Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 45 Colt brass redux

A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. Not bad
for something I got for free.

I am really considering doing this for a living, albeit a Spartan existence.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 22:49:40 -0700, Steve B wrote:

A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. Not bad
for something I got for free.

I am really considering doing this for a living, albeit a Spartan existence.

Oh, it's possible to live on the cheap, but still enjoy creature comforts,
if you know where to dumpster-dive. ;-)

(The spartans slapt on stone beds and ate unleavened bread.)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. Not
bad for something I got for free.

I am really considering doing this for a living, albeit a Spartan
existence.

Steve

Hmm... I bought a box of 50 (unused) .380s for $18.00 the other day.
I shot them all, I guess I should save my brass.
What size brass's are worth $20 for 109?
MikeK

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. Not
bad for something I got for free.

I am really considering doing this for a living, albeit a Spartan
existence.

Steve

Hmm... I bought a box of 50 (unused) .380s for $18.00 the other day.
I shot them all, I guess I should save my brass.
What size brass's are worth $20 for 109?
MikeK

Oh! I guess that might be a 45 :-)
Duh.
MikeK

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. Not
bad for something I got for free.

I am really considering doing this for a living, albeit a Spartan
existence.

Steve

Hmm... I bought a box of 50 (unused) .380s for $18.00 the other day.
I shot them all, I guess I should save my brass.
What size brass's are worth $20 for 109?
MikeK

..45 cal. 1 3/8" long

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. Not bad
for something I got for free.

Things are still a bit crazy. Sucks looking at a 8.99 box of .380 right next to a 17.99
box purchased recently. Only a few years between them.

If you had 109 .40 S&W cases with the same headstamp and I lived in pickup range, I'd give
15 bucks tops. I think you did very well on this transaction.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

I've got many hundreds and I don't have a .40. Why the same headstamp?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. Not
bad
for something I got for free.

Things are still a bit crazy. Sucks looking at a 8.99 box of .380 right
next to a 17.99
box purchased recently. Only a few years between them.

If you had 109 .40 S&W cases with the same headstamp and I lived in pickup
range, I'd give
15 bucks tops. I think you did very well on this transaction.

Wes

Is it a full moon again? They were .45 casings, 1 3/8" long.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 8, 1:49*am, "Steve B" wrote:
A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. *Not bad
for something I got for free.

Not only not bad, but better than you should expect to do normally
(probably twice).

I am really considering doing this for a living, albeit a Spartan existence.

I'm not sure I would plan a "career" expecting people to drive to you
and pay better than new retail on a regular basis (sure it will happen
occasionally).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
On Oct 8, 1:49 am, "Steve B" wrote:
A guy came today and picked up the 109 empty brass casings for $20. Not
bad
for something I got for free.

Not only not bad, but better than you should expect to do normally
(probably twice).

I am really considering doing this for a living, albeit a Spartan
existence.

I'm not sure I would plan a "career" expecting people to drive to you
and pay better than new retail on a regular basis (sure it will happen
occasionally).

reply: Your attitude is your problem. Where did I use the word "expect"?
Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. When I buy for
resale, I look for "home runs". Those are things I know the value of, and
see the asking price of. I bought a New In Box Minn Kota 50# thrust
trolling motor for $25. I thought I could get $125 for it, and got $150. I
bought a top of the line White's metal detector for $20, and got nearly $700
for it on ebay. I bought five aluminum forklift propane tanks for $20, and
sold them yesterday for $125 for the five. I bought a Burro travel trailer
for $200 and got $4300 for it on ebay. I have a list a mile long.

Doing it for a living would be work, because that's what it is. But it is
sure fun to just skim yard sales looking for home runs, and pocketing some
bucks here and there. No taxes. No paper trail. I go to Vegas once or
twice a month on real estate business, so wife and I hit about ten yard
sales a day, and get lots of home runs, plus stuff we would normally buy. I
bought twelve 24 oz. sealed Amdro poison containers Saturday for $2 each.
They are somewhere close to $20 per at the store. I have enough ant block
for years. I'm retired, have a comfortable income stream, have an
inexpensive lifestyle, so it's just pocket cash, or goes into my cigar box
stash for when a really good deal comes along. The cigar box currently has
a little over $7k in it. I love going to Kauai, and think I might use it to
go there for a month this summer when it is hot here. I have two vacation
rentals in Vegas, and the people who have similar in Kauai will trade me up
to a month there for a week in Vegas, and at a bigger place than mine. HOME
RUN!

