Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Celebrate our Freedoms, this fourth of July

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:38:25 -0700, Hawke
wrote:

I hope this message gets past the Department
of Homeland security approved internet filter.
How else can they protect us from unauthorized
thought?

Now go out and celebrate your independence and
have a great Independence Day!

what's funny is how conservatives are always going around shooting off
their mouths about how America is so great, so awesome, is the greatest
country in the history of the world. But then when I hear all your
complaints about how lousy things are all I can think is what
hypocrites. After that rant one can only take home the belief that
America really sucks. Is that what you are saying? America isn't any
good any more and the truth is it stinks here for most of us. Because if
that's what you mean I have to agree.

Hawke

Perhaps focus on what needs to be fixed and how we (as opposed to
"they") should fix it would be more productive than partisan zeolotry
in either direction.

If you don't like being an American, it is quite possible to emigrate
and it's easy to renounce your U.S. citizenship you have by birthright
if you regard it with contempt and disdain.

You might well find the politics in the UK more to your liking, though
you'd need to leave your guns and sharp blades behind. Perhaps a
minor concession.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

what's funny is how conservatives are always going around shooting off
their mouths about how America is so great, so awesome, is the greatest
country in the history of the world. But then when I hear all your
complaints about how lousy things are all I can think is what
hypocrites. After that rant one can only take home the belief that
America really sucks. Is that what you are saying? America isn't any
good any more and the truth is it stinks here for most of us. Because if
that's what you mean I have to agree.

Hawke

Perhaps focus on what needs to be fixed and how we (as opposed to
"they") should fix it would be more productive than partisan zeolotry
in either direction.

So now the partisan seditionists are giving lessons on being a good
citizen? Methinks that your advice is about as valuable and sincere as
our resident deadbeat windbag's.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. After that rant one can only take home the belief that
America really sucks. Is that what you are saying? America isn't any
good any more and the truth is it stinks here for most of us. Because if
that's what you mean I have to agree.

Hawke

So now the partisan seditionists are giving lessons on being a good
citizen? Methinks that your advice is about as valuable and sincere as
our resident deadbeat windbag's.

Wayne

If Hawke really believes that it stinks here, he ought to look around
and see if there is anyplace that he would like better. I don't think
he will find a place he would like better, but looking might make him
feel better about where he lives.

One can find lots of faults with the U.S., but it is hard to find a
place that is better.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 5, 2:31*pm, Hawke wrote:

I've already lived my whole life here and it's too late to go someplace
else. But I can tell you that Canada, Australia, Spain, and Italy all
sound like good places to live to me. If I was younger I might have gone
elsewhere just like wealthy Americans like Johnny Depp and Madonna have
done.

I think it's very screwed up here, which
is why you don't hear me saying how great America is. Because I don't
think it is except for the lucky few. It needs a lot of work before I'd
go around praising it. Unlike some folks who say it's the greatest and
then go out to protest how bad things are.

Hawke

So why is it too late to go somewhere else?

See if you can find the book " Making Great Decisions in Business and
Life " by Henderson and Hooper. Well worth reading. Might be at your
library, or you might suggest they get a copy. Or get a used copy.
Anyway they have some good examples of sunk costs and how they should
affect decision making.

And note you have not read anything that I have posted protesting how
bad things are. I think I must be one of those that you consider the
lucky few. I do not consider it all luck and seem to know a bunch of
people that are doing well.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

what's funny is how conservatives are always going around shooting off
their mouths about how America is so great, so awesome, is the greatest
country in the history of the world. But then when I hear all your
complaints about how lousy things are all I can think is what
hypocrites. After that rant one can only take home the belief that
America really sucks. Is that what you are saying? America isn't any
good any more and the truth is it stinks here for most of us. Because if
that's what you mean I have to agree.

Hawke

America tries to be good. I'm about to leave for a while and watch Black Hawk Down, an
indictment on how fickle our allies are and how worthless some of our elected leaders are.
I was going to watch it yesterday on the 4th of July but I could not locate it. Clint
Eastwoods 'Blood Work' was excellent outside of his firearm handling. America tries to do
the right thing, we are a super power of sorts though we are in decline.

Perhaps focus on what needs to be fixed and how we (as opposed to
"they") should fix it would be more productive than partisan zeolotry
in either direction.

