Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default Heat/air for small garage/shop

stryped wrote in
:

On Apr 14, 3:50*pm, "RAM³" wrote:
stryped wrote in news:9121fe5c-3426-482a-b060-
:

I have been lookign around at used heat/air conditioners for my
garage/ shop. It is not used all the time, mainly on weekends
currently. It is a 30x30x10 metal building with 2x4 walls in the
inside and 2x4 trusses on the ceiling.

I found a local heating air guy that has an 80's 3 ton unit that he
says was workign when pulled out of the house. The owner wanted to
upgrade. But, it is not a split system like I have in my house.

By "split system" are you referring to a zoned system or a system
with the compressor outside and the evaporater coils in the attic?

Is there a way to use this and it not look bad ? I mean, how would
you do the duct from the outside to the inside with a 2x4 wall?

Would this be too inefficent since it is old even though I am not
in there all the time. It does get terribly hot in there in the
summer, I am not as concerned about heat in the winter. I am in the
process of insulating currently and have no inside wall material as
of yet other than studs.

I have a 100 amp panel in my garage.

This unit is 300 bucks.

If this is, essentially, a heavy-duty window unit then there may be
several options available....

This is a system where the air handler, compressor everythign sit
outside. I think they are called a "package" system. Basically the
whole thing sits outside.

If the system calls for ducting, simply box in the ducting on the back of
the building and run it as close to the peak of the roof as possible for
maximum cooling effect.