Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crappy tools

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:16:05 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm up over 350 items bought, usually for 5-25% of the cost, and about
half of them brand new.

I've bought at least that much. Buying on ebay has been a genuine
benefit to my business. It's finding worthwhile items on ebay that are
close enough to pick up that's rare. And there's been a LOT of things on
ebay I would have bid on, but seller stipulated pick up only, no
shipping. Driving to Michigan in the winter in a Ford Escort to pick up
a lathe is not exactly a workable proposition... G

Yeah, heavy, pick-up-only items usually go for a song. Driving to the
Midwest any time is not high on my To-Do list, either.

Locally, stores wanted $13 and change for a simple freakin' 3-way
light switch. (I wanted to pee on the displays.) Trotted home and got
on eBay, found them (brand new, of course) for $2.95 each. I ordered 2
and paid a total, with shipping of $9.30, doubling my order and saving
$4 by not using the local guy. I'll give the local guy an extra buck
or two, but not TEN. Grrrr...

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.