Ken in Canada

Default Idiots!!!

BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

Ken in Canada (eh!)

Joe Willmann

"Ken in Canada" wrote in news:cMRXb.1440
:

BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these

porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

Ken in Canada (eh!)

I use XNews as my news reader. With just a little bit of work it is
easy to set it up so it removed all of the objectionable stuff without
me seeing it.

By the way XNews is free and available at
http://www.webattack.com/get/xnews.shtml

It is pretty easy to set up.
Doug Miller

In article , "Ken in Canada" wrote:
BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

New here, aintcha? :-)

Do a Google Groups search on rec.woodworking for the phrase "how to filter out
the crap". It gets posted every couple of weeks.

If you think it'll do any good, you might complain to Google about a couple of
things:
a) their lack of a mechanism for deleting such posts from their archives
b) their "Safe Search" filter applies only to the *contents* of the posts, and
not the *titles* -- and so it passes any post with innocuous contents no
matter how vile its title.

Perhaps if enough people complain, maybe they'll fix it someday.

Unisaw A100

Ken in Canada wrote:
BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

It's PURPLE!!!

UA100

KYHighlander

It seems that someone in the group has hurt the feelings of some small
minded person. He lists his enemies as:
Bay Area Dave
Charlie Self
Mike Patterson
Barry Burke

Evidently he resents those with more intelligence than he.
--
KY
http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Ken in Canada" wrote in message
BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

Ken in Canada (eh!)

Joseph Smith

Actually T. has been under constant attack for a while. The rest
are popular and regular posters, too. I think some one is trying to shut
down the newsgroup or make it unusable. This is one of the last "clean"
and useful NGs left, which probably explains why its under attack.

Joey in Chesapeake
"KYHighlander" wrote in message
It seems that someone in the group has hurt the feelings of some small
minded person. He lists his enemies as:
Bay Area Dave
Charlie Self
Mike Patterson
Barry Burke

Evidently he resents those with more intelligence than he.
--
KY
http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Ken in Canada" wrote in message
BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these

porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

Ken in Canada (eh!)

Bay Area Dave

hell, if he thinks he can affect the group he is NUTS! Filters prevent
most all the garbage from making it to my screen. I just checked my
filter log, which was awash with perverted posts. One could ALMOST feel
sorry for such a pathetic excuse for a human being...but then again I'm
not quite that charitable!

dave

Joseph Smith wrote:

Actually T. has been under constant attack for a while. The rest
are popular and regular posters, too. I think some one is trying to shut
down the newsgroup or make it unusable. This is one of the last "clean"
and useful NGs left, which probably explains why its under attack.

Joey in Chesapeake
"KYHighlander" wrote in message

It seems that someone in the group has hurt the feelings of some small
minded person. He lists his enemies as:
Bay Area Dave
Charlie Self
Mike Patterson
Barry Burke

Evidently he resents those with more intelligence than he.
--
KY
http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Ken in Canada" wrote in message
. ..

BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these

porn

crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

Ken in Canada (eh!)

BM Cooper

On 2/15/04 3:43 PM, in article ,
"Ken in Canada" wrote:

Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

How about a moderator? JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!! (Couldn't resist after
recent posts etc.)

Doug Miller

In article , BM Cooper wrote:
On 2/15/04 3:43 PM, in article ,
"Ken in Canada" wrote:

Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

How about a moderator? JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!! (Couldn't resist after
recent posts etc.)

No, no, I really think we should. I nominate a committee:
Steve Strickland
Ed Bennett
Woodworker Joe
Dennis O'Connor
Bay Area Dave
myself

That should keep things interesting!

--
Regards,

Mark & Juanita

In article , kimv4266
@sympatico.ca says...
BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these porn
crap headers?

Some small-minded deranged idiot in search of attention. Either a
pre-pubescent school-yard bully or else some really sad adult with a
mental disability who does this kind of thing for the attention it
garners. Which is why ignoring it is so effective, it's just like that
annoying disrupter in grade- or high-school, when it was ignored, it
stopped disrupting because it wasn't getting what it wanted.

If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

Ken in Canada (eh!)

