Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Having a home shop means...

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

. 3.70...

Having a home shop means...

-- I can use $10,000 worth of tools to make a 45-cent bushing I could
have
bought on my way home from work at the local lawnmower shop.

LLoyd

You, too, eh? g Bushings for worn-out junk that I should throw away
have been my primary lathe products for several years now.

The blower motor on my furnace fan was supposed to die 20 years ago. Now
it has a bronze bushing with an oil cup and felt wick. I'll die before it
does. Heh, heh...

Yep, I know whatcha mean Ed. I used my olde Stark lathe to make a new
Oilite front end bushing for the starter motor in my son's TR-6 when the
original one wore enough so the armature started grabbing onto the field
pole pieces.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/stark.jpg

My lathe spent part of it's life at the Waltham Watch Works (It has
"Waltham W.W." stamped on the end of the bed.) That factory is now part of
the Charles River Museum of Industry, and NEMES holds its meetings and
annual shows there.

http://www.crmi.org/

I replaced the original flat belt stepped pulley with a v-belt pulley
belted to a Craftsman motor mount/step pulley gizmo originally intended
for a wood lathe.

It's good enuff for much of what I've had to do save for cutting screw
threads. For that I have to borrow time on friends' lathes if I can't get
by with obscenely large lifetime collection of taps and dies.

Jeff

That's a classy looking old lathe, Jeff. It's amazing what you can do with
one of the old ones, no matter how worn it is. You just have to change
tactics to deal with it.

--
Ed Huntress