If you don't like being an American, it is quite possible to emigrate
and it's easy to renounce your U.S. citizenship you have by birthright
if you regard it with contempt and disdain.

Only a fool would renounce the gift of being an American. Assuming Hawke is an American,
he knows that.

You might well find the politics in the UK more to your liking, though
you'd need to leave your guns and sharp blades behind. Perhaps a
minor concession.

I suspect the UK has standards set by a conservative administration, he might not be able
to get in now.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. After that rant one can only take home the belief that
America really sucks. Is that what you are saying? America isn't any
good any more and the truth is it stinks here for most of us. Because if
that's what you mean I have to agree.

Hawke

So now the partisan seditionists are giving lessons on being a good
citizen? Methinks that your advice is about as valuable and sincere as
our resident deadbeat windbag's.

Wayne

If Hawke really believes that it stinks here,

He's only telling it like it is. And he's not going so far as a lot of
other folks who post here. You know, the ones who complain that
democracy is so bad that if they don't get their way in the next
election, then they intend to dispense with democracy altogether. Of
course, that remedy is nothing more than their wet dreams, so in the
meantime they tell lesser complainers to leave. Which is perhaps what
they themselves would do if they weren't dependant on the social
services they claim to hate. I'd be willing to pay for some one-way
tickets to Somalia so that a couple of the most deluded crackpots
could report back on what it's like to walk their talk.

he ought to look around
and see if there is anyplace that he would like better. I don't think
he will find a place he would like better, but looking might make him
feel better about where he lives.

One can find lots of faults with the U.S., but it is hard to find a
place that is better.

As I said, there are many who complain much louder. How many of *them*
have you given the same advice? Most likely zero. So all that you and
foreman have accomplished with your straw man is to advertise your
double standards. When and if you guys come out strong against
sedition, then sensible readers might take you seriously.

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 5, 8:33*pm, wrote:

[...]

Since I am posting on the Internet, my advice can be read by all. So
I consider that I have given the same advice to all.

Now what is this crap about double standards? Explain what you think
are my double standards or quit posting such crap.

Also what is this crap about sedition and why are you obsessed with
sedition?
And why do you try to connect sedition to anything that I have
posted? It seems to be a non sequitur.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 18:31:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 5, 8:33*pm, wrote:

[...]

It is a non sequitur. Most of his posts are. He's a troll, Dan,
trying to provoke a response because he's anxious for a new bicker
buddy. He doesn't seem to be having much luck with that lately.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:05:24 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

I also am quite happy to be an American, but I have friends and
relatives who are quite happy living in other countries. Some of them
have lived here so they definitely have a valid basis of comparison.

You might well find the politics in the UK more to your liking, though
you'd need to leave your guns and sharp blades behind. Perhaps a
minor concession.

I suspect the UK has standards set by a conservative administration, he might not be able
to get in now.

Wes

If he has a skill they want, his politics would be no problem at all.
He'd fit right in.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jul 5, 8:33*pm, wrote:

[...]

That's pretty lame if you only speak up in regards to Hawke,
especially since you weren't willing to debate any of his points
sincerely. Clearly other posters have out-complained him hundreds to
one. Can you show some posts where you advised any of those folks that
they should consider leaving? I doubt it.

Now what is this crap about double standards? Explain what you think
are my double standards or quit posting such crap.

I reread my previous comments. They're pretty clear, so if you haven't
gotten it by now then you're probably not going to.

Also what is this crap about sedition and why are you obsessed with
sedition?

Again, there are several posters in this newsgroup who are obviously
just fine with sedition. Gummer talks about his cull daily, and
foreman (whose comments you echoed) claims to be on a list of
seditionists. Nobody doubts where some of us stand on that issue, but
weasels like foreman prefer to talk around it as if it's too
complicated to state his position in plain English.

And why do you try to connect sedition to anything that I have
posted?
It seems to be a non sequitur.

Nope. Here are a couple of simple statement that most of us can make:
"I'm against sedition in no uncertain terms" " If we're going to
invite citizens to leave, then we should start with seditionists" Do
you agree or disagree?

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jul 5, 8:33*pm, wrote:

[...]

BS.

