Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Having a home shop means...

--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Having a home shop means...

-- I can use $10,000 worth of tools to make a 45-cent bushing I could have
bought on my way home from work at the local lawnmower shop.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Having a home shop means...

-- I can use $10,000 worth of tools to make a 45-cent bushing I could have
bought on my way home from work at the local lawnmower shop.

LLoyd

You, too, eh? g Bushings for worn-out junk that I should throw away have
been my primary lathe products for several years now.

The blower motor on my furnace fan was supposed to die 20 years ago. Now it
has a bronze bushing with an oil cup and felt wick. I'll die before it does.
Heh, heh...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
. 3.70...
Having a home shop means...

-- I can use $10,000 worth of tools to make a 45-cent bushing I could have
bought on my way home from work at the local lawnmower shop.

LLoyd

You, too, eh? g Bushings for worn-out junk that I should throw away have
been my primary lathe products for several years now.

As a pimple-faced teenager on a meager allowance, I was making bushings
with an electric drill and a file.
Today I'm making the same bushing on a $2000 lathe

Pretty sad, eh?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

....never having to say "I don't have a bushing like that"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
. 3.70...
Having a home shop means...

-- I can use $10,000 worth of tools to make a 45-cent bushing I could
have
bought on my way home from work at the local lawnmower shop.

LLoyd

You, too, eh? g Bushings for worn-out junk that I should throw away
have been my primary lathe products for several years now.

As a pimple-faced teenager on a meager allowance, I was making bushings
with an electric drill and a file.
Today I'm making the same bushing on a $2000 lathe

Pretty sad, eh?

I know the feeling. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

Wondering how others manage to get by without a fairly comprehensive
home workshop that you can pop out to and make/repair stuff. I guy I
know gave his son his old Southbend and regretted it as he couldn't just
pop out and make things, luckily for him he was offered a free Myford 7
and a few other bits to go with it recently.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Having a home shop means...

-- I can use $10,000 worth of tools to make a 45-cent bushing I could have
bought on my way home from work at the local lawnmower shop.

LLoyd

Well, the $$$ in tools allowed me to make a bushing to mount a pot for
SEIC RPM control in my truck in place of one of the stock 12V power
points. Since that bushing was not available for purchase anywhere, it
was certainly worthwhile. The P-Touch labeler with white-on-clear tape
makes some damned nice labels for the new controls too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

Wondering how others manage to get by without a fairly comprehensive
home workshop that you can pop out to and make/repair stuff. I guy I
know gave his son his old Southbend and regretted it as he couldn't
just pop out and make things, luckily for him he was offered a free
Myford 7 and a few other bits to go with it recently.

Having tools and knowing how to use them has meant a better standard of
living for my family . Pay the mechanic or buy groceries ...
But I have yet to polish any spoons .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
David Billington wrote:
steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

Wondering how others manage to get by without a fairly comprehensive
home workshop that you can pop out to and make/repair stuff. I guy I
know gave his son his old Southbend and regretted it as he couldn't
just pop out and make things, luckily for him he was offered a free
Myford 7 and a few other bits to go with it recently.

Having tools and knowing how to use them has meant a better standard of
living for my family . Pay the mechanic or buy groceries ...
But I have yet to polish any spoons .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"
'39 WLDD "PopCycle"
BS 132/SENS/DOF

When I lived in a house that had a garbage disposal, there were times when I
wish I had the stuff to do it. Geez, that makes a heart-sinking racket.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Having a home shop means that I can use my $160 polishing setup (3/4HP
Baldor grinder that cost me $100 plus $60 wheel) to spend 20 minutes
of my valuable time to polish a $0.68 "low prices everyday" Walmart
spoon that fell into a disposer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22435 wrote:
Having a home shop means that I can use my $160 polishing setup (3/4HP
Baldor grinder that cost me $100 plus $60 wheel) to spend 20 minutes
of my valuable time to polish a $0.68 "low prices everyday" Walmart
spoon that fell into a disposer.

And you are now the proud owner of a $50 spoon!
Pretty funny.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

. 3.70...

Having a home shop means...

-- I can use $10,000 worth of tools to make a 45-cent bushing I could have
bought on my way home from work at the local lawnmower shop.

LLoyd

You, too, eh? g Bushings for worn-out junk that I should throw away have
been my primary lathe products for several years now.

The blower motor on my furnace fan was supposed to die 20 years ago. Now it
has a bronze bushing with an oil cup and felt wick. I'll die before it does.
Heh, heh...

