Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop heat

What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby. I could easily run 220 in the
ceilings and use a drop down ceiling heater. I have seen some on the
Internet but not quite sure what I am looking at.

Winters can get to the low teens. It would probably only be used in
the evenings and weekends, so it would not have to be heated all the
time. I have used the propane bottle heaters and it can raise the
temperature a bit so as not to freeze your butt off. It is well
insulated.

Trent

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trent" wrote in message
news
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby. I could easily run 220 in the
ceilings and use a drop down ceiling heater. I have seen some on the
Internet but not quite sure what I am looking at.

Winters can get to the low teens. It would probably only be used in
the evenings and weekends, so it would not have to be heated all the
time. I have used the propane bottle heaters and it can raise the
temperature a bit so as not to freeze your butt off. It is well
insulated.

Get a 200, 300, 500 gallon propane tank. Won't suppliers rent/lease you
the tank?
--
NuWave Dave in [rarely reaches freezing] Texas

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a waste oil heater I bought used on ebay that does well. When the
waste oil runs low wood heats the shop. My shop is 24 x 36 x 14 high. The
waste oil is a little nasty and the heat pan has to be cleaned almost daily
(with an air chisel- carbon deposits). It is clean burning just nasty to
deal with. You need all your friends waste oil and barrels and pump with a
filter to move the oil to the heater. Mine is the Eliminator and there are
others of course. After the cost of barrels, pump, heater and install
matierials it is free heat if you can find enough oil. It started out slow
for me but friends are telling friends that they can drop oil off at my
house and the environmentally conscious are really helping me out. Mine will
run up to 36 hours unattended when I can't be there to load the woodstove
and this really helps me when I am finishing a project.
Good Luck Lyndell
P.S. I forgot, the fan is a little noisy but not a problem when you are
running a router. :-) 115v will do the trick, you are running a small pump
for the oil and a fan motor and circuit board.

"Trent" wrote in message
news
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby. I could easily run 220 in the
ceilings and use a drop down ceiling heater. I have seen some on the
Internet but not quite sure what I am looking at.

Winters can get to the low teens. It would probably only be used in
the evenings and weekends, so it would not have to be heated all the
time. I have used the propane bottle heaters and it can raise the
temperature a bit so as not to freeze your butt off. It is well
insulated.

Trent

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 17, 9:05 pm, Trent wrote:
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby. I could easily run 220 in the
ceilings and use a drop down ceiling heater. I have seen some on the
Internet but not quite sure what I am looking at.

Winters can get to the low teens. It would probably only be used in
the evenings and weekends, so it would not have to be heated all the
time. I have used the propane bottle heaters and it can raise the
temperature a bit so as not to freeze your butt off. It is well
insulated.

Trent

A few years ago I worked on a over-the-winter project involving lots
of spray primer/paint, paint thinner and acetone. We cut steel plates
on a radial arm saw and regularly took a grinder to metal of various
kinds, shooting sparks in every direction. All the while we heated the
garage with a 2 burner open flame camp stove fueled with natural gas
and a 20 YO kerosene heater. On days when we were painting, we'd open
the gargage when the fumes got too thick and watched the cloud float
out along with the heat. Many nights we'd go to sleep with the burners
on full so the epoxy/fiberglass could cure.

How we never blew up the garage or set the place on fire is beyond me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trent" wrote:..
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby.

snip

After natural gas, oil or propane.

Electric strictly for spot heating.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Trent wrote:
| What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?
|
| My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
| for there is no gas line nearby. I could easily run 220 in the
| ceilings and use a drop down ceiling heater. I have seen some on the
| Internet but not quite sure what I am looking at.
|
| Winters can get to the low teens. It would probably only be used in
| the evenings and weekends, so it would not have to be heated all the
| time. I have used the propane bottle heaters and it can raise the
| temperature a bit so as not to freeze your butt off. It is well
| insulated.

If it's well-insulated, then you're invited to take a look at shop
with passive solar heating at the link below...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trent" wrote:..
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby.

Propane. At least where I live. Electricity here is 17¢ a kW making it much
more expensive than any other form of energy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 7:45 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Trent" wrote:..
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby.

Propane. At least where I live. Electricity here is 17¢ a kW making it much
more expensive than any other form of energy.

Holy smoke! I need to check, as the local utility has been really
getting into the swing of screwing the customer--catching up with the
outside world, I guess--but I think we're still in the dime a kWh or
under. It might have jumped to 11 or 12 cents, though.

