Doug Miller

Default Idiots!!!

In article , Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...
Could be... I used to be. Maybe it's different in other cities, but most of
the people I met in Mensa were losers. Highly intelligent, but still losers.
Many lack the ability to interact successfully with others.

I don't think that's limited to Mensa members. It seems to be a
predominant trait that goes with high intelligence. I'm
supposedly a genius, but my social skills vary from slim to
none. And the same applies to all the other folks I know with
high IQs - and I don't know any who are Mensa members.

To an extent, I suppose I agree with you -- but it seems to me that many of
the people I know at church are at least as bright as the ones I met through
Mensa. And the ones at church are almost without exception more sociable, and
more successful, than most of the Mensans. IMO, Mensa tends to attract those
whose lack of social skills makes them ill-suited for socializing in other
fora.

FWIW, Mensa isn't anywhere nearly as selective as many people believe it to
be. The *sole* criterion for eligibility is to score at or above the 98th
percentile, just once, on any of about twenty standardized tests that they
accept as qualifiers. As such, about one person in fifty is eligible.

--
Regards,