Don Foreman: "Gunner did include me on a list of potential
participants"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...2881347afb4e0f

If you'd like readers to believe that you're against sedition, then
feel free to explain why your name is on a list of would-be
seditionists. Why haven't you done that long before now? If you
believe that there's nothing wrong with it, then why does gummer deny
it, and why do you keep talking around the issue? Any normal person
would be mortified to be involved in the "great cull" in any way, and
would say that in plain English. Yet you cannot do the same. Why is
that? What a weasel.

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/5/2010 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for making my point. You and others you know are doing well. Take
a look around at the number of foreclosures. Every one of those
represents a family being ruined. They have lost their jobs and their
houses. Do you think there are more of them or more like you and your
bunch that are doing well? Those are people just losing real property.
There are millions that really do have nothing and others who have lost
huge chunks of their assets. You add it up and the picture looks like a
casino. You have a very small number of winners who are "doing well" but
you have millions who are living desperately poor lives. Then you look
at the environmental decline, our massive debt, and at the crumbling
infrastructure and you see a country in decline. The thing that is
really bad about this is it didn't have to be this way. These problems
were brought about by bad management not bad luck. Take a look at Canada
and then compare them to us. They have managed their country well. Our
badly run country is in bad shape and is in decline. When Tea partiers
point out how bad off we are no one says boo. If I say the place stinks
I'm unpatriotic. Well, it doesn't work that way. The facts are the
facts. Is it bad here for most people now? I'd say yes. Are the lucky
few living great, yes. So sue me for being honest...and consistent.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you don't like being an American, it is quite possible to emigrate
and it's easy to renounce your U.S. citizenship you have by birthright
if you regard it with contempt and disdain.

Only a fool would renounce the gift of being an American. Assuming Hawke is an American,
he knows that.

I also am quite happy to be an American, but I have friends and
relatives who are quite happy living in other countries. Some of them
have lived here so they definitely have a valid basis of comparison.

My point exactly. A lot of ignorant Americans just can't comprehend that
anyone would want to live anywhere else but here. But as you point out
you know people who have chosen to live other places and I doubt they
did it because they are insane. America is not perfect, by a long shot.
Many people wouldn't want to live here. I'm too old to just pack up and
move to another country, especially one where I don't speak the
language. If I was younger and had the financial ability I may have
moved to another country. In fact, I'd move to Canada except for one
thing. I hate the cold. No way am I going to move north of the U.S.
border. Now Italy, that's another story. I'm simply pointing out what
others are saying but I'm not being a hypocrite about it.

If you hear Tea Party members saying the country is in the dumps or the
governor of Texas talk about seceding from the union then it's clear
some people don't like America the way it is. The problem is these same
people who say we are in dire straights and are heading into oblivion
then turn around and say we're the greatest country. I say it can't be
both. If it's so bad it needs a lot of work then it's not really that
great. You don't change something when it's great you change things when
they are bad.

You might well find the politics in the UK more to your liking, though
you'd need to leave your guns and sharp blades behind. Perhaps a
minor concession.

I suspect the UK has standards set by a conservative administration, he might not be able
to get in now.

Wes

If he has a skill they want, his politics would be no problem at all.
He'd fit right in.

Do you know how they feel about American retirees in the U.K.? Because
that's my skill set. I would feel right at home politically, probably.
But again, England is too cold and damp. But here's a question for you
all. If you were young and had some money and could go anywhere in the
world to live your life, how many of you would choose someplace other
than America to live? Believe it or not there are a lot of nice places
in the world to live besides the U.S.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hawke wrote:

If he has a skill they want, his politics would be no problem at all.
He'd fit right in.

Do you know how they feel about American retirees in the U.K.? Because
that's my skill set. I would feel right at home politically, probably.
But again, England is too cold and damp. But here's a question for you
all. If you were young and had some money and could go anywhere in the
world to live your life, how many of you would choose someplace other
than America to live? Believe it or not there are a lot of nice places
in the world to live besides the U.S.

