Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Heat/air for small garage/shop

stryped wrote:
On Apr 14, 3:23 pm, RBnDFW wrote:
stryped wrote:
I have been looking around at used heat/air conditioners for my garage/
shop. It is not used all the time, mainly on weekends currently. It is
a 30x30x10 metal building with 2x4 walls in the inside and 2x4 trusses
on the ceiling.
I found a local heating air guy that has an 80's 3 ton unit that he
says was workign when pulled out of the house. The owner wanted to
upgrade. But, it is not a split system like I have in my house.
Is there a way to use this and it not look bad ? I mean, how would you
do the duct from the outside to the inside with a 2x4 wall?
Would this be too inefficent since it is old even though I am not in
there all the time. It does get terribly hot in there in the summer, I
am not as concerned about heat in the winter. I am in the process of
insulating currently and have no inside wall material as of yet other
than studs.
I have a 100 amp panel in my garage.
This unit is 300 bucks.

For my money (and in my 24x40 shop) a Home Depot window unit in the back
endwall works fine. Pushes cold air all the way to the far wall, no
problem. My requirements at the shop are different from my home. I'm
only there once or twice a week, and I don't want sweat pouring off me
while I work. A window unit knocks the 100 degrees 80% humidity down to
something comfortable in about 30 minutes.
They run for years, are quite efficient, and when they quit, you
just buy another for ~$300. Much cheaper in the long run.- Hide quoted text -

Problem is I dont have a window.

Nor did I