Depends on your newsreader, most have means of setting filters --
since this subhuman slimeball is using patently offensive language, the
filters should be pretty straigth-forward.

Whoo-hoo! I just figured out how to make Gravity filter subject lines!
I edited the "Ignore the spam!" rule under the Tools - Rules option and
can now add words to ignore and mark those articles as read. Lots more
options, too.

Bay Area Dave

I decline the invitation...

dave

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , BM Cooper wrote:

On 2/15/04 3:43 PM, in article ,
"Ken in Canada" wrote:

Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

How about a moderator? JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!! (Couldn't resist after
recent posts etc.)

No, no, I really think we should. I nominate a committee:
Steve Strickland
Ed Bennett
Woodworker Joe
Dennis O'Connor
Bay Area Dave
myself

That should keep things interesting!

--
Regards,

John Doe

"Ken in Canada" wrote

BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

Beware.

If you are not savvy enough to do your own research, the least you can
do is stay calm.

Here is one way a malicious troll takes advantage of a group which
includes a few tough guys.

....The malicious troll riles the group. He (or she) posts tens or
hundreds of vile garbage of whatever sort. ...A group tough guy steps
forward and says "I've had enough! Who is the perpetrator?!" ...The
malicious troll (or accomplice) poses as a friend of the group and
begins to frame one of his enemies. (How would you know who they are is
since you probably have never even looked at a Usenet post header.)
....You just have to know who it is. So he tells you, including their
name, telephone, and address. ...Some of you take the bait and harass
the malicious troll's enemy.

That happened to another group.

FWIW.

If you are technically helpless, you are out of luck. You just have to
sit back and let it pass.

The only way I know of to help stop such things, besides e-mailing their
ISP, is to reply including their complete header information. That gives
those of us who enjoy research something to find when some other
malicious troll is at work. Most trolls either post X-No-Archive or
cancel their posts later. The reply makes a permanent, Google Usenet
archive searchable record.

Besides Google, there are other, private Usenet archives which ignore
X-No-Archive and cancel requests. Illegal stuff is delt with by
authorities, but civil stuff has to be delt with (legally) by us users.

Ken in Canada (eh!)

From: "Ken in Canada"
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Idiots!!!
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:43:41 -0500

Bridger

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:19:11 -0600, BM Cooper
wrote:

On 2/15/04 3:43 PM, in article ,
"Ken in Canada" wrote:

Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

How about a moderator? JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!! (Couldn't resist after
recent posts etc.)

a better solution would be to split the group into rec.woodworking and
rec.woodworking.trolls.....

GD&R
Unisaw A100

Bridger wrote:
a better solution would be to split the group into rec.woodworking and
rec.woodworking.trolls.....

"Everybody" knows how stoopid this would be. A better
solution would be:

rec.woodworking
rec.woodworking.trolls

and,

rec.woodworking.PURPLE!!!

UA100

Han

Joe Willmann wrote in
6:

I use XNews as my news reader. With just a little bit of work it is
easy to set it up so it removed all of the objectionable stuff without
me seeing it.

I use Xnews too, but I haven't figured out what you did exactly. Could you
please post how to make Xnews block those posts?

--
Best regards
Han
Norman D. Crow

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
No, no, I really think we should. I nominate a committee:
Steve Strickland
Ed Bennett
Woodworker Joe
Dennis O'Connor
Bay Area Dave
myself

That should keep things interesting!

Is this going to be a *new* group . . "wreckmoderator.fight"?

Posting by the moderators only, but can be read by all, watch the committee
make the decisions about which posts shall be seen on the wreck?

Sounds good to me, we can advertise it as the latest in Usenet
humor/irony/satire!!!!

(R,D,&G)

--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

---

Joe Willmann

Han wrote in
:

Joe Willmann wrote in
6:

I use XNews as my news reader. With just a little bit of work it is
easy to set it up so it removed all of the objectionable stuff
without me seeing it.

I use Xnews too, but I haven't figured out what you did exactly.
Could you please post how to make Xnews block those posts?

XNews uses the "Score File" to do things like this. What you want to do
is set up a scroe file entry so that the objectionable posts are killed.
Score files work on words that are in the message header.

