Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default On the trail anecdote

While on my hike today, a woman on a bicycle approached me.
Middle-aged, attractive. She wondered if I could help her with
orientation, direct her to how she could get where she wanted to go. I
could and did. I know the local trail system quite well.

I asked her if she felt safe riding the trails alone. She said that
she was a little apprehensive about that but couldn't always find a
friend available to accompany her when she wanted to ride. I think I
succeeded in not staring at her lovely tits more than she wanted them
noticed and appreciated.

I noted that seniors approaching 70 might be regarded as easy prey so
I carry a sidearm on my walks. I don't expect to ever use it but I
definitely feel better having it with me.

She gave me a very long look and then said, "I'm glad you said that!
Thank you! I do feel vulnerable but thought that carrying a gun
might seem silly to others." She's right about that, but those others
won't be there to help her if she should ever be accosted while riding
alone. I didn't say anything to that effect, she'll make her own
choices. "I only recently started wearing a helmet while riding. Now
I think I will look into taking responsibity for my safety when riding
alone."

That was that, I bade her nice ride and good afternoon. I didn't show
her my piece or make any recommendations other than which turn to take
to get back to East River Road near Rice Creek.

Truth be told, I do occasionally feel slightly ridiculous when I put a
handgun into my pocket for my walks. But I'd feel a whole lot more
ridiculous having a fairly respectable collection of handguns at home
but nothing with which to defend myself if accosted by opportunistic
predatory punks on the trail.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman on Sat, 10 Jul 2010
00:44:36 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I noted that seniors approaching 70 might be regarded as easy prey so
I carry a sidearm on my walks. I don't expect to ever use it but I
definitely feel better having it with me.

She gave me a very long look and then said, "I'm glad you said that!
Thank you! I do feel vulnerable but thought that carrying a gun
might seem silly to others."

art Linkletter used to say he like to interview kids under 8,and
folks over 65. The kids don't know better, and the old folks don't
care. So, she might "seem silly to others" but what do they know?
"When I am old, I shall wear purple."

She's right about that, but those others
won't be there to help her if she should ever be accosted while riding
alone. I didn't say anything to that effect, she'll make her own
choices. "I only recently started wearing a helmet while riding. Now
I think I will look into taking responsibity for my safety when riding
alone."

If it looks silly, but works, it ain' silly. But everybody has to
make their own choices.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 00:44:36 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

[...]

I had an experience on the trail yesterday. The wife wanted to go out
in the woods to check berry supplies this year and was afraid to go
out on her dad's ATV alone cause of the wolfs, bear, and cougars. She
asked me to come along with the gun and if I would drive the thing
cause it is a standard transmission. I told her I tried to get her dad
to explain how he just shifts it without a clutch and he gave me some
screwy answer, anyhow that had occurred a couple of weeks ago when I
welded a lever onto the foot shifter. So, I said go over there and get
him to explain how it works and have him teach her. Then I go off to
the river and cool off and come back with her all smiles and driving
this thing around and off we go with me on the back. On the way she is
explaining how this thing works of having to shift while going faster
and you don't on the way down to slower. Didn't sound right , but it
has about 4 different shifter things on the tank plus the lever to the
foot shifter, so I'm thinking how in the world did they pull this off.
Well, we get into the woods and she says oh, BTW this thing doesn't
have brakes. Quick mind check, standard transmission it will slow down
when you let off the gas... Tell her to go slow and to never ever give
up trying when things go bad.

Lot ty da deep in the woods and the hills get bigger, going down the
hills gets more exciting and up slower and slower with both of us on
there. Well, we go up this hill and the thing balked and then snubbed
out, oh no its rolling backwards! She's like what/how are we gonna
die? I'm thinking stay on the trail the best you can, but can't
verbalize it fast enough. Crash backwards into a swamp with her and
the machine on top of me, my right femur hurts and I ask if she is ok
with nothing but ooh ooh ANTS. My backside in deep in the swamp and
pushed the machine off of us with my left leg , barefooted I might
add. Get on my feet and get her up all the while 'ants mean ants'.
Then while trying to pull the beast out my foot slips on the wet grass
and stops abruptly probably breaking the toe next to the big toe.

