Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Shop Heat

Think I've got that problem pretty well taken care of now. The
winters here in central NC aren't bad - not compared to MI winters,
that's for sure. My shop is wood, small, 8X12, and not insulated.

I started out by closing both doors. This help, but still got
chilly. Then the older son gave me one of those oil filled heaters that
look like a radiator. The thing works well enough it would seem, but
also seems to take forever to get warm, and even longer to hat the shop.
I think it would be great for maintain the heat, but for the initial
heating, it sucked.

Then I got one of those little ceramic electric heaters, with a
fan. Doors still closed. Noisy, but puts out heat almost instantly,
and seems to work pretty well. I got the impression it sucked up a lot
of electric tho.

About this time I beliee it was, I got the idea for a plastic strip
door. Probably most of you have seen, or at least seen pictures of,
long clear plastic strips allowing people and machines to pass thru, but
keeping heat or cold from entering or leaving, as the case may be. So
cut some pastic window dovering and hung that. This actually works
quite well. If I redo it I will use couble strips, and wider, next
time. This lets some light in and keeps away the feeling of being in a
large box.

Awhile back got one of the Mr Buddy propane heaters, the small one.
Finally tried it out. Worked nicely. Heat whthin about a minute, and
heat in the sh op going up noticably withing 5-10 minutes. The hard
part then was dedicing where to put it. Finally decided to hang it from
the ceiling, near t he back. Ah, works. With a however. No matter
what anyone tells you, thee is almost always a h owever. This however
was, it was too high. So made a wooden extension to hang from the
wooden hooks I had put up before, so it will hang about 22 inches lower.
That'll put it low enough it'll direct heat at me even when I'm sitting.
And, if it turns out it's a tad too low, it'll be plenty easy enough to
raise it however much is wanted. Behind the heater is the window,
that's cracked open, with a fan blowing air in. The fan is mostly
blocked, so just a small amount of fresh air is coming in, not much to
heat, and it keeps any fumes, and fine dust in the air floating toward
the front, and the plastic strips. This should make those winter days
much more tolerable, even pleasant. Summer is no prob as the shop is
shaded most of the day and the fan keeps air going thru - don' need no
steenkin' air conditionin'.

Oh yeah, I glue up in the house. Even when it's warm enough to
safely do it in the sh op, I generally just do it in the house. Live
is basically good.

JOAT
If you can read this you're in range.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Update. I took the entension out and tried it. Worked perfetly,
of course, after all it ain't rocket science. But I hadn't allowed for
the side pieces of the two hooks I'd made, so it hung an inch or so
higher than I'd figured on, and an inch or sor more forward. So, turned
it around. Ah, better, that way is an inch or so lower, and an inch or
so further back. I'm thinking I may cut out enough to allow for the
side pieces of the hooks, which would let it come down an inco or so
more, and let it move back another inch or so, which should b just about
exactly what I want. Some days even things that aren't quite what
you're after still come out right. Life is basically good.

JOAT
If you can read this you're in range.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

* * Update. *I took the entension out and tried it. *Worked perfetly,
of course, after all it ain't rocket science. *But I hadn't allowed for
the side pieces of the two hooks I'd made, so it hung an inch or so
higher than I'd figured on, and an inch or sor more forward. *So, turned
it around. *Ah, better, that way is an inch or so lower, and an inch or
so further back. *I'm thinking I may cut out enough to allow for the
side pieces of the hooks, which would let it come down an inco or so
more, and let it move back another inch or so, which should b just about
exactly what I want. *Some days even things that aren't quite what
you're after still come out right. *Life is basically good.

JOAT
If you can read this you're in range.- Hide quoted text -

Hi, just read your post and wondering if your shop is near your house.
I live in Maine and my shop WAS also unheated. The house is hot air
[OIL] and I bought some flex insulated tube and cut into my bathroom
duct with a T and bought heat into my shop. It's a toasty 50 degree
when it's ZERO outside....
Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:

It's a toasty 50 degree

when it's ZERO outside....

By my definition 50F is not toasty, it is not even fit for human
habitation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:54:28 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

By my definition 50F is not toasty, it is not even fit for human
habitation.

My neck of the woods was a beautiful 43F yesterday, so I went for a
nice bike ride.

Being as much of a boat guy as you are, I totally understand your
attraction to warmth!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:15:26 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

[...]

What are you using for the propane: 20 lb or quart bottles?
How do you find the cost of running the Buddy?

Otoe
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Otoe" wrote:

What are you using for the propane: 20 lb or quart bottles?
How do you find the cost of running the Buddy?

If the appliance operates with small bottle, that means high pressure.

You can use 20 lb and larger bottles by going to an industrial propane
distributor and have them make up a 10 ft, high pressure hose.

If the appliance uses low pressure propane, add a regulator.

Standard stuff on a cruising sailboat.

SFWIW, major difference in price between 20 lb bottles and 1 lb
bottles.

BTW, heat rises, mount heater accordingly.

Lew

Shop heat Trent Woodworking 23 August 21st 07 05:04 PM
Heat for small shop THOMAS CLEVELAND Woodworking 27 June 10th 07 01:39 AM
Shop Heat. Brian In Hampton Woodworking 0 December 24th 05 04:27 AM
shop heat....dedux? lol skeezics Woodworking 26 November 18th 05 12:15 AM
Shop heat Charlie Self Woodworking 29 November 8th 05 01:48 AM