Step 1
Select one of the objectionable posts. Pick one that has an
objectionable word in the title, like penis.

Step 2
Using the menu select Article-Add to Score File.

Step 3
The dialog is divided into groups numbered 1 through 5 and there is a
6th unnumberd one at the bottom.

In 1 Existing Section should be selected and ^\rec\.woodworking should
be in the list. I haven't a clue as to what the special carachters
mean.

In Section 2, Score Value, select Kill

In Section 3 Expires in: select never expire

In Section 4 I used the Subject field. Push the Subject button. The
rest of the line becomes un-grayed. The right hand field should have
the subject the article had. Edit it so that only the word Penis is
present. It ignores case so upper or lower will work fine.

Ignore the rest of section 4 and 5.

Check the box "Rescore on Apply"

Push the apply button.

The Add to score file dialog will go away and return you to the news
group. All of the messages in the group with the word penis in the
subject will now be marked for killing.

The marked articles are still shown to you because this will be your
only way to "test" things. When the news group is closed and re-opened
they will just be gone.

I had not had to any score file stuff before but when we got flooded
last week I went to the help menu and started reading. You can get a
lot fancier with scroring but for now I just went through and repeated
the process about 5 times with different words and they all went away.
I haven't seen any since.

Another way to do the same thing is to use the Special-Edit Score file
command.

I could send you, or post a copy of my score file. You could then save
or paste mine into your scroe file and your settings would be the same
as mine. I wont do that right now because it would require posting all
of thos objectionable words. It is also good for you to learn how to
add things through the reqular user inteface.

One of the good things scoring does is it allows you to make certain
posters or threads as interesting. Then when a message from one of them
comes in it is brought to your attention.

I hope this helped.
Doug Miller

In article , Joe Willmann wrote:

In 1 Existing Section should be selected and ^\rec\.woodworking should
be in the list. I haven't a clue as to what the special carachters
mean.

^ means "begins with"

\ means read the next character as literally what it is, rather than as having
any special meaning. In regular-expression syntax, dot means "match any
character"; backslash-dot means "just a dot".

--
Regards,
Han

Joe Willmann wrote in
.17:

Thanks Joe!

--
Best regards
Han

Jerry Gilreath

How do you make the "begins with" character? I've always wondered that.

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Joe

Willmann wrote:

In 1 Existing Section should be selected and ^\rec\.woodworking should
be in the list. I haven't a clue as to what the special carachters
mean.

^ means "begins with"

\ means read the next character as literally what it is, rather than as

having
any special meaning. In regular-expression syntax, dot means "match any
character"; backslash-dot means "just a dot".

--
Regards,

Robert Bonomi

In article mM6Yb.45106$_44.42761@attbi_s52,
Jerry Gilreath wrote:
How do you make the "begins with" character? I've always wondered that.

On "U.S. ENGLISH" style keyboards it's "shift 6"

Ditto with the layout for several European Languages.

Can't guarantee where it is on _your_ keyboard, however. grin

Jerry Gilreath

Well, ****! I just looked at another keyboard and there it is for the world
to see!!! Most of the letters and numbers are worn off this one. Guess it's
time to make a trip and get me a new one! Color me red!!!

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
Jerry© The Phoneman®
rvers.com...
Jerry Gilreath wrote:
How do you make the "begins with" character? I've always wondered that.

On "U.S. ENGLISH" style keyboards it's "shift 6"

Ditto with the layout for several European Languages.

Can't guarantee where it is on _your_ keyboard, however. grin

Silvan

Ken in Canada wrote:

BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

No. Not unless we find him and kill him. No amount of abuse reporting etc.
will get rid of him, because he always finds some new server somewhere
eventually. He has evidently changed ISPs at least twice as well. All
this for the express purpose of annoying this group. He really needs to
get a life. Maybe someone should teach him how to masturbate or something,
so he has a better way to spend his time.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Bob S.

I feel sorry for this poor *******. Living a life where his only outlet is
this newsgroup thinking he's really getting to somebody when all's he's
doing is showing what an imbecile he is. But then again - maybe he isn't the
imbecile we think he is and really is a truly intelligent -- asshole.