My attitude is take it or leave it. If you've ever been to a pawn shop, you
know those boys have stuff priced higher than retail, and I bet
occasionally, they get it. I also have the luxury of two acres. I an buy
something and let it sit for a year until a buyer comes along.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve, you and I can do it because we have the right personalities (we
stick to what we know and pay very low). Many people are not capable
and do not like the legwork.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

If you had 109 .40 S&W cases with the same headstamp and I lived in pickup
range, I'd give
15 bucks tops. I think you did very well on this transaction.

Wes
--

I've got many hundreds and I don't have a .40. Why the same headstamp?

Because different manufacturers make different cases. The most noticable thing is case
thickness at the mouth. I've noticed that Remington tends to be thin in most samples I've
worked with of many calibres.

Resize a selection of random makers and then inside neck expand. You are going to notice
a difference that equates into bullet/case tension.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus2244" wrote in message
Steve, you and I can do it because we have the right personalities (we
stick to what we know and pay very low). Many people are not capable
and do not like the legwork.

And others, because they cannot do it, deride those who can and do. I don't
do a lot of legwork. I have wanted to get out and see what I can really do
with some effort, but my list of honeydos, home improvements (current
kitchen remodel), and spats of health issues give me a fits and starts
performance.

A relative of mine works at a prime Las Vegas Strip restaurant that has a
country and western theme. He called and asked us if we knew of anywhere we
could get him some stuff. We went looking, and in less than a week made
more than $4k. They were absolutely thrilled with the stuff we came up
with, and were absolutely amazed at the Packard hubcaps, spurs, child's pony
saddle, 80 year old license plates, etc, etc, that we found, and the prices
people were selling for. We go there for dinner, and remember the places
and people we got the stuff from, and it's a neat experience. Some of them
were straight out of "American Pickers."

But, as you know, it's easy when you see something that is worth $500 and
the guy wants waaaaaaaaaaay less than that, it's almost sinful to take it.
I let the seller set the price, and may haggle downward. I NEVER lowball
anybody, offering $75 on a $500 item. Many times, they will come off with a
price that is LESS than what I have in mind.

We are a dying breed, Ig. When the rest of the planet is starving, and the
wheels are falling off society, we'll just be rolling along saying, "What?"

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:29:22 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ignoramus2244" wrote in message
m...
Steve, you and I can do it because we have the right personalities (we
stick to what we know and pay very low). Many people are not capable
and do not like the legwork.

And others, because they cannot do it, deride those who can and do. I don't
do a lot of legwork. I have wanted to get out and see what I can really do
with some effort, but my list of honeydos, home improvements (current
kitchen remodel), and spats of health issues give me a fits and starts
performance.

So ignore the derision and quietly laugh at them for paying retail+
for everything they buy.

A relative of mine works at a prime Las Vegas Strip restaurant that has a
country and western theme. He called and asked us if we knew of anywhere we
could get him some stuff. We went looking, and in less than a week made
more than $4k.

You put that on your 1040 form as the IRS requires, too, didn't you?
Good lad.

were straight out of "American Pickers."

Whassat?

But, as you know, it's easy when you see something that is worth $500 and
the guy wants waaaaaaaaaaay less than that, it's almost sinful to take it.
I let the seller set the price, and may haggle downward. I NEVER lowball
anybody, offering $75 on a $500 item. Many times, they will come off with a
price that is LESS than what I have in mind.

Yeah, I always let them set the price, too. And when it's truly low,
I don't dicker. I just agree after bobbing my head back and forth
like a scale, weighing the transaction. They feel better and I get
the deal.

We are a dying breed, Ig. When the rest of the planet is starving, and the
wheels are falling off society, we'll just be rolling along saying, "What?"

Don't forget Gunner and me, too.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve,
You and Ig may be able to appreciate this.
I've figured out what the key to the 21st Century is...

During the 20th Century the key was development and expansion.
Science discovered, engineering implemented, and WE
(the great unwashed masses) - consumed.

But the 21st Century is a bit different.

A week or so back I broke my computer lamp.
I was digging around behind the computer and knocked it off
and broke the green class shade.

So I went to Walmart and bought a new small lamp for the computer.

The old lamp was brass plated steel (METAL!) This one is cast resin
with a cute red shad.