Happen to have the phone on me and barely enough battery to get a hold
of help. Her ass hurts and my left leg feels like someone swung a
baseball bat at it right under the gun in my from pocket and my left
foot partially crippled. Yeah, lets go out in the woods, it will be
lots of fun.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

all well and good, but sometimes it goes bad:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...ense21-ON.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

She gave me a very long look and then said, "I'm glad you said that!
Thank you! I do feel vulnerable but thought that carrying a gun
might seem silly to others." She's right about that, but those others
won't be there to help her if she should ever be accosted while riding
alone. I didn't say anything to that effect, she'll make her own
choices. "I only recently started wearing a helmet while riding. Now
I think I will look into taking responsibity for my safety when riding
alone."

Sounds like a smart lady. A handlebar bag is an excellent place to conceal one's handgun
and if you walk into a store or eating place wearing your spandex carrying said bag, no
one wonders what is in the bag. I know.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

ATVs are the work of the devil.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:00:53 -0700, "chaniarts"
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Yes, sometimes it does. Occasionally, being incapable of self defense
goes even worse for hikers that are perceived by punks as easy prey.
Pick yer pony, take yer ride.

I won't presume to second-guess the Arizona story, other than to note
that Mr. Fish fired "warning shots". A person in imminent danger of
mortal or grave bodily harm does not fire warning shots.

If he truly believed that a snarling dog presented imminent threat of
grave personal injury and retreat was not an option, then a reasonable
man might have shot the dog forthwith. If a civil court later found
his belief of the moment to be unreasonable then it probably would
have cost him a bunch of money. Life ain't always fair and is never
free for responsibile citizens.

If, upon shooting the dog he were then attacked by the dog's owner,
can't say whether shooting the owner would have been justified
without more evidence about relative ages, sizes, etc: whether or not
the attack by the unarmed dog owner presented reasonable belief of
imminent risk of mortal or grave bodily harm to the shooter.

Firing a "warning shot" with a firearm legally makes the shooter the
aggressor or assailant in many or most states. That may have been Mr.
Fish's legal problem in Arizona.

In most States an armed citizen may not fire unless and until he or
she reasonably believes him/herself to be in imminent peril of death
or grave bodily harm, and the reasonableness of such belief is subject
to review by authorities, prosecutors, courts and juries after the
fact.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Shooting a couple dogs with a .380...tends to **** off the dogs and lets
the owner beat you to death.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I thought he was almost exclusively into horses.

SW , Who will automatically back up from a well made drill pipe corral
when the horse comes close to eat carrots and sugar cubes from other
people.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Crom...why?????

While horses are slightly dumber than the average dog..they are as a
group, are well behaved critters who generally like people.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, been to rodeos, trail rides, endurance competions, auctions, and
shows. They are predictably unpredictable. I've seen many of them
snap, and hurt people and even distroy themselves. Remember the story
I told about people being mean to one just to shave its ears for sale
and end up disemouling itself? Loading and unloading them at night is
not fun, broken coller bones, skulls, you name it to other people.
They bite, run you under tree limbs, jump perpendicular 3 feet while
going 20 mph and dump you and take off. Ever clean stalls with them in
there with ya? They are lots bigger than you. Seen them get in trouble
with bulls and get hurt and go completly postal. Have seen up close
how they set them up for bronk riding, if you ever seen that you know
what I'm talking about.

But I bet your one of those horse lovers and all this is like
complaining that the car leaks oil in the garage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

lol!

Very nice!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 02:09:08 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Shooting a couple dogs with a .380...tends to **** off the dogs and lets
the owner beat you to death.

Gunner

My post was an attempt to offer insight and guidance about what a
responsible armed civilian must know, what restraint he or she must
exercise, and why Mr. Fish might have landed in prison even in
Arizona.

You respond by yet again expressing your contempt for the .380ACP. You
seem to have a strong need to do that. I heard you the first time.

Mr. Fish apparently shared your attitude. He shot and killed Mr
Kuenzli with a 10mm (.40 cal). He went to prison and incurred half a
mil of legal expenses, but nobody can say he didn't have enough gun
the day he killed Mr. K.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Shooting a couple dogs with a .380...tends to **** off the dogs and lets
the owner beat you to death.

