Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chaps my ass

Down at the corner where we get off the freeway is a new stop sign. The old
one, still in perfect condition is laying on the ground beside it. I bet
tomorrow, it has been run over by a dozer, or crumpled by a backhoe with a
thumb bucket. Those things have to be $500 when all is said and done. Why
couldn't they use the old one (that looks new) and not have to have a new
one and destroy the old one so it can't be used somewhere else? I might
make a midnight run tonight ................

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:48:35 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Down at the corner where we get off the freeway is a new stop sign. The old
one, still in perfect condition is laying on the ground beside it. I bet
tomorrow, it has been run over by a dozer, or crumpled by a backhoe with a
thumb bucket. Those things have to be $500 when all is said and done. Why
couldn't they use the old one (that looks new) and not have to have a new
one and destroy the old one so it can't be used somewhere else? I might
make a midnight run tonight ................

Steve

Our street sign was stolen about 5 months ago, yesterday I see they
finally got a new one. They put it up parallel to the main road !

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Down at the corner where we get off the freeway is a new stop sign. The
old
one, still in perfect condition is laying on the ground beside it. I bet
tomorrow, it has been run over by a dozer, or crumpled by a backhoe with a
thumb bucket. Those things have to be $500 when all is said and done.
Why
couldn't they use the old one (that looks new) and not have to have a new
one and destroy the old one so it can't be used somewhere else? I might
make a midnight run tonight ................

Steve

Our street sign was stolen about 5 months ago, yesterday I see they
finally got a new one. They put it up parallel to the main road !

SW

They have three more ways they can put it mathematically. I bet it takes
them all three trips.

I wonder seriously if there is any drug testing in these agencies, or if
it's like union work. They get extra points from the guys.

"Hey, how many trip tickets does it take to put up a stop sign?"

"Who cares? You got a problem with that?"

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 17, 12:48*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

*I might make a midnight run tonight ................

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Hey - I long ago gave up looking for rationality in these things -
just view it as an opportunity to get some nice thick aluminium
plate.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

(sigh...I miss having a truck or van, so many cool things going
begging....)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Hey - I long ago gave up looking for rationality in these things -
just view it as an opportunity to get some nice thick aluminium
plate.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

We have some "sign" material at school and I went to use a bit
of it some time ago. What a pain to get the plastic coat that
contains the color/text off. That must be the ultimate atach
method. The aluminum was pretty soft and the plastic was almost
stiffer than the metal. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 12:48 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

I might make a midnight run tonight ................

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Hey - I long ago gave up looking for rationality in these things -
just view it as an opportunity to get some nice thick aluminium
plate.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

(sigh...I miss having a truck or van, so many cool things going
begging....)

We have a problem with ATV riders riding along one side of out property. I
went to City Hall in our tiny town, and asked if they had anything I could
post. The guy said sure, and took me to the garage in back. He gave me for
free, an 8' pressure treated 4 x 4 and a diamond shaped aluminum DEAD END
sign that is 3'+ on each side with reflective face. He said it had been in
their shop for a few years, and they were looking for a place to put it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Down at the corner where we get off the freeway is a new stop sign. The old
one, still in perfect condition is laying on the ground beside it. I bet
tomorrow, it has been run over by a dozer, or crumpled by a backhoe with a
thumb bucket. Those things have to be $500 when all is said and done. Why
couldn't they use the old one (that looks new) and not have to have a new
one and destroy the old one so it can't be used somewhere else? I might
make a midnight run tonight ................

Steve

Our street sign was stolen about 5 months ago, yesterday I see they
finally got a new one. They put it up parallel to the main road !

Hah. Reminds me of when they put in a new shopping
center near my house. They first put up the street
lights, then hung the sloping horizontal signal pole
arms for the stoplights. I couldn't figure out why
the stoplights didn't line up with the lanes on the
road.

They had hung the signal poles on the wrong sides
of the street. The eastbound side of the street had
a left turn lane and the west bound side had a right
turn lane.

So on the westbound side, they mounted a signal pole
arm with positions for a left turn and straight, and
placed straight and right turn signals on it.

On the eastbound side, they mounted a signal pole arm
with positions for straight and right turn and mounted
left turn and straight signals on it.

My wife couldn't stop laughing when I pointed it out
to her...

It's been about 20 years and it's never been fixed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

Down at the corner where we get off the freeway is a new stop sign. The old
one, still in perfect condition is laying on the ground beside it. I bet
tomorrow, it has been run over by a dozer, or crumpled by a backhoe with a
thumb bucket. Those things have to be $500 when all is said and done. Why
couldn't they use the old one (that looks new) and not have to have a new
one and destroy the old one so it can't be used somewhere else? I might
make a midnight run tonight ................

The Road Commission around here has two major objectives:

1 -Look busy, this is a must

2 -Do the job in such a way that you can do it again tomorrow.

You just try and talk some sense into them, they will see to it
that you never make such "fool" comments again...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B writes:

Why couldn't they use the old one ...