Bob S.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Bob S.
wrote:

But then again - maybe he isn't the
imbecile we think he is and really is a truly intelligent -- asshole.

Betcha he's a member of Mensa...

;-)

--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?
Bay Area Dave

oh, kinda like YOU?? (I couldn't resist, Doug!)

But now I have an explanation for your superior attitude. Have you ever
entered a conversation on ANY topic that you didn't know more about than
anyone you've met?

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

snip

Could be... I used to be. Maybe it's different in other cities, but most of
the people I met in Mensa were losers. Highly intelligent, but still losers.
Many lack the ability to interact successfully with others.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
oh, kinda like YOU?? (I couldn't resist, Doug!)

But now I have an explanation for your superior attitude. Have you ever
entered a conversation on ANY topic that you didn't know more about than
anyone you've met?

It's really too bad that you envy me so much that the only way you can build
yourself up is by tearing me down.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...
Could be... I used to be. Maybe it's different in other cities, but most of
the people I met in Mensa were losers. Highly intelligent, but still losers.
Many lack the ability to interact successfully with others.

I don't think that's limited to Mensa members. It seems to be a
predominant trait that goes with high intelligence. I'm
supposedly a genius, but my social skills vary from slim to
none. And the same applies to all the other folks I know with
high IQs - and I don't know any who are Mensa members.

To an extent, I suppose I agree with you -- but it seems to me that many of
the people I know at church are at least as bright as the ones I met through
Mensa. And the ones at church are almost without exception more sociable, and
more successful, than most of the Mensans. IMO, Mensa tends to attract those
whose lack of social skills makes them ill-suited for socializing in other
fora.

FWIW, Mensa isn't anywhere nearly as selective as many people believe it to
be. The *sole* criterion for eligibility is to score at or above the 98th
percentile, just once, on any of about twenty standardized tests that they
accept as qualifiers. As such, about one person in fifty is eligible.

--
Regards,
Doug Miller

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
Doug, don't be so serious all the time. I was jerking your chain.
couldn't you tell by the "I couldn't resist..." comment?

And I was jerking your chain, Dave. Guess I should've put a smiley on it, huh?

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Bay Area Dave

wrote:

oh, kinda like YOU?? (I couldn't resist, Doug!)

But now I have an explanation for your superior attitude. Have you ever
entered a conversation on ANY topic that you didn't know more about than
anyone you've met?

It's really too bad that you envy me so much that the only way you can build
yourself up is by tearing me down.

--
Regards,

Regards,
Doug Miller

In article m, Tom Watson wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:57:37 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

The *sole* criterion for eligibility is to score at or above the 98th
percentile, just once, on any of about twenty standardized tests that they
accept as qualifiers. As such, about one person in fifty is eligible.

?

Not sure quite what you're questioning, so I'll address it two different ways.

Yes, that is indeed Mensa's sole criterion for eligibility. The only other
criterion for membership is the ability to pay the annual fee. See
http://www.mensa.org/info.html , about half-way down under "How do I qualify
for Mensa?".

Scoring at the 98th percentile means outscoring 98 percent of your fellows,
i.e. being in the top two percent, or one in fifty. It isn't *exactly* one in
fifty because all you have to do to be eligible is to score that high *once*.
Somebody who isn't quite that bright, but takes the test a hundred
times and happens _one_time_ to have an exceptionally good or lucky day,
qualifies. Likewise, very bright people who for whatever reason (anxiety, poor
memory, or what have you) do poorly on tests, may never qualify.

--
Regards,

Bay Area Dave

I KNEW that would be your response, too. As soon as I wrote it, I
thought, "Doug is just going to tell me he was messin' with me." Was I
right, or was I right?

So do you find it frustrating to be smarter than most of humanity? Bet
you get sick of dealing with us dummies all the time. Is your family
and friends all on the brighter side? Ever met anyone who intimidated
you with their intelligence and knowledge? Have you ever patented
anything? Do you have artistic ability also? Sure wish I had some;
I've been struggling to get that darn quilt rack pattern finished so I
can start cutting up some oak... (I managed to get this sucker on
topic, FINALLY! )

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:

Doug, don't be so serious all the time. I was jerking your chain.
couldn't you tell by the "I couldn't resist..." comment?