I was going to recommend the OP take a look at Northern's heaters.
Last winter, they had--don't hold me to the spelling--an Ouilette 240
volt that would heat a goodly space if hung from a ceiling corner. But
if his electricity costs like yours, ugh! I use propane heaters (two
45,000 Btu) to bring it up to toast, and then shut the heat down. I've
been planning on installing one electric corner heater in opposite
corners, because one is not going to be enough. My shop is 25' x 48'
with a near 9' ceiling. Moderately insulated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

Holy smoke! I need to check, as the local utility has been really
getting into the swing of screwing the customer--catching up with the
outside world, I guess--but I think we're still in the dime a kWh or
under. It might have jumped to 11 or 12 cents, though.

Here in SoCal it is about ($0.$015-0.17)/KWH with a summer/winter
differential in place.

Now if a "carbon tax" was added to fossil fuel generated power, you would
begin to see the true cost of power.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trent" wrote:..
[...]

We had a 55 gallon barrel wood stove in an uninsulated big enough for
three cars garage in Cleveland Ohio. I guess that was about 900 SF
with no ceilings, just rafters. We could get it pretty warm with a box
fan to blow the heat around.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote

We had a 55 gallon barrel wood stove in an uninsulated big enough for
three cars garage in Cleveland Ohio. I guess that was about 900 SF
with no ceilings, just rafters. We could get it pretty warm with a box
fan to blow the heat around.

You must be in the tropical part of Cleveland.

I froze my rear end off when I was there.

Still remember a day in January when it hit -19F over night.

I was able to get a car started that had stayed outside all night, but when
I got to work, the place was locked up and had to go back home.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Trent" wrote:..
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby.

snip

After natural gas, oil or propane.

Electric strictly for spot heating.

Lew

The answer really depends on your utility costs, natural gas costs, and
propane costs in your area. Here we can get electricity for $0.3/KWH, that
makes it cheaper than any other available source!
Most places I would go with natural gas first, then propane, and buy a
Modine Hot Dag heater, or a Reznor UDAP.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trent" wrote:..
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby.

snip

After natural gas, oil or propane.

Electric strictly for spot heating.

Lew

The answer really depends on your utility costs, natural gas costs, and
propane costs in your area. Here we can get electricity for $0.3/KWH, that
makes it cheaper than any other available source!
Most places I would go with natural gas first, then propane, and buy a
Modine Hot Dag heater, or a Reznor UDAP.
Greg

Yes. Six years ago, we installed propane as a back-up for the heat
pump, to replace the old oil furnace. Bad mistake. Propane is
expensive as hell now, while oil isn't much that much higher and is
simpler to deal with, though it does require $100 annual furnace
cleanings. For a shop, though, where heat needs tend to be
intermittent, propane works decently. I had an electric furnace in my
shop--actually, it's still there, but no longer wired in--that did
fine, if I used the propane heaters to break the chill when it dropped
under something like 15 degrees F. But, and this can be a big question
for ANY kind of electric heat, do you have 60 to 90 amps to spare in
your panel?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Trent" wrote:..
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby.

snip

I use a combination heat/airconditioner window unit in a 24 X28 with 10 foot
ceiling all insulated. It requires a 30 amp breaker.
I wired in a 30 Amp double pole switch and a 27v transformer (in a
separatebox) with a thermostat.
I just set the unit on hear or cool and let the thermostat do the
controling. Works great.

Virgle

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 17, 9:05 pm, Trent wrote:
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby. I could easily run 220 in the
ceilings and use a drop down ceiling heater. I have seen some on the
Internet but not quite sure what I am looking at.

Winters can get to the low teens. It would probably only be used in
the evenings and weekends, so it would not have to be heated all the
time. I have used the propane bottle heaters and it can raise the
temperature a bit so as not to freeze your butt off. It is well
insulated.

Trent

My garage in Michigan is something like 25'x25', and I use an electric
heater called "The Hot One" by Cadet. Does a nice job, cost about $200
5 yrs ago, can mount on the ceiling, and they have a 110 and a 220
model. I recall I had to special order it from Home Depot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TSW632" wrote in message
My garage in Michigan is something like 25'x25', and I use an electric
heater called "The Hot One" by Cadet. Does a nice job, cost about $200
5 yrs ago, can mount on the ceiling, and they have a 110 and a 220
model. I recall I had to special order it from Home Depot.

Anything like one of these?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43465

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 10:53 am, "Upscale" wrote:
"TSW632" wrote in message
My garage in Michigan is something like 25'x25', and I use an electric
heater called "The Hot One" by Cadet. Does a nice job, cost about $200
5 yrs ago, can mount on the ceiling, and they have a 110 and a 220
model. I recall I had to special order it from Home Depot.

