John Doe

Default Idiots!!!

"Ken in Canada" wrote

BTW.... who is this idiot that keeps mucking up the group with these porn
crap headers? If i wanted to see this stuff I can go to any number of
newsgroups. Any way we can prevent or get rid of this junk?

Beware.

If you are not savvy enough to do your own research, the least you can
do is stay calm.

Here is one way a malicious troll takes advantage of a group which
includes a few tough guys.

....The malicious troll riles the group. He (or she) posts tens or
hundreds of vile garbage of whatever sort. ...A group tough guy steps
forward and says "I've had enough! Who is the perpetrator?!" ...The
malicious troll (or accomplice) poses as a friend of the group and
begins to frame one of his enemies. (How would you know who they are is
since you probably have never even looked at a Usenet post header.)
....You just have to know who it is. So he tells you, including their
name, telephone, and address. ...Some of you take the bait and harass
the malicious troll's enemy.

That happened to another group.

FWIW.

If you are technically helpless, you are out of luck. You just have to
sit back and let it pass.

The only way I know of to help stop such things, besides e-mailing their
ISP, is to reply including their complete header information. That gives
those of us who enjoy research something to find when some other
malicious troll is at work. Most trolls either post X-No-Archive or
cancel their posts later. The reply makes a permanent, Google Usenet
archive searchable record.

Besides Google, there are other, private Usenet archives which ignore
X-No-Archive and cancel requests. Illegal stuff is delt with by
authorities, but civil stuff has to be delt with (legally) by us users.

Ken in Canada (eh!)

From: "Ken in Canada"
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Idiots!!!