Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Effect of "I do not call 911" stickers?

We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I assume most burglars are probably already aware that about half of
all homes contain guns. I also assume that most of them know to wait
until no one's home (at lest the ones that have lived very long at
it).

I'm not convinced these stickers/signs make much difference either
way.

"Intruders will be raped and then eaten."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Fishel wrote:
I assume most burglars are probably already aware that about half of
all homes contain guns. I also assume that most of them know to wait
until no one's home (at lest the ones that have lived very long at
it).

I'm not convinced these stickers/signs make much difference either
way.

"Intruders will be raped and then eaten."

My all time favorite is

"Trespassers will be violated".

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 24, 9:42*pm, cavelamb wrote:
Larry Fishel wrote:
I assume most burglars are probably already aware that about half of
all homes contain guns. I also assume that most of them know to wait
until no one's home (at lest the ones that have lived very long at
it).

I'm not convinced these stickers/signs make much difference either
way.

"Intruders will be raped and then eaten."

My all time favorite is

"Trespassers will be violated".

--

Richard Lamb

About thirty years ago I saw a handmade sign in a run down area with
the message "Thieves will be castrated."

DL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Ignoramus13363 wrote:
We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

Dunno about that... but I remember reading, years ago, about a store owner who
was fed up with breakins in the middle of the night. His solution was to post
a sign reading "This store protected by shotgun three nights a week -- YOU
GUESS WHICH THREE"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:39:17 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Ignoramus13363 wrote:

We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

It could go either way. If the thieves are hitting unoccupied houses
(while the homeowners are at work), it might not be a god idea to
advertise such attractive contents.

Paint a chalk outline on the front steps. ;-)

http://www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/001828.html

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13363 wrote:

We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Do not call attention to yourself or your house in any way. Do whatever
you can to ensure that your neighbor's house is an easier target, i.e.
better locks, better lighting, surveillance cameras, etc. Dialing 911 or
not dialing 911 only work when you are home, so unless you are home
24x365 they are empty threats.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13363" wrote in message
news
We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Given the way the courts are ruling these days, why give some young
ADA, eager to make a name for themselves, any ammo to prosecute
you?
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:12:43 -0500, Ignoramus13363
wrote:

We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Might work for just kidding bluff. If you might actually shoot an
invader, the perp's attorney in the almost certain resulting civil
suit will thank you kindly for such a display because it prolaims
belligerent disdain of police and civil authority.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:
I assume most burglars are probably already aware that about half of
all homes contain guns. I also assume that most of them know to wait
until no one's home (at lest the ones that have lived very long at
it).

I'm not convinced these stickers/signs make much difference either
way.

"Intruders will be raped and then eaten."

My all time favorite is

"Trespassers will be violated".

Or the faded old, hand painted sign on a farm fence: 'Trespassers
will be prostituted'.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

cavelamb wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:
I assume most burglars are probably already aware that about half of
all homes contain guns. I also assume that most of them know to wait
until no one's home (at lest the ones that have lived very long at
it).

I'm not convinced these stickers/signs make much difference either
way.

"Intruders will be raped and then eaten."

My all time favorite is

"Trespassers will be violated".

Or the faded old, hand painted sign on a farm fence: 'Trespassers
will be prostituted'.

--

A British research lab was being broken into a lot. They put up a sign
saying: "Trespassers will be experimented upon". The break-ins ended.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A friend who was burgled made up stickers for his windows with "I hate
you *******s" on them. Well, made him feel better.

Jordan

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Or the faded old, hand painted sign on a farm fence: 'Trespassers
will be prostituted'.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13363 wrote:
We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns
inside?

I'd rather have one that says "What the dogs leave will be fed to the
pig." Did you know that a full grown pig can consume flesh at the rate of
4.5 pounds per minute ? Cut thru bones like butter ...
As others have said , the fewer people who know you have guns the better .
Unless , of course , you have a couple of rather large and well trained dogs
(I do ...) to keep an eye on things (they do ...) when you're not at home .
--
Snag
A practice silhouette with

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-25, Artemus wrote:

"Ignoramus13363" wrote in message
news
We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Given the way the courts are ruling these days, why give some young
ADA, eager to make a name for themselves, any ammo to prosecute
you?

prosecute me for what?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-25, Robert Swinney wrote:
Or, as they say in Oklahoma, "Come on in - make my day"

Oklahoma has a great "make my day" law. It fully shields homeowners
from any liability (criminal or civil) under well defined
circumstances.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...p?citeID=69782

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/24/2010 07:12 PM, Ignoramus13363 wrote:
We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Were I a thief I'd take it as just so much bloviating and I'd make sure
I looked for the guns while I was trashing your house.

