Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Heat/air for small garage/shop

I have been lookign around at used heat/air conditioners for my garage/
shop. It is not used all the time, mainly on weekends currently. It is
a 30x30x10 metal building with 2x4 walls in the inside and 2x4 trusses
on the ceiling.

I found a local heating air guy that has an 80's 3 ton unit that he
says was workign when pulled out of the house. The owner wanted to
upgrade. But, it is not a split system like I have in my house.

Is there a way to use this and it not look bad ? I mean, how would you
do the duct from the outside to the inside with a 2x4 wall?

Would this be too inefficent since it is old even though I am not in
there all the time. It does get terribly hot in there in the summer, I
am not as concerned about heat in the winter. I am in the process of
insulating currently and have no inside wall material as of yet other
than studs.

I have a 100 amp panel in my garage.

This unit is 300 bucks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I have been looking around at used heat/air conditioners for my garage/
[...]

For my money (and in my 24x40 shop) a Home Depot window unit in the back
endwall works fine. Pushes cold air all the way to the far wall, no
problem. My requirements at the shop are different from my home. I'm
only there once or twice a week, and I don't want sweat pouring off me
while I work. A window unit knocks the 100 degrees 80% humidity down to
something comfortable in about 30 minutes.
They run for years, are quite efficient, and when they quit, you
just buy another for ~$300. Much cheaper in the long run.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 3:23*pm, RBnDFW wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

just buy another for ~$300. *Much cheaper in the long run.- Hide quoted text -

Problem is I dont have a window.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 3:50*pm, "RAM³" wrote:
stryped wrote in news:9121fe5c-3426-482a-b060-
:

I have been lookign around at used heat/air conditioners for my garage/
shop. It is not used all the time, mainly on weekends currently. It is
a 30x30x10 metal building with 2x4 walls in the inside and 2x4 trusses
on the ceiling.

I found a local heating air guy that has an 80's 3 ton unit that he
says was workign when pulled out of the house. The owner wanted to
upgrade. But, it is not a split system like I have in my house.

By "split system" are you referring to a zoned system or a system with
the compressor outside and the evaporater coils in the attic?

Is there a way to use this and it not look bad ? I mean, how would you
do the duct from the outside to the inside with a 2x4 wall?

Would this be too inefficent since it is old even though I am not in
there all the time. It does get terribly hot in there in the summer, I
am not as concerned about heat in the winter. I am in the process of
insulating currently and have no inside wall material as of yet other
than studs.

I have a 100 amp panel in my garage.

This unit is 300 bucks.

If this is, essentially, a heavy-duty window unit then there may be
several options available....

This is a system where the air handler, compressor everythign sit
outside. I think they are called a "package" system. Basically the
whole thing sits outside.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote in
:

On Apr 14, 3:50*pm, "RAM³" wrote:
[...]

If the system calls for ducting, simply box in the ducting on the back of
the building and run it as close to the peak of the roof as possible for
maximum cooling effect.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote in news:b4a1c195-7cdd-4fbc-836a-
:

Problem is I dont have a window.

An 8' 2x4, some nails, a saw, and a hammer can supply you with an
appropriate opening.

Or is this a rented building?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just off the top of my head. A three ton system from the
eighties ought to draw about 15 amps, at 240 volts. Some
where along in that range.

Three tons should cool that shop in a hurry, and only have
to run now and again. The humidity control won't be great,
but it will be cooler.

You'd have to put the unit outdoors, and cut some holes in
the wall for the ducts. One option is to run a supply air
duct along the ceiling, and use a grille in the wall for
return air.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sawzall".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"stryped" wrote in message

Problem is I dont have a window.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Inside / outside.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...

By "split system" are you referring to a zoned system or a
system with
the compressor outside and the evaporater coils in the
attic?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use a 24 inch wall mounted industrial fan and no air
conditioning. It works fine for me. I wrap a towel around my head on
hot days and can work in 100 degree temp all day long.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
On Apr 14, 3:23 pm, RBnDFW wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

Hunt up one of the units like they use in motels with heat and A/C in
one unit. That's what I have. Works real well.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

This is a system where the air handler, compressor everythign sit
outside. I think they are called a "package" system. Basically the
whole thing sits outside.