Yep, I know whatcha mean Ed. I used my olde Stark lathe to make a new
Oilite front end bushing for the starter motor in my son's TR-6 when the
original one wore enough so the armature started grabbing onto the field
pole pieces.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/stark.jpg

My lathe spent part of it's life at the Waltham Watch Works (It has
"Waltham W.W." stamped on the end of the bed.) That factory is now part
of the Charles River Museum of Industry, and NEMES holds its meetings
and annual shows there.

http://www.crmi.org/

I replaced the original flat belt stepped pulley with a v-belt pulley
belted to a Craftsman motor mount/step pulley gizmo originally intended
for a wood lathe.

It's good enuff for much of what I've had to do save for cutting screw
threads. For that I have to borrow time on friends' lathes if I can't
get by with obscenely large lifetime collection of taps and dies.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

That's a classy looking old lathe, Jeff. It's amazing what you can do with
one of the old ones, no matter how worn it is. You just have to change
tactics to deal with it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

Wondering how others manage to get by without a fairly comprehensive
home workshop that you can pop out to and make/repair stuff. I guy I
know gave his son his old Southbend and regretted it as he couldn't just
pop out and make things, luckily for him he was offered a free Myford 7
and a few other bits to go with it recently.

In my case, "Popping out" to the shop means a 30-mile drive.
I hate that!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message

As a pimple-faced teenager on a meager allowance, I was making bushings
with an electric drill and a file.
Today I'm making the same bushing on a $2000 lathe

Pretty sad, eh?

A damn sad story.

But at least it had a happy ending, now you have a lathe.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22435" wrote in message
Having a home shop means that I can use my $160 polishing setup (3/4HP
Baldor grinder that cost me $100 plus $60 wheel) to spend 20 minutes
of my valuable time to polish a $0.68 "low prices everyday" Walmart
spoon that fell into a disposer.

Close. Having the tools at hand to cover up the fact that you trashed your
wife's spoon is well worth the time you spent.

You have to realize that it is not a $.68 spoon, it is a spoon she likes the
pattern of and that they don't carry that pattern any more.

It is kind of like wasting money on a humidifier when leaving wet towels on
the bed would do the same thing.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 28, 3:19*pm, steamer wrote:
* * * * --I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

--
* * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *Come see my stuff *
* * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *at Maker Faire!!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *www.nmpproducts.com
* * * * * * * * * *---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Having a home shop means when the riding mower breaks saturday evening
and the grass is long and it's going to rain sunday I can weld the
damn part and finish the lawn.

SWMBO *says* she doesn't care how the lawn looks... and that holds
right up to when it starts looking like crap.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"RBnDFW" wrote in message

As a pimple-faced teenager on a meager allowance, I was making bushings
with an electric drill and a file.
Today I'm making the same bushing on a $2000 lathe

Pretty sad, eh?

A damn sad story.

But at least it had a happy ending, now you have a lathe.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

While at college, I made an instrument panel for my skydiving that mounted
on my reserve chute an held an altimeter and stop watch. I had nothing but
some vice grips and a rat tail file. Borrowed a hand drill for the mounting
holes. The thing looked crude but worked. Now I have 16" lathe,
bridgeport, finger brake, roller, drill press welders etc. I don't think
I'm any prouder of the current output than I was with that instrument
panel... However it is sure neat to be able to do something at 10 o'clock at
night and do it more neatly.

Stu Fields

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

It is obvious that Congress found another way to get the power.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

To me, it means that I am not at the mercy of some shop that is 12 miles
away to get me back doing whatever I was doing when the widget broke. Going
there, and then they're out to lunch, or off fishing, or the person who
knows is somewhere else, and the minimum wage idiot is manning the counter.
And then waiting a week for something I could have fixed in fifteen minutes
with the right tools and part. And that I can glom something together that
will create a tool, or fix one and keep me from having to go get a new one
at a cost, like my Stanley roller distance gauge that has an incredibly
crappy plastic box of a housing. Mine saves and makes me money.

Old joke: A guy finds an old dry cleaning ticket he had forgotten about.
Two years old. He goes to the Oriental owned shop. The guy takes the
ticket and disappears and looks for about fifteen minutes. By then, the guy
figures he's out his goods. The counter guy comes back and hands the man
the ticket and says, "That will be ready Tuesday."

Same with some shops.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
David Billington wrote:
steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

Wondering how others manage to get by without a fairly comprehensive
home workshop that you can pop out to and make/repair stuff. I guy I
know gave his son his old Southbend and regretted it as he couldn't
just pop out and make things, luckily for him he was offered a free
Myford 7 and a few other bits to go with it recently.

Having tools and knowing how to use them has meant a better standard of
living for my family . Pay the mechanic or buy groceries ...
But I have yet to polish any spoons .
--
Snag

You can polish them?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave__67 wrote:
On Apr 28, 3:19 pm, steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Having a home shop means when the riding mower breaks saturday evening
and the grass is long and it's going to rain sunday I can weld the
damn part and finish the lawn.