Anything like one of these?http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43465

Nope. Here it is:

http://www.cadetco.com/show_product.php?prodid=1012

Posted to rec.woodworking

No one has mentioned pellet stoves. I live on an island in the
Seattle area. No natural gas, Propane is very expensive here because
of the extra cost of bringing it on the ferry. I chose a pellet
stove. Works wonderful and heats the whole shop (1200 sq ft with high
ceislings) in 30 min or so. I do have a ceiling fan which helps a
lot. The wood pellets burn very hot and a big advantage of a pellet
stove is that one does not need a chimney. Just cut a hole in the
wall. Of course it has to be insulated. Works great!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"rchanson" wrote in message
ups.com...
No one has mentioned pellet stoves. I live on an island in the
Seattle area. No natural gas, Propane is very expensive here because
of the extra cost of bringing it on the ferry. I chose a pellet
stove.

May be a good choice. Be aware, however, with solid fuel heaters there may
be some code considerations. They are not allowed in attached garages. Wood
embers and coals can be hot and glowing for a day or so after the fire was
"out" and fumes can ignite. Watch those solvents.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:09:29 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Jim Behning" wrote

We had a 55 gallon barrel wood stove in an uninsulated big enough for
three cars garage in Cleveland Ohio. I guess that was about 900 SF
with no ceilings, just rafters. We could get it pretty warm with a box
fan to blow the heat around.

You must be in the tropical part of Cleveland.

I froze my rear end off when I was there.

Still remember a day in January when it hit -19F over night.

I was able to get a car started that had stayed outside all night, but when
I got to work, the place was locked up and had to go back home.

Lew

You got me there. We lived about 600 feet from Lake Erie. The tropical
breezes from Canada kept it to no colder than -15. I can recall sking
in college where a cold spell hit in the day and it got to -10 in the
day. I guess it got real cold that night.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote:

You got me there.

That was 1963, the year they established the no parking, snow ban
ordinance when there was 2" on the ground.

We lived about 600 feet from Lake Erie.

Where? I probably sailed right past your place.

Over the years, kept my boat in Fairport, Cleveland, Lorain, and
finally Sandusky.

Living along the lake affords some protection from the lake itself.

The folks on the east side get the best of it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:17:10 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Jim Behning" wrote:

You got me there.

That was 1963, the year they established the no parking, snow ban
ordinance when there was 2" on the ground.

We lived about 600 feet from Lake Erie.

Where? I probably sailed right past your place.

Over the years, kept my boat in Fairport, Cleveland, Lorain, and
finally Sandusky.

Living along the lake affords some protection from the lake itself.

The folks on the east side get the best of it.

Lew

I lived in Bay Village from 1963-1983. For year in the middle of the
city at the low spot east of Cahoon Park. Low spot was Glen Park Road
which had a mini valley and a creek running down the middle. Next
house was on Bradley Road which was close to the wedge of the city.
Both houses were 3-4 houses from the actual lake.

One of my neighbor talked about the huge beaches we used to have at
Bay Village. She had a picture of 100 feet of sand on the west side of
the city where I lived. I guess there used to be a lot of cottages
down there before they raised the water level.

My wife lived in Chardon which was east of Cleveland and always got
dumped with the most snow.

I was on a big sailboat once for an hour at night. I think I was on a
dingy, tiny sailboat where we tried to go from our neighborhood to
Cahoon Park and back. Slow going in a little boat I vaguely recall. I
was not much of a water person.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning"

I lived in Bay Village from 1963-1983.

It was a common joke that since there were no bars in "Bay", nobody in
the village drank.

My wife lived in Chardon which was east of Cleveland and always got
dumped with the most snow.

Unless you lived there, it was hard to grasp "lake effect" snow that
got dumped on Geauga County.

Maybe 72" at the airport on the west side, minimum of 120" in the
"snow belt".

I was on a big sailboat once for an hour at night.

My idea of racing was "down below for a cold one".

Strictly a cruising sailor.

was not much of a water person.

Understand.

Lew

Was Shop heat---update Andrew V Metalworking 33 March 5th 06 03:32 PM
Need shop heat advice Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 39 January 4th 06 04:46 AM
Shop Heat. Brian In Hampton Woodworking 0 December 24th 05 04:27 AM
Shop heat Charlie Self Woodworking 29 November 8th 05 01:48 AM
HEat treating in my shop HotRod Metalworking 7 October 7th 05 01:36 PM