Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil in sealed motor?

Greetings

I have an undercut/jamb saw, which hasn't been used in years. The saw was
used very little b/4 storing. I opened the case, and found oil inside the
case. The saw wasn't stored flat, the case was stored upright, which puts
the saw on its side.

Since there's no way of getting oil back in the saw, just wondered if this
will present a problem. Will the saw burn up prematurely?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David C. wrote:
I have an undercut/jamb saw, ... I opened the case, and found oil inside the
case. ...
Since there's no way of getting oil back in the saw, just wondered if this
will present a problem. Will the saw burn up prematurely?

Depends on how much was lost compared to what original quantity was.

And, there has to be a way to get oil in; if it was there initially it
didn't get there by magic...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

that doesn't follow. oil could have been added during manufacture, and the
only way to add more would be to take it apart in such a way that it

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

charlie wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
David C. wrote:
I have an undercut/jamb saw, ... I opened the case, and found oil inside
the
case. ...
Since there's no way of getting oil back in the saw, just wondered if
this will present a problem. Will the saw burn up prematurely?

Depends on how much was lost compared to what original quantity was.

And, there has to be a way to get oil in; if it was there initially it
didn't get there by magic...

--

that doesn't follow. oil could have been added during manufacture, and the
only way to add more would be to take it apart in such a way that it
couldn't be put back together.

Oh, I never said it wouldn't possibly be destructive...

I've done things like drill through the case plastic and then tapped the
hole for a small set screw or just epoxied in a plug to try to get a
little extra life out of stuff like that.

There's virtually always a way...now the device may not be worth the
effort, granted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 10:13*am, "David C." wrote:
Greetings

I have an undercut/jamb saw, which hasn't been used in years. The saw was
used very little b/4 storing. I opened the case, and found oil inside the
case. The saw wasn't stored flat, the case was stored upright, which puts
the saw on its side.

Since there's no way of getting oil back in the saw, just wondered if this
will present a problem. Will the saw burn up prematurely?

Thanks

See if you can run some lighweight oil down the end of the motors
shaft (at the endbell) . which will cause some to land on the
bearings oil wick inside. If there is no shaft or place to run the
oil down, then disregard and use it till it quits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2009 8:50 AM Hipupchuck spake thus:

David C. wrote:

I have an undercut/jamb saw, which hasn't been used in years. The
saw was used very little b/4 storing. I opened the case, and found
oil inside the case. The saw wasn't stored flat, the case was
stored upright, which puts the saw on its side.

Since there's no way of getting oil back in the saw, just wondered
if this will present a problem. Will the saw burn up prematurely?

Drill a small hole and tap it. Stick in a grease needle and pump it
full of grease then screw in a screw with a rubber washer. Grease won't
run out so easily.

Well, if you're going to go to all that trouble, why not drill and tap a
hole and install a grease fitting permanently? (That is, if the tool
even takes grease; the O.P. said that oil came out. Grease doesn't
replace oil.)

Me, I'd just take the damn thing apart. Haven't met a power tool yet
that couldn't be dismantled and where I couldn't figure out how to
replenish its lubricant. Not exactly rocket surgery.