney **** --

I can't believe that you bunch of IDIOTs can't figure out how to shorten
a damned chain.

So, are you gonna hang around and take it?

You could always go somewhere else where they will respect your
opinions/feelings/attitude.

technomaNge
--
Don't go away mad...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:55:58

Just like you. Like JC, you're not really interested in what's right, just
anything that will validate your way of doing things. So, using a shackle
improperly, and using a fifty cent caribiner to hold up a length of useless
chain is "practical".

Okay, note to self: "skip the shackle, get the dual clevis pin"
but that 50 cent carabineer to hold the extra out of the sounds
useful.
Well, maybe. There's a lot of that in the real
world.

You're done. You may go now.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No kidding! Hell, a decent welder can cut chain with a lousy
'Solid-Ox' torch without damaging the other links.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
[...]

Except for over extended egos. There is no safe way to move them!
;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

You're addressing a group of what's left over, after a newsgroup has
deteriorated from off-topic abuse that no one wanted to address when it
started.

Luckily, you are only speaking about yourself.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I find I use the angle grinder with a cutting blade a lot more than the
smoke wrench these days. Easier to move to the part to cut. And since I
deal a lot in aluminum, the smoke wrench is only used to heat up a thick
part before welding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
[...]

And what do you use old cable for?
http://www.cablecookhouse.com/Home_Page.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-20, Califbill wrote:
I find I use the angle grinder with a cutting blade a lot more than the
smoke wrench these days. Easier to move to the part to cut. And since I
deal a lot in aluminum, the smoke wrench is only used to heat up a thick
part before welding.

Do you cut aluminum with your angle grinder too?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
snip...
but that 50 cent carabineer to hold the extra out of the sounds
useful.

Indeed. Not only to hold the useless end of a too long chain (with which I
agree), but to give cause for idiots to find fault with a good idea. Some
of these guys would whine if they were hung with a new rope.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-20, Califbill wrote:
I find I use the angle grinder with a cutting blade a lot more than the
smoke wrench these days. Easier to move to the part to cut. And since I
deal a lot in aluminum, the smoke wrench is only used to heat up a thick
part before welding.

Do you cut aluminum with your angle grinder too?

yes. You can either buy aluminum or metal grinding disks. Difference is
the Aluminum ones have some wax imbedded to prevent loading up. the angle
grinder with a metal cutting disk works fine. I use it on small pieces, or
cutting loose some welded part I do not care for. Bigger jobs and not
precision needed I use a Sawzall. Making rack for my Kayaks out of old
extension ladders presently. Used the Sawzall to section the ladder. 18
tooth blade.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can trust that Steve B knows what he's running his yap about (by way of
keyboard).. and to add to the long list of areas he's expert in, how about a
water witcher?

He just hasn't had the time to go claim that million dollar prize for being
able to reliably detect underground water with a couple of wires, twigs etc.

Oh, and apparently there's yet another area of expertise for him..
destroying his health.

--
WB

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold & Susan Vordos" on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:47:00
GMT typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
snip...
but that 50 cent carabineer to hold the extra out of the sounds
useful.

Indeed. Not only to hold the useless end of a too long chain (with which I
agree), but to give cause for idiots to find fault with a good idea. Some
of these guys would whine if they were hung with a new rope.

Well, they are kind of scratchy. Unless you're using the nylon
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Idiots! (0/1) B a r r y Woodworking Plans and Photos 13 March 31st 08 04:31 AM
Idiots! (1/1) B a r r y Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 March 14th 08 11:00 PM
Axis of Idiots Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 November 16th 07 06:14 PM
B+Q Idiots . Stuart UK diy 21 May 8th 06 08:41 AM
Idiots!!! Ken in Canada Woodworking 52 February 20th 04 05:46 AM