Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Brass allthread redux

Went all over today, and couldn't find any. Did find quarter twenty joiners
about an inch long. Hex in shape. Definitely steel Will use them this
trip to join the two short pieces together, and by next year, I'm sure
they'll be a blob. Maybe by then, I'll have something else figured out. I
DID find brass rod (not welding rod) in the metal section of Ace. Think
I'll go with my idea of cutting off some short threaded sections and welding
them on to the end of a solid brass rod for next year. Will be interesting
to see how hard they corrode on there. The other ones (combo aluminum body
with steel nuts) have been easy to get off. The brass threads are not
corroded much, and can be cleaned by just chasing with a nut run down from
the other end.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:25:57 -0800, SteveB wrote:

Went all over today, and couldn't find any. Did find quarter twenty
joiners about an inch long. Hex in shape. Definitely steel Will use
them this trip to join the two short pieces together, and by next year,
I'm sure they'll be a blob. Maybe by then, I'll have something else
figured out. I DID find brass rod (not welding rod) in the metal
section of Ace. Think I'll go with my idea of cutting off some short
threaded sections and welding them on to the end of a solid brass rod
for next year. Will be interesting to see how hard they corrode on
there. The other ones (combo aluminum body with steel nuts) have been
easy to get off. The brass threads are not corroded much, and can be
cleaned by just chasing with a nut run down from the other end.

Steve

So get a good 1/4-20 die and thread the ends of your 1/4 brass rod.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:25:57 -0800, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA
wrote:

Went all over today, and couldn't find any. Did find quarter twenty joiners
about an inch long. Hex in shape. Definitely steel Will use them this
trip to join the two short pieces together, and by next year, I'm sure
they'll be a blob. Maybe by then, I'll have something else figured out. I
DID find brass rod (not welding rod) in the metal section of Ace. Think
I'll go with my idea of cutting off some short threaded sections and welding
them on to the end of a solid brass rod for next year. Will be interesting
to see how hard they corrode on there. The other ones (combo aluminum body
with steel nuts) have been easy to get off. The brass threads are not
corroded much, and can be cleaned by just chasing with a nut run down from
the other end.

Steve

McMaster Carr has 1/4-20 Brass Threaded Rods, from 1/2" to 6' long.

The 24" pieces you're looking for is:
Part # 98812A029 $6.75 each

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for the above part number.

Matt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:25:57 -0800, SteveB wrote:

Went all over today, and couldn't find any. Did find quarter twenty joiners
about an inch long. Hex in shape. Definitely steel Will use them this
trip to join the two short pieces together, and by next year, I'm sure
they'll be a blob. Maybe by then, I'll have something else figured out. I
DID find brass rod (not welding rod) in the metal section of Ace. Think
I'll go with my idea of cutting off some short threaded sections and welding
them on to the end of a solid brass rod for next year. Will be interesting
to see how hard they corrode on there. The other ones (combo aluminum body
with steel nuts) have been easy to get off. The brass threads are not
corroded much, and can be cleaned by just chasing with a nut run down from
the other end.

Brass all-thread is a common item, keep looking.

Paint, depending on circumstances, can do a lot to prevent corrosion.

7/16-28 allthread? steamer Metalworking 3 May 9th 06 10:23 PM
Allthread for my bench top? AAvK Woodworking 14 March 7th 06 04:28 AM
die grinder redux SteveB Metalworking 1 December 7th 05 01:27 AM
Chainsaw redux SteveB Metalworking 18 October 4th 05 02:54 AM
AC gearmotor -redux Tom Gardner Metalworking 17 June 24th 05 06:20 PM