Lifetime of signs something like 7 years. The reflective material loses
its reflectivity and contrast over time. It might look OK, but higher
visibility does translate into statistical life and property saved.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pinstripe Sniper" wrote in message
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

On Aug 17, 12:48 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I might make a midnight run tonight ................
Steve

Hey - I long ago gave up looking for rationality in these things -
just view it as an opportunity to get some nice thick aluminium
plate.......
Andrew VK3BFA.

In my neck of the world (S. Nevada) the sign posts are perforated
galvanized 2" square stock. I have a "friend" (Johnny...Table) who
will pick up wiped out sign posts. Handy stuff. The signs
themselves, not so handy "he" says. :-)

PsS

Yeah, that 2" squarestock is good stuff.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Steve B writes:

Why couldn't they use the old one ...

Lifetime of signs something like 7 years. The reflective material loses
its reflectivity and contrast over time. It might look OK, but higher
visibility does translate into statistical life and property saved.

Then I guess they would have no problem with me removing the junk.

Steve

free books while they last

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 17, 1:26*pm, (Pinstripe Sniper) wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Aug 17, 12:48*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
*I might *make a midnight run tonight ................
Steve

Hey - I long ago gave up looking for rationality in these things -
just view it as an opportunity to get some nice thick aluminium
plate.......
Andrew VK3BFA.

In my neck of the world (S. Nevada) *the sign posts are perforated
galvanized 2" square stock. *I have a "friend" (Johnny...Table) who
will pick up wiped out sign posts. *Handy stuff. *The signs
themselves, not so handy "he" says. * :-)

PsS

What's amazing to me is how many get flattened in totally decent
weather. Don't know how many times I've gone by a stop sign, street
sign or directional divider sign one day and it's bent over flat the
next. No ice, no rain, nothing. Bunch of drunks, must be. Guess it
keeps the street department in work. Body shops, too. You'd have a
hard time straightening out those sign posts, most resemble a lazy "S"
after ending up underneath. Have some three foot tall concrete
bollards about a foot in diameter in front of the neighborhood post
office, somebody flattened a couple of those, too. Have a 3" pipe in
the center, also filled with concrete. Can't think of any car short
of one traveling at speed flattening one, had to have been a really
substantial truck. Painted bright yellow, too, not exactly
camoflaged. Glad I'm not out much that late(or that early).

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 7:48*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Down at the corner where we get off the freeway is a new stop sign. *The old
one, still in perfect condition is laying on the ground beside it. *I bet
tomorrow, it has been run over by a dozer, or crumpled by a backhoe with a
thumb bucket. *Those things have to be $500 when all is said and done. *Why
couldn't they use the old one (that looks new) and not have to have a new
one and destroy the old one so it can't be used somewhere else? *I might
make a midnight run tonight ................

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Trouble is the authorities keep trying to enforce the sign even when
it is lying on the ground, or has completely disappeared. Where we
used to live in Washington, a 20mph school sign had been flat on the
ground for over a year, but driver were still being targeted by school
authorities based on license plates. They reported the speeding cars
to the local sheriff deputy, who cited the driver next time he found
them in the area.

Finally someone in the neighborhood asked the school authorities why
they were doing this and they could not find the sign. All the
citations had to be canceled and fines returned. Very red faced
authorities.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The sign says: " | "?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message

Our street sign was stolen about 5 months ago, yesterday I see they
finally got a new one. They put it up parallel to the main road !

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve sez: "Then I guess they would have no problem with me removing the junk."

S' ok, Steve. Just be careful you don't wind up in a warm tent like in AZ.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew wrote:
On Aug 17, 12:48 pm, "Steve wrote:
[...]

Speaking of late or early, just a reminder--if you have kids and set
them a curfew, make sure it's long enough before or after the bars close
that you aren't forcing them to be on the road with all the drunks
heading home.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:08:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The sign says: " | "?

Very good description.

I should take advantage of the situation and fix it, then take two
2lb. hammers and expand the threads so it won't disappear so easily
next time.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

In Vegas, at about Tropicana and Annie Oakley, or right about there, is a
corner house that had a car come through the diagonaled corner of their
block wall fence on the corner. It did this about three times. Then they
put three columns, each about four 8-8-16 cinderblock on row, and about six
rows high. More than four feet. Then they poured them solid with concrete.
I have passed by there since, and although no one has made it past them,
they have taken what had to be massive hits, one time nearly obliterating
one of the monoliths. That driver had to be sailing, and had they not put
the monoliths there, probably would have ended up in the pool, back yard, or
in the house. When they put them in, I figured that I would see some dings
here and there. But these things have taken some massive blows. Sure did
help with rebuilding the block wall every few months, though.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep.. They installed a bus stop right in front of our shop. About 30 ft
long, with a guard rail so ppl don't fall back into the ditch. It took
them at least 10-15 trips just to install the rail.. thats not including
how long it actually took them to pour the concrete.

Our tax dollars hard at work there.. heh