Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sealed (really sealed) run capacitors?

Ignoramus30382 wrote:

My coolant pump died today. All points to the run capacitor (there is
no start capacitor). The pump vibrates and overheats, but would not
run.

10 uF, 220v.

The cap is attached to the pump motor by means of a springy bracket.

This is a "sealed capacitor" with no exposed terminals. It is not
like regular caps with push on terminals. There are no exposed
terminals. I can post a picture tomorrow.

I could not find such units at mcmaster or digikey. Are there such
caps sold anywhere at all?

Stuck centrifugal switch? Sure the pump didn't suck in a stray chip and
jam up?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus30382 wrote:

My coolant pump died today. All points to the run capacitor (there is
no start capacitor). The pump vibrates and overheats, but would not
run.

10 uF, 220v.

The cap is attached to the pump motor by means of a springy bracket.

This is a "sealed capacitor" with no exposed terminals. It is not
like regular caps with push on terminals. There are no exposed
terminals. I can post a picture tomorrow.

I could not find such units at mcmaster or digikey. Are there such
caps sold anywhere at all?

Stuck centrifugal switch? Sure the pump didn't suck in a stray chip and
jam up?

I am not sure. I did not have time yesterday, may look at it today. The
pump has a inlet filter that looks decently enough made to catch
chips.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

This is a "sealed capacitor" with no exposed terminals. It is not
like regular caps with push on terminals. There are no exposed
terminals. I can post a picture tomorrow.

Um... then how does it connect? Does it have pigtails instead of spade
lugs?

If so... yes, pigtail caps are readily available.

I don't really know what you mean by "sealed", though. All conventional
electrolytics must have some sort of pressure-relief vent ('cept
tantalums... but they're a different breed.)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

This is a "sealed capacitor" with no exposed terminals. It is not
like regular caps with push on terminals. There are no exposed
terminals. I can post a picture tomorrow.

Um... then how does it connect? Does it have pigtails instead of spade
lugs?

If so... yes, pigtail caps are readily available.

I don't really know what you mean by "sealed", though. All conventional
electrolytics must have some sort of pressure-relief vent ('cept
tantalums... but they're a different breed.)

LLoyd

Tantalum capacitors are not electrolytics - no electrolyte (and thus no
drying out with age).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

This is a "sealed capacitor" with no exposed terminals. It is not
like regular caps with push on terminals. There are no exposed
terminals. I can post a picture tomorrow.

Um... then how does it connect? Does it have pigtails instead of spade
lugs?

If so... yes, pigtail caps are readily available.

I don't really know what you mean by "sealed", though. All conventional
electrolytics must have some sort of pressure-relief vent ('cept
tantalums... but they're a different breed.)

These are run caps, so they are not electrolytic. If you know of a
place to get a pigtail run cap, let me know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c5ac7b0$0$8885
:

Tantalum capacitors are not electrolytics - no electrolyte (and thus no
drying out with age).

Yes, Pete, I know... They still persist in calling them "tantalum
electrolytics" in some circles. That is what I meant by "different breed".

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

This is a "sealed capacitor" with no exposed terminals. It is not
like regular caps with push on terminals. There are no exposed
terminals. I can post a picture tomorrow.

Um... then how does it connect? Does it have pigtails instead of spade
lugs?

If so... yes, pigtail caps are readily available.

I don't really know what you mean by "sealed", though. All conventional
electrolytics must have some sort of pressure-relief vent ('cept
tantalums... but they're a different breed.)

These are run caps, so they are not electrolytic. If you know of a
place to get a pigtail run cap, let me know.

I expect most any electrical or HVAC supply place will have suitable
caps.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c5ac7b0$0$8885
:

Tantalum capacitors are not electrolytics - no electrolyte (and thus no
drying out with age).

Yes, Pete, I know... They still persist in calling them "tantalum
electrolytics" in some circles. That is what I meant by "different breed".

LLoyd

Sounds like a circle to avoid...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 5, 10:14*am, "Pete C." wrote:

Tantalum capacitors are not electrolytics - no electrolyte (and thus no
drying out with age).

I think all tantalum caps are considered electrolytics. Don't think
so, just reverse the polarity and wear safety glasses.

Centainly wet slug tantalums are electrolytics.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in
ter.com:

These are run caps, so they are not electrolytic. If you know of a
place to get a pigtail run cap, let me know.

I expect most any electrical or HVAC supply place will have suitable
caps.