They are made for 'Mobile Homes'.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:32:47 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Apr 14, 3:23*pm, RBnDFW wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

Then you simply cut a hole in the wall in some place that wont interfer
with work benches etc etc..frame it, and install the AC

Gunner, who lives in the desert and has no AC in his shop. Yet.

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, who lives in the desert and has no AC in his shop. Yet.

Don't pull a 'Wylie Coyote' and try cooling it with a block of dry
ice and a big fan. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 00:15:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, who lives in the desert and has no AC in his shop. Yet.

Don't pull a 'Wylie Coyote' and try cooling it with a block of dry
ice and a big fan. ;-)

Crom no! I went to a party last summer where they had put out buckets
filled with dry ice..and people were falling down the stairs between
the house and the swimming pool all night long because of the fog hiding
the stairs.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Apr 14, 3:23 pm, RBnDFW wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

Yep. Best spot is overhead, high as possible, for circulation as well as
security.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, who lives in the desert and has no AC in his shop. Yet.

Don't pull a 'Wylie Coyote' and try cooling it with a block of dry
ice and a big fan. ;-)

Crom no! I went to a party last summer where they had put out buckets
filled with dry ice..and people were falling down the stairs between
the house and the swimming pool all night long because of the fog hiding
the stairs.

It sounds like they were trying for the group discount on Darwin
Awards.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, who lives in the desert and has no AC in his shop. Yet.

Don't pull a 'Wylie Coyote' and try cooling it with a block of dry
ice and a big fan. ;-)

Crom no! I went to a party last summer where they had put out buckets
filled with dry ice..and people were falling down the stairs between
the house and the swimming pool all night long because of the fog hiding
the stairs.

It sounds like they were trying for the group discount on Darwin
Awards.

It was a very COOL effect..but it was semi-formal..and odd sized
invisible concrete steps and high heels didnt seem to mesh very well.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

stryped wrote:

This is a system where the air handler, compressor everythign sit
outside. I think they are called a "package" system. Basically the
whole thing sits outside.

They are made for 'Mobile Homes'.

They are not specifically for mobile homes. You see them alot in southern
states, on typical framed homes, also they are very simular to commercial
roof top units.
As to the OP. Set it on the ground, and cut a couple holes for supply and
return duct through the wall. as for the $300 price tag, it seems steep to
me. Maybe you can get the seller to make a bit of duct work to get through
the wall for the same price.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 15, 9:49*pm, "Greg O" wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in ...

stryped wrote:

This is a system where the air handler, compressor everythign sit
outside. I think they are called a "package" system. Basically the
whole thing sits outside.

* They are made for 'Mobile Homes'.

They are not specifically for mobile homes. You see them alot in southern
states, on typical framed homes, also they are very simular to commercial
roof top units.
As to the OP. Set it on the ground, and cut a couple holes for supply and
return duct through the wall. as for the $300 price tag, it seems steep to
me. Maybe you can get the seller to make a bit of duct work to get through
the wall for the same price.
Greg

I found a 2005 Bryant package unit for 500 delivered to me.

I am still having trouble invisioning how the dict would run from the
unit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

I found a 2005 Bryant package unit for 500 delivered to me.

I am still having trouble invisioning how the dict would run from the
unit.

Post a model number or a link, if it is the typical packaged unit the all of
it sits outside there will be places on the unit to connect supply and
return air ducts.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 05:13:02 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Apr 15, 9:49*pm, "Greg O" wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in ...

stryped wrote:

This is a system where the air handler, compressor everythign sit
outside. I think they are called a "package" system. Basically the
whole thing sits outside.

* They are made for 'Mobile Homes'.