Unfortunately, it was broken in the box. The resin shaft was broken.

There were plenty of opportunities for it to get broken.
It was made in China and traveled half way around the world to get here.
But my immediate suspicions were that someone dropped it on the way home
with it, and returned it to Walmart - broken.

Walmart, still hoping to turn a profit on it, put it back on the shelf
and sold it again. That's how I came by it. (there is one born every minute)

But upon looking at it. I decided that 15 seconds worth of Super Glue
would fix it - and nobody could tell it had eveb been broken!

So I fixed it.
And it sits on top of my computer right now.

So I've come to believe that the key to the 21st Century is
to replace broken things with less-broken things...

Like Russia in the 1950's - 1980's.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
[...]

In times of affluence, I must admit to having "just bought another one"
instead of taking 15 seconds to SuperGlue the old one and get ten more years
service out of it. I think that is changing now, and we will see more
Depression Era attitude of fix it and keep the old one running until failure
mode.

And the good news is that there is enough supply of quality made goods that
are twenty years old sitting around, being sold at yard sales very cheaply
that will outlast this current crop of plastic crap that is being sold, and
the talented fixit guy will win out.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:00:27 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

If you had 109 .40 S&W cases with the same headstamp and I lived in pickup
range, I'd give
15 bucks tops. I think you did very well on this transaction.

Wes
--

I've got many hundreds and I don't have a .40. Why the same headstamp?

Because different manufacturers make different cases. The most noticable thing is case
thickness at the mouth. I've noticed that Remington tends to be thin in most samples I've
worked with of many calibres.

Resize a selection of random makers and then inside neck expand. You are going to notice
a difference that equates into bullet/case tension.

Wes

Ayup. Sometimes this makes a rather large deal in case life as well.

Very large deal

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-12, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve,
[...]

In Russia, they would probably join the two pieces with insulation
tape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 18:11:12 -0500, CaveLamb
wrote:

[...]

Cringe......I believe you are correct.

At least for the next 12 or so years until the last leftwinger has been
hunted down and terminated with extreme prejudice.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I find comfort in knowing that hunting season will officially open in about
three weeks ........................

Let there be no mercy killings. No fast dispatches. Slow, bloody, and
painful. Just like their reign.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:04:18 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

And there is no...no bag limit.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

And there is no...no bag limit.
Gunner

And I hope there are no limits on methods of hunting.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
[...]

God bless, I hope you are right...

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2244 wrote:
On 2010-10-12, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve,
[...]

I CAN FIX ANYTHING!
(where's the duct tape?)

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote

And there is no...no bag limit.
Gunner

And I hope there are no limits on methods of hunting.

Steve

You guys are sick/
Sick!

But I like that...

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One of my most cherished possessions is an old brass lamp
(really! Solid brass gas pipe fittings)
\that I pulled out of a neighbors trash (55 years ago).

Five years old...

I picked it up from a neighbor's trash pile and
brought it home. I promised my mom I would clean it up.
(it had been painted with gold paint!)
And I did.
I cleaned the paint off.
Polished the brass to a sparkling shine..
And she took me to the hardware store for a new cord
(still on it, btw)

So this new broken (resin) lamp has resonance with me...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-13, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote
And there is no...no bag limit.

And I hope there are no limits on methods of hunting.

You guys are sick/ Sick!
But I like that...

At least in the 20th century, of all numerous great culls, about half
was won by rightwingers, and half, by leftwingers, give or take.

Hardly any of those great culls resulted in the kind of society where
I would personally like to be.

In all of them, the older guys, lost big time.

I like reading about some of them, and sometimes feel that I miss the
action, but then I reailze that I do not miss it as much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2244 wrote:
On 2010-10-12, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve,
[...]

Not the bottom of your boat. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

[...]

Looking at new to me 45 acp. last 1911 I owned was stolen. Car wash, and
did not realize case was gone until later. Only place it could have been
ripped off. But since I have a few hundred rounds of ACP and reloader for
45 acp, figure to get another. Glock, 1911? what is a nice weapon, accurate
and fun to shoot. No 2" barrel stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2244 wrote:
On 2010-10-12, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve,
[...]

Why not?

(on the other hand, my bilges are bone dry!)

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-13, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote
And there is no...no bag limit.
And I hope there are no limits on methods of hunting.

You guys are sick/ Sick!
But I like that...