Hawke, there are a lot of nice places to live in the USA also. Your idea of what is nice
likely varies from mine. For example, Louisiana is paradise for some, that would be a
sweat hole for me. I loved Colorado and really enjoyed Texas but without the extended
family with me, I'm going no where but Michigan. Really, my part of Michigan is a ****
hole, nobody needs to come up here. Too many people ruin their paradise by bragging
about it to outlanders.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 6, 10:14*am, wrote:

That's pretty lame if you only speak up in regards to Hawke,
especially since you weren't willing to debate any of his points
sincerely. Clearly other posters have out-complained him hundreds to
one. Can you show some posts where you advised any of those folks that
they should consider leaving? I doubt it.

I do not read most of what is posted here. Too many posters that I
consider such idiots that replying to them is pointless. But Hawke
generally posts things in his own words and although I often disagree,
at least he worth reading. I was not advising him to consider moving
from the U.S. I was advising him to think how the U.S. compares to
other places. He says "America isn't any good any more and the truth
is it stinks here for most of us. Because if that's what you mean I
have to agree. " And my response was

"If Hawke really believes that it stinks here, he ought to look
around
and see if there is anyplace that he would like better. I don't think
he will find a place he would like better, but looking might make him
feel better about where he lives.

One can find lots of faults with the U.S., but it is hard to find a
place that is better. "

So I can not show where I advised anyone including Hawke to consider
leaving.

Too bad your reading comprehension did not permit you to understand.

Now what is this crap about double standards? *Explain what you think
are my double standards or quit posting such crap.

I reread my previous comments. They're pretty clear, so if you haven't
gotten it by now then you're probably not going to.

In other words you can not explain what you think are my double
standards.

[...]

This has no relevance to anything. It is in the same class as why
have you not posted that you are against beating your wife. Just not
relevant to anything that previously posted.

So you can now jump up and down as much as you want. I am not going
to bother reading your posts. Beam me up Scotty. There is no
intelligent life down here.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:01:48 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Hawke wrote:

[...]

Oh fer shur, eh?

Gunner, raised in the Copper Country

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:34:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 6, 10:14*am, wrote:

That's pretty lame if you only speak up in regards to Hawke,
especially since you weren't willing to debate any of his points
sincerely. Clearly other posters have out-complained him hundreds to
one. Can you show some posts where you advised any of those folks that
they should consider leaving? I doubt it.

I do not read most of what is posted here. Too many posters that I
consider such idiots that replying to them is pointless.

Well gosh, you just never noticed all the complaining and daily talk
of the great cull, huh? Is that your story? What a joke.

[...]

C'mon!

Too bad your reading comprehension did not permit you to understand.

Exactly as I said, you're still not willing to debate his points, but
instead take a "shoot the messenger" approach.

Now what is this crap about double standards? *Explain what you think
are my double standards or quit posting such crap.

I reread my previous comments. They're pretty clear, so if you haven't
gotten it by now then you're probably not going to.

In other words you can not explain what you think are my double
standards.

IOW, you're not going to debate any of my points either.

[...]

Baloney. Talk around the issue all you like, but if you have time to
give advice here, then why not one single word about the seditionists?
Is it really so hard to take a stand on such a simple issue? Yes, it
is for those who want to have it several ways - pretending to be in
favor of democracy, yet maintaining the right to overrule it with
violence should they not like the results, while also implying that
they'd never be a part of any such action, but not willing to say that
in plain English even if it only requires a single word. Phony and
transparent.

So you can now jump up and down as much as you want. I am not going
to bother reading your posts.

LOL Do you know how many people have said the same thing, and then
responded to one of my posts a short time later? I expect that you're
just one more.

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/6/2010 3:01 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I've been all over the U.S. and I've found a lot of places I would like
to live, and have. But I'm talking about other nations. I just saw one
of those shows on home buying/restoring/renovating on TV. This one had
an English couple that were looking at homes in Spain that they were
going to buy for their retirement. It looked really nice. They found a
very nice home there but I was shocked they paid in the 400K range for
it. My point is lots of Europe is real nice. Parts of Spain, Italy, the
south of France all are beautiful. Germany and Switzerland too. My
problem is the language. No way am I ever going to learn a new language
at my age. But the thing is that America is a good place to live but so
are many other places too, and it seems like Americans think everyone's
life outside America is real bad. The truth is the rest of the world is
catching up with us and more and more places are as good as we have
here. So where else would people choose to live if not in America?

Hawke