Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crappy tools

My wife and daughters bought me a 1/2 hammerdrill for my
birthday/fathers day last June.

I used it a couple times last summer/fall, and then today I wanted to
use it to drill a 1 1/2 hole in a spruce 2X8. Put it in low gear (for
the first time) and founf out there were teeth missing on a gear
somewhere. Just a lot of noise, and no drive.

It was a Black and Decker DR650-ca -= 6.5 amp unit that They paid $80
for.(on sale).

Took it back to Canadian Tire where they bought it, and they don't
carry it any more. After a lot of hassle, I paid the difference ($20)
to get a Porter Cable PC650 - looked like virtually the same drill
except for the location of the reverse switch.

I gor ONE HOLE drilled, and noticed something poking out through the
side of the drive gear case which LOOKED like it was aluminum, but was
in fact aluminized chrappy plastic.

Looks like I'll have to cruise the Garage sales this spring and try to
find myself a 30 year old half inch drill - - - - - - .
The one the B&D replaced was almost 50 years old and had been used
professionally by my dad as an electrical contractor for about 35
years of that until his retirement. In hindsight, I should have spent
whatever it took to have it rewound instead of scrapping it. (It just
up and quit one day when I was using it - let the magic smoke out)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Yep. I had some holes to drill in relatively green concrete. I bough a
hammer drill from HF. It just flat didn't drill worth a damn in the
concrete. I gave up and borrowed a Bosch drill. It worked 10 times better.
Then I found a used Hilti...That thing drills concrete better than the HF
drill does wood. Yep it cost a bit more but I've got a drill that will
drill holes when I want to and not just help me learn new cuss words.

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:31:19 -0600, "Pete C."

[...]

Hilti... the answer is Hilti.

Megabucks - the answer is megabucks.

I could have bought a nice Hilti hammerdrill tonight for $60, but it
was hammer only - and I really need a 1/2 drill more than I need a
hammer-drill at the moment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What model is hammer only??? I've never seen one.

TM7S-VSR is what you want. Used to be able to get it for about $200 US.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22050 wrote:

I bought a nice old 1/2" slow speed drill (deifinitely will pull your
wrist if it snags) for $5 on ebay, picked up near my house. I have
been happy with my dewalt drill however.

Excellent score! I seldom see anything of interest on ebay that's close
enough to pick up. One of the downsides to rural living....

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-12, Jon Anderson wrote:
Ignoramus22050 wrote:

I bought a nice old 1/2" slow speed drill (deifinitely will pull your
wrist if it snags) for $5 on ebay, picked up near my house. I have
been happy with my dewalt drill however.

Excellent score! I seldom see anything of interest on ebay that's
close enough to pick up. One of the downsides to rural living....

I seldom see anything worth buying on ebay as well. But I keep
looking. Sometimes things work out great.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Found my OLD B&D 1/2 inch in a salvage yard. It was locked up and had a
questionable cord. Looked OK so I grabbed it off the pile. Brought it
home, took it apart and found a small piece of swarf stuck in the motor.
Cleaned it out and put a newer cord on it and started drilling holes. I
made a new dead-handle for it.

Works GREAT...

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:37:00 -0600, "Pete C."

[...]

Didn't go look at it, but it is over 15 years old and the seller said
"hammer only" It's on the kitchener waterloo KIJIJI.ca site.

TM7S-VSR is what you want. Used to be able to get it for about $200 US.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:55:56 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus22050
scrawled the following:

On 2010-03-12, Jon Anderson wrote:
Ignoramus22050 wrote:

I bought a nice old 1/2" slow speed drill (deifinitely will pull your
wrist if it snags) for $5 on ebay, picked up near my house. I have
been happy with my dewalt drill however.

Excellent score! I seldom see anything of interest on ebay that's
close enough to pick up. One of the downsides to rural living....

I seldom see anything worth buying on ebay as well. But I keep
looking. Sometimes things work out great.

I'm up over 350 items bought, usually for 5-25% of the cost, and about
half of them brand new. I learned how to do late bidding very early
on, as I learned to limit my bids to rational figures for the get-go.
Works for me. I lost about 30 bids recently on valid copies of MS
Office 2007 Professional, finally winning one for $150. Retail is
$499.95 from M$.

A client gave me a nice tip and suggested strongly that I get a copy
of Office to work with her, so I did...on her!

Yeah, I just checked and my feedback # is 377. I have been very happy
with 370 of those purchases, happy with 4 more, and have returned 3,
with money back in all cases. I didn't get my return shipping fees
from the last return, though. Overall, I'm way, way ahead with eBay
purchases.

OK, there are dozens of things I see and want on eBay but the unwashed
yuppie bidders run the prices way up. I find them elsewhere for much
less, which is alright with me, too.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My TM7S-VSR is around 15 years old. It is a hammer drill (as opposed to
rotary hammer), 1/2" chuck, selectable hammer drill or drill only, and
hi/lo gear range.

The only Hiltis that I'm aware of that aren't selectable to a drill only
mode are the really big stuff like TE-72. I'd recommend looking up the
model number in question on the Hilti site to get the correct
information.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:16:05 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm up over 350 items bought, usually for 5-25% of the cost, and about
half of them brand new.

I've bought at least that much. Buying on ebay has been a genuine
benefit to my business. It's finding worthwhile items on ebay that are
close enough to pick up that's rare. And there's been a LOT of things on
ebay I would have bid on, but seller stipulated pick up only, no
shipping. Driving to Michigan in the winter in a Ford Escort to pick up
a lathe is not exactly a workable proposition... G

Yeah, heavy, pick-up-only items usually go for a song. Driving to the
Midwest any time is not high on my To-Do list, either.