At least in the 20th century, of all numerous great culls, about half
was won by rightwingers, and half, by leftwingers, give or take.

Hardly any of those great culls resulted in the kind of society where
I would personally like to be.

In all of them, the older guys, lost big time.

I like reading about some of them, and sometimes feel that I miss the
action, but then I reailze that I do not miss it as much.

I hear ya, Iggy.
I hear that.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Ignoramus2244 wrote:
On 2010-10-12, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve,
[...]

Have you ever seen waterproof duct tape that really was?

(on the other hand, my bilges are bone dry!)

PERVERT! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Ignoramus2244 wrote:
On 2010-10-12, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve,
[...]

Maybe.
But I like it that way!
Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Ignoramus2244 wrote:
On 2010-10-12, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve,
[...]

That figures. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

[...]

Depends on how much money you are able to spend.

Me...Ive got a number of 1911s...mostly Series 70s, but a handful of
others.

And of the 30 or so handguns I own..not a Glock in the lot.

Im not a big fan of Glocks for a number of reasons, the least is no
safety..all the way up to "no handloaded cast bullets" in Glocks

A good 1911 shouldnt have to cost you $1000 like a Kimber will.

There are lots of good 1911s out there in the world...some Great
ones..some Fair ones..some pieces of ****.

You dont Need adjustable sights, but they are nice.
You dont Need a slicked trigger..you can do it yourself
You dont Need Ported, Polished yada yada..you can do it yourself

The 40 is a decent cartridge too.

But...shrug..Im a .45 guy

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:48:24 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

And there is no...no bag limit.
Gunner

And I hope there are no limits on methods of hunting.

Steve

There wont be.

Or any limits on how you hang or butcher....

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:58:00 -0500, Ignoramus2244

On 2010-10-13, CaveLamb wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote
And there is no...no bag limit.
And I hope there are no limits on methods of hunting.

You guys are sick/ Sick!
But I like that...

At least in the 20th century, of all numerous great culls, about half
was won by rightwingers, and half, by leftwingers, give or take.

Not true...Leftwing ones total about 200 Million dead.

Which "rightwing" ones came even to a fraction of that?

Hardly any of those great culls resulted in the kind of society where
I would personally like to be.

In all of them, the older guys, lost big time.

I like reading about some of them, and sometimes feel that I miss the
action, but then I reailze that I do not miss it as much.

The older guys ...became the rulers.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/12/2010 10:45 PM, Califbill wrote:

Looking at new to me 45 acp. last 1911 I owned was stolen. Car wash, and
did not realize case was gone until later. Only place it could have been
ripped off. But since I have a few hundred rounds of ACP and reloader
for 45 acp, figure to get another. Glock, 1911? what is a nice weapon,
accurate and fun to shoot. No 2" barrel stuff.

I'd say it needs to be a 1911. Everyone should have at least one.
Hard to beat the Springfield Mil-Spec or Loaded models.
Taurus & RIA have more features for the money, but I just can't warm up
to those.
I'd also consider the new Remington 1911

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:00:27 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

snip

Im not a big fan of Glocks for a number of reasons, the least is no
safety..all the way up to "no handloaded cast bullets" in Glocks

A good 1911 shouldnt have to cost you $1000 like a Kimber will.

The fixed sight Kimber I just bought was $720. Plain black finish, no
night sights

Pete Keillor

There are lots of good 1911s out there in the world...some Great
ones..some Fair ones..some pieces of ****.

You dont Need adjustable sights, but they are nice.
You dont Need a slicked trigger..you can do it yourself
You dont Need Ported, Polished yada yada..you can do it yourself

The 40 is a decent cartridge too.

But...shrug..Im a .45 guy

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

A good 1911 shouldnt have to cost you $1000 like a Kimber will.

The fixed sight Kimber I just bought was $720. Plain black finish, no
night sights

I think night sights are overated. If you can see the bad guy you should be able to see
well enough to point the gun at him at threat distances. Lasers seem like a fine way of
illuminating yourself while I'm on the subject.

If your gun shoots where you aim it fixed sights are fine. I *would* like an option to
exchange an oem sight though that doesn't work out. A 0.041" taller rear sight on my S&W
M&P .40 compact would make me very happy.

The fixed rear sight is less likely to snag on things or get out of adjustment. Perfect
on a carry gun once you figure out your carry ammo.

Which Kimber model is it?

Wes