Gunner

My post was an attempt to offer insight and guidance about what a
responsible armed civilian must know, what restraint he or she must
exercise, and why Mr. Fish might have landed in prison even in
Arizona.

You respond by yet again expressing your contempt for the .380ACP. You
seem to have a strong need to do that. I heard you the first time.

Mr. Fish apparently shared your attitude. He shot and killed Mr
Kuenzli with a 10mm (.40 cal). He went to prison and incurred half a
mil of legal expenses, but nobody can say he didn't have enough gun
the day he killed Mr. K.

A .380 in the brain will correct that...

In the end, Gunner will not figure it out.

Sad, but true...

Shooting at some one running away will almost always land you in jail.

Gee, I wonder why???

Could it be that thy are not a threat to life and limb???

???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Shooting a couple dogs with a .380...tends to **** off the dogs and lets
the owner beat you to death.

Gunner

My post was an attempt to offer insight and guidance about what a
responsible armed civilian must know, what restraint he or she must
exercise, and why Mr. Fish might have landed in prison even in
Arizona.

You respond by yet again expressing your contempt for the .380ACP. You
seem to have a strong need to do that. I heard you the first time.

Mr. Fish apparently shared your attitude. He shot and killed Mr
Kuenzli with a 10mm (.40 cal). He went to prison and incurred half a
mil of legal expenses, but nobody can say he didn't have enough gun
the day he killed Mr. K.

The 40 obviously was a good enough tool for the job.

So why do people carry the poodle caliber?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:42:22 -0700

I thought he was almost exclusively into horses.

SW , Who will automatically back up from a well made drill pipe corral
when the horse comes close to eat carrots and sugar cubes from other
people.

Crom...why?????

While horses are slightly dumber than the average dog..they are as a
group, are well behaved critters who generally like people.

You know that, maybe even the horse knows that. But the monkey in
the back of my head which nervous around Big Animals with Big Teeth,
he don't know that. Someday, I shall have to talk to him about that.
(I recognized that 'issue' years ago, when my SO - five foot nothing,
but a good ol' gal - wanted to "pet the horsey" after asking why he
was putting in "a lighter horse at wheeler." (And no, I don't know
what she was talking about either, 'cept that it had something to do
with harnessing up four horses for a team at the State Fair.). "Come
one over, pet the horsey" - and that was when I realized, I was not
able to overcome that monkeybrained fear of big critters. Sigh,
well, I already knew I wasn't Macho Man...

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Shooting a couple dogs with a .380...tends to **** off the dogs and lets
the owner beat you to death.

Gunner

My post was an attempt to offer insight and guidance about what a
responsible armed civilian must know, what restraint he or she must
exercise, and why Mr. Fish might have landed in prison even in
Arizona.

You respond by yet again expressing your contempt for the .380ACP. You
seem to have a strong need to do that. I heard you the first time.

Mr. Fish apparently shared your attitude. He shot and killed Mr
Kuenzli with a 10mm (.40 cal). He went to prison and incurred half a
mil of legal expenses, but nobody can say he didn't have enough gun
the day he killed Mr. K.

A .380 in the brain will correct that...

In the end, Gunner will not figure it out.

Sad, but true...

I know of two people who are still alive today after being shot in the
skull with a .380.

Shrug

And having your heart cut out with a chain saw is generally fatal as
well.

Now figure the chances of neing able to put a .380 in the brain when
needed in a gun fight, or being required to cut out someones heart with
a chain saw.

Shrug

Shooting at some one running away will almost always land you in jail.

As I recall..the dead guy in Aridzona was shot in the front of his body,
not the back.

Gee, I wonder why???

Could it be that thy are not a threat to life and limb???

???

Perhaps you should review the evidence and the autopsy results?

Then get back to me, ok?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Hummm...I let my membership in the PRCA go in 1998, when I finally
figured out I was simply to ****ing old to ride broncs and bulls
anymore.

But I still do a bit of team penning here and there when a team needs a
fillin.

