Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default NEMES & Waltham/Charles Museum....was Having a home shop means...

Hey Jeff,

One of the NEMES guys at NAMES told me that there has been heavy flood
damage to the Museum this spring. I think he said it is "Closed for
Renovations" at this time.

That's probably a great place to hold meetings, just for the ambience.
The Metro Detroit Metalworking Club had use of a historic/museum
fire-house for a few years. We loved it.

Brian
"Who-just-spent-two-hours-making-screws-for-a-used-50cent-machinist-clamp"
Lawson,
(albeit it was a Starrett clamp, but still.....love the shop !!)

Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:57:55 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

. 3.70...

Having a home shop means...

-- I can use $10,000 worth of tools to make a 45-cent bushing I could have
bought on my way home from work at the local lawnmower shop.

LLoyd

You, too, eh? g Bushings for worn-out junk that I should throw away have
been my primary lathe products for several years now.

The blower motor on my furnace fan was supposed to die 20 years ago. Now it
has a bronze bushing with an oil cup and felt wick. I'll die before it does.
Heh, heh...

Yep, I know whatcha mean Ed. I used my olde Stark lathe to make a new
Oilite front end bushing for the starter motor in my son's TR-6 when the
original one wore enough so the armature started grabbing onto the field
pole pieces.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/stark.jpg

My lathe spent part of it's life at the Waltham Watch Works (It has
"Waltham W.W." stamped on the end of the bed.) That factory is now part
of the Charles River Museum of Industry, and NEMES holds its meetings
and annual shows there.

http://www.crmi.org/

I replaced the original flat belt stepped pulley with a v-belt pulley
belted to a Craftsman motor mount/step pulley gizmo originally intended
for a wood lathe.

It's good enuff for much of what I've had to do save for cutting screw
threads. For that I have to borrow time on friends' lathes if I can't
get by with obscenely large lifetime collection of taps and dies.

Jeff