They are not specifically for mobile homes. You see them alot in southern
states, on typical framed homes, also they are very simular to commercial
roof top units.
As to the OP. Set it on the ground, and cut a couple holes for supply and
return duct through the wall. as for the $300 price tag, it seems steep to
me. Maybe you can get the seller to make a bit of duct work to get through
the wall for the same price.
Greg

I found a 2005 Bryant package unit for 500 delivered to me.

I am still having trouble invisioning how the dict would run from the
unit.

Hasn't anyone heard of nude metalworking?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, who lives in the desert and has no AC in his shop. Yet.

Don't pull a 'Wylie Coyote' and try cooling it with a block of dry
ice and a big fan. ;-)

Crom no! I went to a party last summer where they had put out buckets
filled with dry ice..and people were falling down the stairs between
the house and the swimming pool all night long because of the fog hiding
the stairs.

It sounds like they were trying for the group discount on Darwin
Awards.

It was a very COOL effect..but it was semi-formal..and odd sized
invisible concrete steps and high heels didnt seem to mesh very well.

Mesh? They just couldn't get it into gear? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, who lives in the desert and has no AC in his shop. Yet.

Don't pull a 'Wylie Coyote' and try cooling it with a block of dry
ice and a big fan. ;-)

Crom no! I went to a party last summer where they had put out buckets
filled with dry ice..and people were falling down the stairs between
the house and the swimming pool all night long because of the fog hiding
the stairs.

It sounds like they were trying for the group discount on Darwin
Awards.

It was a very COOL effect..but it was semi-formal..and odd sized
invisible concrete steps and high heels didnt seem to mesh very well.

Mesh? They just couldn't get it into gear? ;-)

Watching well dressed women falling down concrete steps covered by fog
was a bit...scary.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Watching well dressed women falling down concrete steps covered by fog
was a bit...scary.

Yes, if they aren't drunk politicians.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/16/2010 5:09 PM, Gerald Miller wrote:

(...)

Hasn't anyone heard of nude metalworking?

OH! That's what they mean by 'Brismatic'!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload...7-7e0e1165bed1

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

This is a system where the air handler, compressor everythign sit
outside. I think they are called a "package" system. Basically the
whole thing sits outside.

They are made for 'Mobile Homes'.

They are not specifically for mobile homes. You see them alot in southern
states, on typical framed homes, also they are very simular to commercial
roof top units.
As to the OP. Set it on the ground, and cut a couple holes for supply and
return duct through the wall. as for the $300 price tag, it seems steep to
me. Maybe you can get the seller to make a bit of duct work to get through
the wall for the same price.

I live in a very 'Southern State' and what they advertise as package
units around here are one piece systems with flimsy flex duct that runs
under a mobile home. I have never seen one of these used anywhere else.
They are too easy to drag away from a building, and would make it too
easy to B&E a structure.

The one piece they use on other structures were referred to as
Modular, since they are used in modular, portable classrooms or office
buildings so they can be hauled in and set up in a hurry. They simply
bolt to one of the end walls of the center modules, and are wired into
that section. That way nothing is sticking out when they are being
moved down a highway.

Greg

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Well, I travel to Tennesse every summer and I see homes of all types with
package units sitting on the ground beside the home. Last summer I was down
in Mississippi and saw them all over too.
I do HVAC work for a living, so I know what I am seeing! You must not be
looking hard enough!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:

[...]

Or you're seeing a lot of crappy work done by the trades.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Shop Heat J T Woodworking 16 December 30th 07 08:10 PM
Auxillary Shop Heat - Review of the Wally World's Lakewood QTV-22 Quartz Heater - Kerosene in Garage Greg G. Woodworking 2 December 3rd 07 03:49 PM
Shop heat Trent Woodworking 23 August 21st 07 05:04 PM
Heat for small shop THOMAS CLEVELAND Woodworking 27 June 10th 07 01:39 AM
Shop Heat. Brian In Hampton Woodworking 0 December 24th 05 04:27 AM