SWMBO *says* she doesn't care how the lawn looks... and that holds
right up to when it starts looking like crap.

Dave

You have that problem as well???

I have a LOT of toys in the shop but still have some of the items I
built way back when I could only dream of having them.

I finally disposed of my very first Go-Cart a year or so ago. I remember
the days I spent building it and using 'innovative" solutions for the
problems.

The frame was simple angle iron, Rear axle was a chunk of drill rod,
rear tires were solid rubber and one had a BIG chunk out of it which I
filled with concrete mix and some nails to hold it in place!
Front steering was a pair of spindles from a lawn tractor but it had a
vertical shaft for steering. Not having money for a set up U joints or a
way to cut the frame and angle it for proper steering I ran a LONG bolt
through a chunk of pipe and a connecting rod from the bolt head to a
simple lever on the side, push the lever forward and you turned left
back for right.
The engine was from a Reo reel type mower. The drive system was a pulley
on the motor and one bolted to the wheel (through the solid rubber), no
money or idea of a centrifugal clutch. Nope I looked at what I had and
found 4 bearings of the same size, two fender washers that were much
larger and bolted them to a lever that would reach the belt and tighten
it. Throttle cable was a simple padlock hasp with a wire tied to it and
back to the engine.
Seat? was a chunk of plywood with a pillow on it.

Anyone else remember projects from the past??

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stu Fields wrote:
[...]

It's just a glorified Ponzi scheme, Stu.
They are selling something they don't really have.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That even the simplest bracket has to be 3D modeled
and 2D drawn, then fabricated from steel or AL bar,
with counterbored holes for socket head capscrew
fasteners.

That a trip to the recycling center always ends up
with more stuff coming home than left there since
now everything in the metals bin looks like stock.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

....whatever special tool or part I need at home is at the plant, and
whatever I need at the plant is at home. Yes, I have driven the 42 mile
round trip in the middle of the night to get a bolt, drill bit, piece of
metal, power tool, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The church near me, all the knives are sharp at the back
corner. That digs me in the hand when I try to eat.
Actually, the Pizza Hut I used to eat in, same deal. I've
smoothed some knive handles with my file on my leatherman.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus22435" wrote
in message
Having a home shop means that I can use my $160 polishing
setup (3/4HP
Baldor grinder that cost me $100 plus $60 wheel) to spend 20
minutes
of my valuable time to polish a $0.68 "low prices everyday"
Walmart
spoon that fell into a disposer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I used to hang the wet towels from the towel rack. Or walk
through the house with a mister bottle. Spraying mist
towards the ceiling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

Close. Having the tools at hand to cover up the fact that
you trashed your
wife's spoon is well worth the time you spent.

You have to realize that it is not a $.68 spoon, it is a
spoon she likes the
pattern of and that they don't carry that pattern any more.

It is kind of like wasting money on a humidifier when
leaving wet towels on
the bed would do the same thing.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this
say about the
Congress?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can make or repair most anything when and where I choose. I don't have to
wait for a service truck to come and charge 4x what I can charge anyone else.

I have a contract with one insurance company to fix/replace stuff in the house.
A number of times I have used my tools and shown the repair person how to
fix the problem. I save deductible on next calls when the 'factory' fix
just replaces a module but not the harness.

Martin

steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"steamer" wrote in message
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

To me, it means that I am not at the mercy of some shop that is 12 miles
away to get me back doing whatever I was doing when the widget broke. Going
there, and then they're out to lunch, or off fishing, or the person who
knows is somewhere else, and the minimum wage idiot is manning the counter.
And then waiting a week for something I could have fixed in fifteen minutes
with the right tools and part.

Yep, same here. After getting ripped off on tire mounting too many
times, and having to load up wheels and tires and then watch the process
so they don't screw up new tires or wheels, I bought the equipment to do
it myself. Now if I need to prep a car and a tire needs attention, I
don't have to wait until tomorrow and stand in line at the tire store.

Same with the brake lathe, and all the other tools.
Self-sufficiency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"steamer" wrote in message
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

...whatever special tool or part I need at home is at the plant, and
whatever I need at the plant is at home. Yes, I have driven the 42 mile
round trip in the middle of the night to get a bolt, drill bit, piece of
metal, power tool, etc.

I feel yer pain. I'm keeping two sets of tools, (and fasteners etc) most
at the shop 30 miles away, and another set at the house. If I ever get
both at the same location I'll be having a tool sale.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 28, 7:23*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Dave__67 wrote:
[...]

Almost sounds like the condition my mower is in...

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
That even the simplest bracket has to be 3D modeled
and 2D drawn, then fabricated from steel or AL bar,
with counterbored holes for socket head capscrew
fasteners.

