Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Shop heat

On Aug 17, 9:05 pm, Trent wrote:
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby. I could easily run 220 in the
ceilings and use a drop down ceiling heater. I have seen some on the
Internet but not quite sure what I am looking at.

Winters can get to the low teens. It would probably only be used in
the evenings and weekends, so it would not have to be heated all the
time. I have used the propane bottle heaters and it can raise the
temperature a bit so as not to freeze your butt off. It is well
insulated.

Trent

A few years ago I worked on a over-the-winter project involving lots
of spray primer/paint, paint thinner and acetone. We cut steel plates
on a radial arm saw and regularly took a grinder to metal of various
kinds, shooting sparks in every direction. All the while we heated the
garage with a 2 burner open flame camp stove fueled with natural gas
and a 20 YO kerosene heater. On days when we were painting, we'd open
the gargage when the fumes got too thick and watched the cloud float
out along with the heat. Many nights we'd go to sleep with the burners
on full so the epoxy/fiberglass could cure.

How we never blew up the garage or set the place on fire is beyond me.