Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Having a home shop means...

Ted Frater wrote:

AHHH the recycling center,

Not exactly the center of my life but a very important part of it.

Ah .. me too!

Whats the best find for you all in the past year?
Mine was a compete watchmakers lathe .

This last year not so great - a couple of good things, but not in the
"great" category. Which a watchmakers lathe certainly is. I think
people are less likely to part with stuff when the economy sucks.

Best find ever was a steam whistle of an 1890's London to Brighton steam
locomotive. Solid bronze some 4 ft high weight 60 lbs. they thought it
was a staircase baluster in iron.
Made serious money at a vintage sale.

That is a great find! Something that I'd be _tempted_ to keep, just
cause it's so cool. On my all time great list is a 9 x 24 Atlas lathe,
parted out on eBay for $1600, an Atlas horizontal mill (bench top), a
couple of Gravely 2 wheel tractors & attachments. It just makes my day
when I get a "find" at the dump.

Good hunting,
Bob