Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22050 Ignoramus22050 is offline

Default Crappy tools

On 2010-03-11, Jon Anderson wrote:
wrote:

Looks like I'll have to cruise the Garage sales this spring and try to
find myself a 30 year old half inch drill - - - - - - .

I have a massive B&D commercial quality, the sort that'll take you for a
ride if the drill snags. One of the brush holders broke. I've drawn the
broken part up in CAD, it's on my TODO list... In the mean time, I
bought another even bigger one at a yard sale that uses a #2MT, and came
with a 1/2" chuck. I'd bet both are nearly as old as me (low 50's)

Some time back I wrote about my experience with a cheapo 1/2" electric
impact wrench. It was noisy as hell, sounded like a rock crusher. Took
it apart to find that wasn't far from the truth, someone had
intentionally put grit into the gearbox/impact mechanism! Cleaned and
regreased, it sounded just fine. Sold it for $20 at my last yard sale,
which paid for the nice Makita 1/2" electric I found at another yard sale!

Jon

I bought a nice old 1/2" slow speed drill (deifinitely will pull your
wrist if it snags) for $5 on ebay, picked up near my house. I have
been happy with my dewalt drill however.