Was off horseback for hummm...10 months after the surgery..then got back
on again 9 months ago.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:44:06 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote the following:

Hummm...I let my membership in the PRCA

People's Republic of China Acquestrians?

(Sorry, Swiney, hadda do it. I know "equestrian" is spelled like
this.)

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

http://www.startribune.com/nation/97771134.html

I thought I hit the spell checker, that was send.

Anyhow, I thought you where into horses, but couldn't recall for sure.

Soon I'm going to have to pin up a note for you.

Bush was a great president.

Horses are nice, well behaved critters.

Dogs, well you know...

SW

Oh yeah, the article. The horses got spooked after they rubbed heads
and one's bridle fell off, look the sky is falling. To each their own.

Maybe one to pin up for me.

Cops are bad people.

Most dogs suck.

Horses are dangerous.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:40:51 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

And having your heart cut out with a chain saw is generally fatal as
well.

Now figure the chances of neing able to put a .380 in the brain when
needed in a gun fight, or being required to cut out someones heart with
a chain saw.

Carrying a chainsaw would be even more inconvenient than carrying a
..45. Does anyone even make a holster for a Husqvarna?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:37:10 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Mr. Fish apparently shared your attitude. He shot and killed Mr
Kuenzli with a 10mm (.40 cal). He went to prison and incurred half a
mil of legal expenses, but nobody can say he didn't have enough gun
the day he killed Mr. K.

The 40 obviously was a good enough tool for the job.

So why do people carry the poodle caliber?

Gunner

Why don't you carry a .500 magnum or a .454 Casul?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know of two people who are still alive today after being shot in the
skull with a .380.

Shrug

Did either of them beat anyone to death right after being shot in the
head?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know of two people who are still alive today after being shot in the
skull with a .380.

Shrug

Did either of them beat anyone to death right after being shot in the
head?

You're really rising to some stinky bait here, Don. You must be part
catfish. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/14/2010 1:37 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

The 40 obviously was a good enough tool for the job.

So why do people carry the poodle caliber?

Gunner

We all know you're a slow learner.

People

carry

..380

pistol

because

they

can't

conceal

larger

pistol.

Not

all

of

us

are

fat

slobs

who

can

conceal

..45

Backup.

Was that slow enough for you?

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And having your heart cut out with a chain saw is generally fatal as
well.

Now figure the chances of neing able to put a .380 in the brain when
needed in a gun fight, or being required to cut out someones heart with
a chain saw.

Carrying a chainsaw would be even more inconvenient than carrying a
.45. Does anyone even make a holster for a Husqvarna?

Everyone here in the North Woods carries. Here's mine.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...SawCarrier.jpg

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...ense21-ON.html

Yes, sometimes it does. Occasionally, being incapable of self defense
goes even worse for hikers that are perceived by punks as easy prey.
Pick yer pony, take yer ride.

I won't presume to second-guess the Arizona story, other than to note
that Mr. Fish fired "warning shots". A person in imminent danger of
mortal or grave bodily harm does not fire warning shots.

If he truly believed that a snarling dog presented imminent threat of
grave personal injury and retreat was not an option, then a reasonable
man might have shot the dog forthwith. If a civil court later found
his belief of the moment to be unreasonable then it probably would
have cost him a bunch of money. Life ain't always fair and is never
free for responsibile citizens.

I'm trying to run down if I listened to this on the ProArms Podcast or Libertywatch radio.
For those that haven't killed this thread, it might be interesting listening.

I also contacted the host of Libertywatch Radio incase he has info he can put in a
subsequent podcast. I'd like to know more.

I kept looking http://proarmspodcast.com/2009/01/04...old-fish-case/

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And having your heart cut out with a chain saw is generally fatal as
well.

Now figure the chances of neing able to put a .380 in the brain when
needed in a gun fight, or being required to cut out someones heart with
a chain saw.

Carrying a chainsaw would be even more inconvenient than carrying a
.45. Does anyone even make a holster for a Husqvarna?

Everyone here in the North Woods carries. Here's mine.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...SawCarrier.jpg

Do you cut heating firewood off of public lands?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/14/2010 1:16 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:

(...)

