Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Heat/air for small garage/shop

Just off the top of my head. A three ton system from the
eighties ought to draw about 15 amps, at 240 volts. Some
where along in that range.

Three tons should cool that shop in a hurry, and only have
to run now and again. The humidity control won't be great,
but it will be cooler.

You'd have to put the unit outdoors, and cut some holes in
the wall for the ducts. One option is to run a supply air
duct along the ceiling, and use a grille in the wall for
return air.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"stryped" wrote in message
I have been lookign around at used heat/air conditioners for
my garage/
shop. It is not used all the time, mainly on weekends
currently. It is
a 30x30x10 metal building with 2x4 walls in the inside and
2x4 trusses
on the ceiling.

I found a local heating air guy that has an 80's 3 ton unit
that he
says was workign when pulled out of the house. The owner
wanted to
upgrade. But, it is not a split system like I have in my
house.

Is there a way to use this and it not look bad ? I mean, how
would you
do the duct from the outside to the inside with a 2x4 wall?

Would this be too inefficent since it is old even though I
am not in
there all the time. It does get terribly hot in there in the
summer, I
am not as concerned about heat in the winter. I am in the
process of
insulating currently and have no inside wall material as of
yet other
than studs.

I have a 100 amp panel in my garage.

This unit is 300 bucks.