Ig... what is the nature of the connections? Is it opposite-ends
(axial), single-end (radial), single pigtail on one end with a bolt on
the other end, one axial pigtail with the case clamp as the other
connection? (wouldn't expect one of the last two on a motor, but you
never know)

And last -- if it is an axial with two leads, why couldn't you make up
your own pigtails for a quick-disconnect type?

There are lots of oil-filled film caps out there in several package
styles.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Pete C." fired this volley in
ter.com:

These are run caps, so they are not electrolytic. If you know of a
place to get a pigtail run cap, let me know.

I expect most any electrical or HVAC supply place will have suitable
caps.

Ig... what is the nature of the connections? Is it opposite-ends
(axial), single-end (radial), single pigtail on one end with a bolt on
the other end, one axial pigtail with the case clamp as the other
connection? (wouldn't expect one of the last two on a motor, but you
never know)

Pigtail on the side.

And last -- if it is an axial with two leads, why couldn't you make up
your own pigtails for a quick-disconnect type?

It is operating in a wet area, that's why.

There are lots of oil-filled film caps out there in several package
styles.

It would not be very safe to put it on a pump that sits in a coolant
sump next to water level.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

Pigtail on the side.

One, only, not two?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

Pigtail on the side.

One, only, not two?

one multiconductor pigtail.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

one multiconductor pigtail.

Ok... you're in your "obtuse" mode today.

For purposes of settling on terms, let's say I believe EACH conductor is
a "pigtail".

How many conductors, Ig?

(hint... although anything more than one could be construed as "multi"
under the strictest definition, the term "multi-conductor" is usually
reserved in cable parlance (and Webster's) for "more than two")

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

one multiconductor pigtail.

Ok... you're in your "obtuse" mode today.

For purposes of settling on terms, let's say I believe EACH conductor is
a "pigtail".

How many conductors, Ig?

I am pretty sure that the pigtail has two conductors, but I did not
open it to look, yet.

(hint... although anything more than one could be construed as "multi"
under the strictest definition, the term "multi-conductor" is usually
reserved in cable parlance (and Webster's) for "more than two")

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This might be unobtainium.

Could you route a couple wires down your sealtight and put the cap inside
the cabinet?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

I am pretty sure that the pigtail has two conductors, but I did not
open it to look, yet.

And the shape of the package? Cylindrical, oval cylinder, square?

The leads come out the side? Centered on the long dimension? short? end
of the cylinder or oval? (clue... the last two would be considered
"radial leads", which are most common)

Ig... you're a _really_ smart guy, but today it's like dealing with
Stryped trying to drag information out of you. Have a bad night?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Karl Townsend wrote:

This might be unobtainium.

Could you route a couple wires down your sealtight and put the cap inside
the cabinet?

I bought this

it is in the UK, so could take a while to get here. For the next two
weeks, I will put in a regular run cap and will just be careful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

I am pretty sure that the pigtail has two conductors, but I did not
open it to look, yet.

And the shape of the package? Cylindrical, oval cylinder, square?

The leads come out the side? Centered on the long dimension? short? end
of the cylinder or oval? (clue... the last two would be considered
"radial leads", which are most common)

Ig... you're a _really_ smart guy, but today it's like dealing with
Stryped trying to drag information out of you. Have a bad night?

LLoyd

Cylindrical, mounts in a clip on the outside of the pump.

I will take it apart tonight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:01:53 -0500, Ignoramus16841

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

Pigtail on the side.

One, only, not two?

one multiconductor pigtail.

Crom Iggy..how ****ing many wires in the pigtail???????

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

Iggy, that style is commonly available in the US from ordinary electric
supplies. It's sometimes referred to as a "lighting capacitor". Maybe
that's because they're used more in arc lamp service than in motors.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

Iggy, that style is commonly available in the US from ordinary electric
supplies. It's sometimes referred to as a "lighting capacitor". Maybe

http://www.lectrons.com/department/l...acitors-12.cfm

Model Number: 10.0/280-2

10uf, 280V dry film capacitor for sodium vapor lighting fixtures.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

Iggy, that style is commonly available in the US from ordinary electric
supplies. It's sometimes referred to as a "lighting capacitor". Maybe
that's because they're used more in arc lamp service than in motors.

Do you know of a local place that sells them? My local HVAC house
would not even talk to you unless you have a van and a ladder on top
of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

Do you know of a local place that sells them?

Graybar carries the GE line of lighting capacitors.