Everyone here in the North Woods carries. Here's mine.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...SawCarrier.jpg

"What hump?"

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Carrying a chainsaw would be even more inconvenient than carrying a
.45. Does anyone even make a holster for a Husqvarna?

Everyone here in the North Woods carries. Here's mine.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...SawCarrier.jpg

Do you cut heating firewood off of public lands?

The saw carrier is for trail maintenance at the preserve where I serve
as steward. I realized pretty quickly that there had to be a better
way of hiking with a chainsaw than with the bar on your shoulder.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And having your heart cut out with a chain saw is generally fatal as
well.

Now figure the chances of neing able to put a .380 in the brain when
needed in a gun fight, or being required to cut out someones heart with
a chain saw.

Carrying a chainsaw would be even more inconvenient than carrying a
.45. Does anyone even make a holster for a Husqvarna?

Oddly enough..while Im not a tiny guy..I carry a .45 about my person
vertually every day and no one ever notices it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=178990515
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=179103474
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=179063127

My Husky on the other hand...its Heavy!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Mr. Fish apparently shared your attitude. He shot and killed Mr
Kuenzli with a 10mm (.40 cal). He went to prison and incurred half a
mil of legal expenses, but nobody can say he didn't have enough gun
the day he killed Mr. K.

The 40 obviously was a good enough tool for the job.

So why do people carry the poodle caliber?

Gunner

Why don't you carry a .500 magnum or a .454 Casul?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=179063127

Because they are far too big in ballistics and frame size. Even bigger
than a nice 1911.

While some guns are too small..others are too big.
Same reason I dont carry my Automag.

Shrug..you didnt know this?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know of two people who are still alive today after being shot in the
skull with a .380.

Shrug

Did either of them beat anyone to death right after being shot in the
head?

Nope. One went down for about 10 minutes..the other simply shook it off
(graze) and ran away.

Neither of them were alone, and other parties in their group had to be
shot as well.

In one case..the shooter was killed, the other case..the bad guys were
mobbed by other friends of the shooter.

But..the point is..well..you know.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:22:40 -0500, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

[...]

So
you
are
only
3
feet
tall
?

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My skill hangs off my belt when I want. It is an arbor saw - 7 pounds.
High speed and small cutters. Slices and dices.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

And having your heart cut out with a chain saw is generally fatal as
well.

Now figure the chances of neing able to put a .380 in the brain when
needed in a gun fight, or being required to cut out someones heart with
a chain saw.

Carrying a chainsaw would be even more inconvenient than carrying a
.45. Does anyone even make a holster for a Husqvarna?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Oddly enough..while Im not a tiny guy..I carry a .45 about my person
vertually every day and no one ever notices it.

If Gunner carries a .45 around all day but there is nobody there
to see it, does it still count?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Gunner Asch wrote:

Oddly enough..while Im not a tiny guy..I carry a .45 about my person
vertually every day and no one ever notices it.

If Gunner carries a .45 around all day but there is nobody there
to see it, does it still count?

Only if he falls in the woods.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And having your heart cut out with a chain saw is generally fatal as
well.

Now figure the chances of neing able to put a .380 in the brain when
needed in a gun fight, or being required to cut out someones heart with
a chain saw.

Carrying a chainsaw would be even more inconvenient than carrying a
.45. Does anyone even make a holster for a Husqvarna?

Everyone here in the North Woods carries. Here's mine.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...SawCarrier.jpg

Very nicely done!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:45:54 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Oddly enough..while Im not a tiny guy..I carry a .45 about my person
vertually every day and no one ever notices it.

If Gunner carries a .45 around all day but there is nobody there
to see it, does it still count?

Not the slightest bit.

Except for that warm fuzzy feeling it gives Gunner

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:23:01 -0700
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Oddly enough..while Im not a tiny guy..I carry a .45 about my person
vertually every day and no one ever notices it.

If Gunner carries a .45 around all day but there is nobody there
to see it, does it still count?

Not the slightest bit.

Except for that warm fuzzy feeling it gives Gunner

Some folks _are_ just calmer, going about armed.

Personality differences, involving self confidence, modern labor
saving devices, the usual.

pyotr