Locally, stores wanted $13 and change for a simple freakin' 3-way
light switch. (I wanted to pee on the displays.) Trotted home and got
on eBay, found them (brand new, of course) for $2.95 each. I ordered 2
and paid a total, with shipping of $9.30, doubling my order and saving
$4 by not using the local guy. I'll give the local guy an extra buck
or two, but not TEN. Grrrr...

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Hilti... the answer is Hilti.

Damn right. I've used a few different hammer drills in my life but my brother's Hilti is
sweet. He has good taste in tools when he uses them to earn a living.

Milkwaukee isn't bad if Hilti is to pricey.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Pete C." wrote:

Hilti... the answer is Hilti.

Damn right. I've used a few different hammer drills in my life but my
brother's Hilti is
sweet. He has good taste in tools when he uses them to earn a living.

Milkwaukee isn't bad if Hilti is to pricey.

Wes

One Hilti bit costs as much as some hammer drills.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

Milkwaukee isn't bad if Hilti is to pricey.

Wes

One Hilti bit costs as much as some hammer drills.

My brother watched ebay and got a deal on his Hilti. Now if the seller actually owned it
might be in question but my brother had no way to know.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As has been mentioned, Hilti is an excellent tool. Primarily because it
is a "rotary hammer", not a "hammer drill". There is a fundamental
difference in how they work, but I can't remember what it is G. For
the occasional concrete drilling that I do, a Hilti would be over kill.
However I have a Bosch _rotary hammer_ that I am very pleased with.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 23:18:56 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

well, the very nice, rotary hammer that I put on ebay just sold for a whole
$26, so apparently there really isn't much market for these tools

The economy has everyone by the short and curlies. Ebay has pages and
pages of tools, new and used...with damned few bids.

Gunner

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
As has been mentioned, Hilti is an excellent tool. Primarily because it
is a "rotary hammer", not a "hammer drill". There is a fundamental
difference in how they work, but I can't remember what it is G. For the
occasional concrete drilling that I do, a Hilti would be over kill.
However I have a Bosch _rotary hammer_ that I am very pleased with.

Bob

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
well, the very nice, rotary hammer that I put on ebay just sold for a
whole $26, so apparently there really isn't much market for these tools

My condolences - I hate when that happens. I think part of it was that
Red Head is not well known. I.e., doesn't have a reputation. So it's a
pig-in-the-poke and heavy enough that shipping costs are significant
($44 for where I am).

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote:

well, the very nice, rotary hammer that I put on ebay just sold for a whole
$26, so apparently there really isn't much market for these tools

It was 26 + the shipping with the no return that likely got you a low bid. I don't buy I
sorta had it running with alligator clips but you can't send it back if you can't get it
to work stuff.

DAMHIBB on buying oscillicopes that have the same shipping charges and terms.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:47:51 -0400, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Bill Noble wrote:
well, the very nice, rotary hammer that I put on ebay just sold for a
whole $26, so apparently there really isn't much market for these tools

My condolences - I hate when that happens. I think part of it was that
Red Head is not well known. I.e., doesn't have a reputation. So it's a
pig-in-the-poke and heavy enough that shipping costs are significant
($44 for where I am).

I almost bid on that but realized that I'm not drilling holes that
large. My little hammer drill can handle the 3/16" bits just fine.
Had it been a Hilti, I probably would have bid anyway. I don't know
Red Head from Adam.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

alligator clips - I suppose I could have removed the twist lock plug,
installed a regular 3 prong plug and added $ to my cost and had it sell for
the same - I think I buy the argument that Red Hat is unknown - but such is
life - the other thing I learned is that Fed Ex has changed their policy and
now will only accept "commercially manufactured boxes" for shipping - they
refused the package at first because the strapping tape had made a fold in
the cardboard and they claimed that it was therefore not "commercially
manufactured" - after some "you gotta be kidding" type discussion they took
it - but that is pretty sad - you can make a nice box, but if you aren't
"commercial" whatever that means, they can refuse your package - I think
I'll have to find another shipper, and I liked Fed Ex

"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

well, the very nice, rotary hammer that I put on ebay just sold for a
whole
$26, so apparently there really isn't much market for these tools

It was 26 + the shipping with the no return that likely got you a low bid.
I don't buy I
sorta had it running with alligator clips but you can't send it back if
you can't get it
to work stuff.

DAMHIBB on buying oscillicopes that have the same shipping charges and
terms.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote:

alligator clips - I suppose I could have removed the twist lock plug,
installed a regular 3 prong plug and added $ to my cost and had it sell for
the same - I think I buy the argument that Red Hat is unknown - but such is
life - the other thing I learned is that Fed Ex has changed their policy and
now will only accept "commercially manufactured boxes" for shipping - they
refused the package at first because the strapping tape had made a fold in
the cardboard and they claimed that it was therefore not "commercially
manufactured" - after some "you gotta be kidding" type discussion they took
it - but that is pretty sad - you can make a nice box, but if you aren't
"commercial" whatever that means, they can refuse your package - I think
I'll have to find another shipper, and I liked Fed Ex

Sheesh, I've cut down boxes many a time to make the box fit the contents. They don't
allow duct tape, the force that holds the universe together, either. Whats the world
coming to?

Wes