Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson Lyndell Thompson is offline

Default Shop heat

I have a waste oil heater I bought used on ebay that does well. When the
waste oil runs low wood heats the shop. My shop is 24 x 36 x 14 high. The
waste oil is a little nasty and the heat pan has to be cleaned almost daily
(with an air chisel- carbon deposits). It is clean burning just nasty to
deal with. You need all your friends waste oil and barrels and pump with a
filter to move the oil to the heater. Mine is the Eliminator and there are
others of course. After the cost of barrels, pump, heater and install
matierials it is free heat if you can find enough oil. It started out slow
for me but friends are telling friends that they can drop oil off at my
house and the environmentally conscious are really helping me out. Mine will
run up to 36 hours unattended when I can't be there to load the woodstove
and this really helps me when I am finishing a project.
Good Luck Lyndell
P.S. I forgot, the fan is a little noisy but not a problem when you are
running a router. :-) 115v will do the trick, you are running a small pump
for the oil and a fan motor and circuit board.

"Trent" wrote in message
news
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby. I could easily run 220 in the
ceilings and use a drop down ceiling heater. I have seen some on the
Internet but not quite sure what I am looking at.

Winters can get to the low teens. It would probably only be used in
the evenings and weekends, so it would not have to be heated all the
time. I have used the propane bottle heaters and it can raise the
temperature a bit so as not to freeze your butt off. It is well
insulated.

Trent