Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default On the trail anecdote

While on my hike today, a woman on a bicycle approached me.
Middle-aged, attractive. She wondered if I could help her with
orientation, direct her to how she could get where she wanted to go. I
could and did. I know the local trail system quite well.

I asked her if she felt safe riding the trails alone. She said that
she was a little apprehensive about that but couldn't always find a
friend available to accompany her when she wanted to ride. I think I
succeeded in not staring at her lovely tits more than she wanted them
noticed and appreciated.

I noted that seniors approaching 70 might be regarded as easy prey so
I carry a sidearm on my walks. I don't expect to ever use it but I
definitely feel better having it with me.

She gave me a very long look and then said, "I'm glad you said that!
Thank you! I do feel vulnerable but thought that carrying a gun
might seem silly to others." She's right about that, but those others
won't be there to help her if she should ever be accosted while riding
alone. I didn't say anything to that effect, she'll make her own
choices. "I only recently started wearing a helmet while riding. Now
I think I will look into taking responsibity for my safety when riding
alone."

That was that, I bade her nice ride and good afternoon. I didn't show
her my piece or make any recommendations other than which turn to take
to get back to East River Road near Rice Creek.

Truth be told, I do occasionally feel slightly ridiculous when I put a
handgun into my pocket for my walks. But I'd feel a whole lot more
ridiculous having a fairly respectable collection of handguns at home
but nothing with which to defend myself if accosted by opportunistic
predatory punks on the trail.