Grainger may, but their online catalog is impossible, and their paper one
has no listings for anything but full ballast/capacitor "kits" for HPS
fixtures.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in
:

Do you know of a local place that sells them?

Graybar carries the GE line of lighting capacitors.

Grainger may, but their online catalog is impossible, and their paper one
has no listings for anything but full ballast/capacitor "kits" for HPS
fixtures.

Their online catalog is an ungodly mess, that's why I never shop
there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I don't really know what you mean by "sealed", though. All conventional
electrolytics must have some sort of pressure-relief vent ('cept
tantalums... but they're a different breed.)

This is a RUN cap, oil-filled paper, not an electrolytic.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson fired this volley in news:mISdnf9vYL-
:

This is a RUN cap, oil-filled paper, not an electrolytic.

Yes, Jon. That, also, was dealt with far (far!) earlier in the thread.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16841 wrote:

It would not be very safe to put it on a pump that sits in a coolant
sump next to water level.

Well, put long wires on the motor end, clean the area with solvent and
glop liberally with RTV to seal the connections against moisture. Then,
mount the commodity cap in a safe location.

HVAC contractor supply outfits have these very cheap, but they may need
you to show business identification before they will sell to you.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16841 wrote:

Do you know of a local place that sells them? My local HVAC house
would not even talk to you unless you have a van and a ladder on top
of it.

I ran into that a while ago, but then I remembered I had an EPA "green
card" so I could buy Freon. That was all they needed to sell me a
really BIG run cap for a central air compressor, for about $7.00. I was
fully prepared to pay $50+ for such an item and was amazed at the low price.
So, that $19 green card paid for itself that day!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus16841 wrote:

Do you know of a local place that sells them? My local HVAC house
would not even talk to you unless you have a van and a ladder on top
of it.

I ran into that a while ago, but then I remembered I had an EPA "green
card" so I could buy Freon. That was all they needed to sell me a
really BIG run cap for a central air compressor, for about $7.00. I was
fully prepared to pay $50+ for such an item and was amazed at the low price.
So, that $19 green card paid for itself that day!

Jon

Yep, a handy thing to have. I got my "universal" recently, haven't had a
chance to use it yet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus16841 wrote:

Do you know of a local place that sells them? My local HVAC house
would not even talk to you unless you have a van and a ladder on top
of it.

I ran into that a while ago, but then I remembered I had an EPA "green
card" so I could buy Freon. That was all they needed to sell me a
really BIG run cap for a central air compressor, for about $7.00. I was
fully prepared to pay $50+ for such an item and was amazed at the low price.
So, that $19 green card paid for itself that day!

I wonder why they would not sell that stuff to just anyone.

Anyway, turns out the pump was just stuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-05, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus16841 wrote:

Do you know of a local place that sells them? My local HVAC house
would not even talk to you unless you have a van and a ladder on top
of it.

I ran into that a while ago, but then I remembered I had an EPA "green
card" so I could buy Freon. That was all they needed to sell me a
really BIG run cap for a central air compressor, for about $7.00. I was
fully prepared to pay $50+ for such an item and was amazed at the low price.
So, that $19 green card paid for itself that day!

I wonder why they would not sell that stuff to just anyone.

For some reason, "union mentality" permeates the HVAC world.

Anyway, turns out the pump was just stuck.

Ha! I was right
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 20:44:46 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2010-08-05, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus16841 wrote:

Do you know of a local place that sells them? My local HVAC house
would not even talk to you unless you have a van and a ladder on top
of it.
I ran into that a while ago, but then I remembered I had an EPA "green
card" so I could buy Freon. That was all they needed to sell me a
really BIG run cap for a central air compressor, for about $7.00. I was
fully prepared to pay $50+ for such an item and was amazed at the low price.
So, that $19 green card paid for itself that day!

I wonder why they would not sell that stuff to just anyone.

For some reason, "union mentality" permeates the HVAC world.

Anyway, turns out the pump was just stuck.

Ha! I was right

Chuckle...so was I.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9

Oil in sealed motor? David C. Home Repair 5 June 19th 09 10:46 PM
Converting to sealed CH Jon[_3_] UK diy 5 November 28th 08 04:14 PM
Add HWC to sealed system Vaci UK diy 5 January 3rd 07 10:57 AM
sealed hot water boiler will UK diy 2 December 6th 05 03:08 PM
Draughts even though already sealed?! baxybaxy UK diy 2 November 11th 05 01:42 PM