But then, even if I had no conscience I have better things to do with my
time than steal a bunch of your crap that I don't need and can't sell --
particularly when I'd have to drive all the way to Illinois to do it.
So what do I know?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13363 wrote:
We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Here's my plan:

1. A dog that loves to bark.

2. A box on the side of the house that looks
like a security controller.

3. Never and I mean never let papers, collection
bags, etc, build up on the porch or front yard
longer than 8 hours.

Unless I'm targeted for some reason, there's
about a 100% chance that a burglar would look
for (and find) a tastier victim on my block.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jordan wrote:

A friend who was burgled made up stickers for his windows with "I hate
you *******s" on them. Well, made him feel better.

How about a signpost with pointers to the local graveyards, and the
distance to each? ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

Ignoramus13363 wrote:
We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Here's my plan:

1. A dog that loves to bark.

2. A box on the side of the house that looks
like a security controller.

3. Never and I mean never let papers, collection
bags, etc, build up on the porch or front yard
longer than 8 hours.

Unless I'm targeted for some reason, there's
about a 100% chance that a burglar would look
for (and find) a tastier victim on my block.

A couple of thoughts on Jim Stewarts (above) post:

1) I don't have dog... just don't have the time to properly care for
one. But I do have a couple of beware of dog signs, two large beat up
stainless steel dog bowls and a couple of tennis balls. I keep the bowls
near the back end of my driveway where anyone looking over the gate
can't miss them. The balls are also kept in view... and all are moved
around regularly.

2) As far as papers and flyers accumulating... yes have someone you
trust remove them regularly. However, as far as stopping newspapers and
mail goes, I don't think this such a good idea. Through the years there
have been numerous burglars and burglary rings found to have operated on
inside info from postal and newspaper employees. Same deal with
'notifying' alarm company's you'll be gone.

In cold country, have your trusted friend keep your snow tracked up as
well.

The less people that know your business the better... as Jim said above,
if you make the little burglar ******* uncomfortable, he'll likely look
elsewhere unless he has a specific reason to target you.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/24/2010 11:39 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
911"

Dunno about that... but I remember reading, years ago, about a store owner who
was fed up with breakins in the middle of the night. His solution was to post
a sign reading "This store protected by shotgun three nights a week -- YOU
GUESS WHICH THREE"

The way I heard it- An old guy was tired of having his hunting cabin
broken into. He put up a sign:

Set guns are illegal
So is trespassing
I've made my choice
Now you make yours

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:

The way I heard it- An old guy was tired of having his hunting cabin
broken into. He put up a sign:

Set guns are illegal
So is trespassing
I've made my choice
Now you make yours

I like that one.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13363 wrote:

Given the way the courts are ruling these days, why give some young
ADA, eager to make a name for themselves, any ammo to prosecute
you?

prosecute me for what?

The implied threat that burgulars will be killed. They have rights you know. (Too many).

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

wrote:

We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

Might work for just kidding bluff. If you might actually shoot an
invader, the perp's attorney in the almost certain resulting civil
suit will thank you kindly for such a display because it prolaims
belligerent disdain of police and civil authority.

Some folks might shoot the perp's family, attorney, and ADA, too.
In for a penny...

The Henry Bowman Philosophy: After the first one, the rest are free?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We had a burglary in our neighborhood, which was kind of unexpected,
and it made me wonder: if I put a few stickers on my house saying "I
don't call 911"

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_dont_cal...cker,388161391

Would it deter burglars or would they actually want to go in to try to
steal guns, assuming that there is no such stocker without guns inside?

I vote for nothing.

If the balloting is for the cutest sign, i vote for "Shoot, Shovel and
Shutup Security Co."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:
I assume most burglars are probably already aware that about half of
all homes contain guns. I also assume that most of them know to wait
until no one's home (at lest the ones that have lived very long at
it).

I'm not convinced these stickers/signs make much difference either
way.

"Intruders will be raped and then eaten."

My all time favorite is

"Trespassers will be violated".

Or the faded old, hand painted sign on a farm fence: 'Trespassers
will be prostituted'.

--

A British research lab was being broken into a lot. They put up a sign
saying: "Trespassers will be experimented upon". The break-ins ended.

Did the lab research 'British Food'? ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:
I assume most burglars are probably already aware that about half of
all homes contain guns. I also assume that most of them know to wait
until no one's home (at lest the ones that have lived very long at
it).

I'm not convinced these stickers/signs make much difference either
way.

"Intruders will be raped and then eaten."

My all time favorite is

"Trespassers will be violated".

Or the faded old, hand painted sign on a farm fence: 'Trespassers
will be prostituted'.

--

A British research lab was being broken into a lot. They put up a sign
saying: "Trespassers will be experimented upon". The break-ins ended.

Did the lab research 'British Food'? ;-)

Suggested sign: Captured trespassers will be sold to laboratories to
replace animals.

(Well, they *are* somewhat closer to human than your average rat, aren't
they?)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:24:35 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

Suggested sign: Captured trespassers will be sold to laboratories to
replace animals.

(Well, they *are* somewhat closer to human than your average rat, aren't
they?)

Trespassers with malicious intent are closer to rats than your average
human.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Husvar wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:
[...]

If you can sell them in the dark, and the lab doesn't get a good look
first.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.