That a trip to the recycling center always ends up
with more stuff coming home than left there since
now everything in the metals bin looks like stock.

AHHH the recycling center,

Ours is some 8 miles away, en route to everywhere else, so its a
wonderful excuse whenever in travelling to
" I best just check in case the lads there need something repairing"
and I of course can do all sorts of things for them for just about
everything I need in the metal/wood dept that comes in.

Not exactly the center of my life but a very important part of it.

to list all the finds over the past year would take a full A4 page.
Sometimes i do pay for stuff but its always a lot less than the new
equivalent.
Im in there at least 3 times a week.
best times are Sunday afternoons.
Whats the best find for you all in the past year?
Mine was a compete watchmakers lathe .
Best find ever was a steam whistle of an 1890's London to Brighton steam
locomotive. Solid bronze some 4 ft high weight 60 lbs. they thought it
was a staircase baluster in iron.
Made serious money at a vintage sale.
Ted
Dorset
UK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

Whats the best find for you all in the past year?
Mine was a compete watchmakers lathe .
Best find ever was a steam whistle of an 1890's London to Brighton steam
locomotive. Solid bronze some 4 ft high weight 60 lbs. they thought it
was a staircase baluster in iron.

You've got me beat. Unfortunately, we have a local
individual who pretty much lives at the recycling
center. He must be on disability or something.
He's rarely gone and he's always the first to score
the good stuff.

My two best finds were a working Dynaco Stereo
70 tube amplifier (cleaned up and sold for $300)
and a broke but fixable gas powered pressure washer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default NEMES & Waltham/Charles Museum....was Having a home shop means...

Hey Jeff,

One of the NEMES guys at NAMES told me that there has been heavy flood
damage to the Museum this spring. I think he said it is "Closed for
Renovations" at this time.

That's probably a great place to hold meetings, just for the ambience.
The Metro Detroit Metalworking Club had use of a historic/museum
fire-house for a few years. We loved it.

Brian
"Who-just-spent-two-hours-making-screws-for-a-used-50cent-machinist-clamp"
Lawson,
(albeit it was a Starrett clamp, but still.....love the shop !!)

Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:57:55 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:52:59 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:
SNIP

...whatever special tool or part I need at home is at the plant, and
whatever I need at the plant is at home. Yes, I have driven the 42 mile
round trip in the middle of the night to get a bolt, drill bit, piece of
metal, power tool, etc.

Hey Tom,

But have you ever driven home in the middle of the day "to get a bit"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:52:59 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:
SNIP

...whatever special tool or part I need at home is at the plant, and
whatever I need at the plant is at home. Yes, I have driven the 42 mile
round trip in the middle of the night to get a bolt, drill bit, piece of
metal, power tool, etc.

Hey Tom,

But have you ever driven home in the middle of the day "to get a bit"?

Nope! There are a number of Home Depots and tool room supply stores close
to the plant. It's cheaper to just buy new and get it fast.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:52:59 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:
SNIP

...whatever special tool or part I need at home is at the plant, and
whatever I need at the plant is at home. Yes, I have driven the 42 mile
round trip in the middle of the night to get a bolt, drill bit, piece of
metal, power tool, etc.

Hey Tom,

But have you ever driven home in the middle of the day "to get a bit"?

Nope! There are a number of Home Depots and tool room supply stores close
to the plant. It's cheaper to just buy new and get it fast.

I think you misunderstood the question...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

AHHH the recycling center,

Not exactly the center of my life but a very important part of it.

Ah .. me too!

Whats the best find for you all in the past year?
Mine was a compete watchmakers lathe .

This last year not so great - a couple of good things, but not in the
"great" category. Which a watchmakers lathe certainly is. I think
people are less likely to part with stuff when the economy sucks.

Best find ever was a steam whistle of an 1890's London to Brighton steam
locomotive. Solid bronze some 4 ft high weight 60 lbs. they thought it
was a staircase baluster in iron.
Made serious money at a vintage sale.

That is a great find! Something that I'd be _tempted_ to keep, just
cause it's so cool. On my all time great list is a 9 x 24 Atlas lathe,
parted out on eBay for $1600, an Atlas horizontal mill (bench top), a
couple of Gravely 2 wheel tractors & attachments. It just makes my day
when I get a "find" at the dump.

Good hunting,
Bob

Gunners Home shop Wes[_2_] Metalworking 15 December 5th 09 04:54 AM
Gunners Home shop Stu Fields Metalworking 27 December 3rd 09 05:22 AM
Gunners Home shop Buerste Metalworking 6 December 2nd 09 03:23 PM
Gunners Home shop Steve B[_2_] Metalworking 5 December 2nd 09 04:52 AM
(BC) means Before Christmas..... (BS) means......... Jimw Home Repair 0 January 18th 09 02:11 PM