And I was jerking your chain, Dave. Guess I should've put a smiley on it, huh?

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Bay Area Dave

wrote:

oh, kinda like YOU?? (I couldn't resist, Doug!)

But now I have an explanation for your superior attitude. Have you ever
entered a conversation on ANY topic that you didn't know more about than
anyone you've met?

It's really too bad that you envy me so much that the only way you can build
yourself up is by tearing me down.

--
Regards,

Regards,

Dave in Fairfax

Doug Miller wrote:
Could be... I used to be. Maybe it's different in other cities, but most of
the people I met in Mensa were losers. Highly intelligent, but still losers.
Many lack the ability to interact successfully with others.

It isn't any differrent. Only decent peson I met there was a mechanic.
the rest were a waste of skin.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Doug Miller

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
I KNEW that would be your response, too. As soon as I wrote it, I
thought, "Doug is just going to tell me he was messin' with me." Was I
right, or was I right?

Wow -- you're psychic! Not among my talents, I'm afraid.

So do you find it frustrating to be smarter than most of humanity?

I was blessed with a quarter-century in a career field (computer programming)
populated largely by highly intelligent people. That has minimized the
frustrations.

Bet you get sick of dealing with us dummies all the time.

I'm bothered mostly by people who fail, or worse, refuse, to use whatever
degree of intelligence they have. I'm pretty sure that the guy I hired a few
years ago to plaster a 4x6' hole in a wall where there used to be a window
wouldn't outscore me on an IQ test. I'm _dead_certain_ that I'll never, ever,
even begin to approach his skill with a trowel.

Is your family and friends all on the brighter side?

Yes. Especially my mother (4.0 GPA in her doctorate program), my wife and
kids, and almost everyone in my wife's family. Her brother's IQ was measured
somewhere in the 180s IIRC. One of her cousins used to work for NASA as an
aerospace engineer, calculating orbital trajectories for the Apollo moon
missions; he's probably the smartest person I've ever met.

Ever met anyone who intimidated you with their intelligence and knowledge?

No. Impressed me, yes, many times. Intimidated me, never.

Have you ever patented anything?

Not yet. :-)

Do you have artistic ability also?

I wish. My older son, my wife, and most of her family have it. Her father is a
truly accomplished woodcarver. Not me. Nor am I athletically gifted; quite the
contrary, in fact, except that I can probably kick your tail at table tennis.
I play the piano with some degree of ability. My aptitudes are mainly
mechanical, logical, and mathematical.

--
Regards,
Bay Area Dave

Doug, thanks for taking the time to answer my long list of "nosy"
questions. g Not being creative is my biggest disappointment. Like
my folks I can't sing or paint, but I did have a blast playing guitar
(clumsily) in a "rock and roll" band in the 60's. We weren't well known
beyond our area, but we enjoyed the heck out of playing, even in our
somewhat inept manner.

I can see why programming would be the logical choice for someone with
above average intelligence and a great grasp of logic. I've got an
adult son who is smarter than me; guess what field he gravitated to, by
age 8?

I'm impressed by anyone who has their act together and treats everyone
well, even when things aren't going their way.

table tennis, which I always called Ping Pong. I remember playing
on a regular dining table, which was way under regulation size. Trying
to keep the ball from sailing over the far edge was tough for an
uncoordinated kid of 11. I did better with bowling, although I whacked
my left shin at the foul line more than a couple of times with the ball.
I also launched it backwards once or twice. Breaking 200 was fun when
it happened. Played on a champion Little League team one year. We won
because we practiced SEVEN days a week for the entire season. That was a
memory to last me a lifetime. I recently ran across some of the
pictures of my team and our "World Series" game that my dad took back in
'61. Scanned in to my pc so I'll have my own copies to look at "whenever".

Sheesh, this is starting to smack of "diary" material! Forgive my
rambling...

dave