Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 45 Colt brass redux

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:45:42 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:00:27 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

If you had 109 .40 S&W cases with the same headstamp and I lived in
pickup
range, I'd give
15 bucks tops. I think you did very well on this transaction.

Wes
--

I've got many hundreds and I don't have a .40. Why the same headstamp?

Because different manufacturers make different cases. The most noticable
thing is case
thickness at the mouth. I've noticed that Remington tends to be thin in
most samples I've
worked with of many calibres.

Resize a selection of random makers and then inside neck expand. You are
going to notice
a difference that equates into bullet/case tension.

Wes

Ayup. Sometimes this makes a rather large deal in case life as well.

Very large deal

Gunner

Looking at new to me 45 acp. last 1911 I owned was stolen. Car wash, and
did not realize case was gone until later. Only place it could have been
ripped off. But since I have a few hundred rounds of ACP and reloader for
45 acp, figure to get another. Glock, 1911? what is a nice weapon, accurate
and fun to shoot. No 2" barrel stuff.

Depends on how much money you are able to spend.

Me...Ive got a number of 1911s...mostly Series 70s, but a handful of
others.

And of the 30 or so handguns I own..not a Glock in the lot.

Im not a big fan of Glocks for a number of reasons, the least is no
safety..all the way up to "no handloaded cast bullets" in Glocks

A good 1911 shouldnt have to cost you $1000 like a Kimber will.

There are lots of good 1911s out there in the world...some Great
ones..some Fair ones..some pieces of ****.

You dont Need adjustable sights, but they are nice.
You dont Need a slicked trigger..you can do it yourself
You dont Need Ported, Polished yada yada..you can do it yourself

The 40 is a decent cartridge too.

But...shrug..Im a .45 guy

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)